Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Random question for the WFO experts: Is it possible to run an 8.5 x 2.5 shock with a lot of sag? I would think the extra length plus extra travel, would sort of split the difference vs. just adding a longer travel 7.875 shock (which I know doesn't exist).

7.875 - 2.25 = 5.625 compressed shock length
    8.5 - 2.5 = 6 compressed shock length

So I guess the only question would be whether the frame "tops out" just past the stock shock length, or if it has some extra "growth" capacity built in. From the photo above, it looks like it has room. But my Kona does also, and it binds almost immediately past 7.875 eye to eye.

Thoughts? I know the BB would rise considerably. The thought would be toward a long travel AM build with a Dorado. I'm 6'1, 230# and don't mind a chunky bike.

Thanks!

EDIT: Question answered via PM - no. Rear triangle will collide.
    Last edited by Fuzz541; 09-19-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2011

WFO in its natural habitat.

Couple of photo's of my WFO in its natural habitat. First is next to the biggest tree I saw along the Willamette River trail near Oakridge, OR. The bike measures 75 inches from end to end. I estimated the Douglas-fir tree to be about 8 feet or more in diameter.

The second is the bike at the saddle at 9,600' between E. Fork Hayden Creek and Mill Creek overlooking Mill Creek lake in the Lemhi Mtn Range of Idaho. Sure do like this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-p1010008.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-p1010037.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

out riding...

mtbr member
    Nice work there.

Ever take the WFO to SWK?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have before, but not frequently, palos is a lot closer to me.

mtbr member
    I have a Cane Creek Double Barrel Air in 7.87x2.25 that has been on 1 ride I am selling because I ordered a RIP RDO. $475.00

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ehhh ... nevermind

G

mtbr member
    Anyone have any hot tips on where to find good deals on a '12 Wfo frame? I'm looking around but my google-fu is letting me down. While I'm at it, anyone know if niner does a trade-in/up program?
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    Hey kitejumping - nice video. You must have missed the memo about it being inpossible to manual 29ers, especially one with such long chainstays...

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    Anyone have any hot tips on where to find good deals on a '12 Wfo frame? I'm looking around but my google-fu is letting me down. While I'm at it, anyone know if niner does a trade-in/up program?
    I haven't heard of a trade in/up program at Niner....but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The guys at Bike Bling hooked up a friend of mine with her new RDO...you might want to check them out:

BikeBling.com - 1-800-BIKEPRO is Bike Bling

Underskilled
    Well I have my new WFO build up and running.

As you may have guessed, the trails are a little wet at the moment

I took it out for a ride with the local road bike club on Wed. Surprisingly got almost no comments!

Kept up with them fine. The 6" travel was also useful for the pot holes too =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Im looking at buying a WFO for AM and Enduro riding...... does anybody knows if there will be a 150mm Talas coming out early next year

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Chamua View Post
    Im looking at buying a WFO for AM and Enduro riding...... does anybody knows if there will be a 150mm Talas coming out early next year
    This years Fox 34 will adjust out to 150mm, I'm not sure if the Talas can be done aswell.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Updates

Yes, you can adjust the 34 to 150. But. The damper shaft isn't QUITE long enough so there is a possibility that your fork won't work properly if you perform the surgery. The good thing is that you will likely determine on the first ride if it doesn't work (loss of rebound damping I think?) and instead of doing the whole Roll Pin removal and installation again you can simply put a spacer on top. Even a 5mm spacer would solve the problem which would leave you at 145mm.

Here is the latest incarnation of the Rig. Float 34 150mm (home job, working great) with Race Face Extravaganza and XTR. Busted rear Carbon Rim from Light Bicycle is holding together for the moment.

This bike continues to amaze. It's replaced my Transition TR 250 as my favorite park bike.

JMH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-wfo9_raceface.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Hey kitejumping - nice video. You must have missed the memo about it being inpossible to manual 29ers, especially one with such long chainstays...
    Hahaha, thanks! It is definitely harder to manual than my killswitch but by no means impossible. Ditto for trials riding. The 34 at 150 is a sweet setup and those Niners are looking good, especially that last one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I wish I had mine. I ordered a black 2013 last week and it's not here yet,.. need to get fuzzy off his duff and get it here in AZ.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike,

But I want to see more pic's of the track in your yard !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Yes, you can adjust the 34 to 150. But. The damper shaft isn't QUITE long enough so there is a possibility that your fork won't work properly if you perform the surgery. The good thing is that you will likely determine on the first ride if it doesn't work (loss of rebound damping I think?) and instead of doing the whole Roll Pin removal and installation again you can simply put a spacer on top. Even a 5mm spacer would solve the problem which would leave you at 145mm.

Here is the latest incarnation of the Rig. Float 34 150mm (home job, working great) with Race Face Extravaganza and XTR. Busted rear Carbon Rim from Light Bicycle is holding together for the moment.

This bike continues to amaze. It's replaced my Transition TR 250 as my favorite park bike.

JMH

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post

JMH
    Lookin like a Weapon! Love the new RF kit

beater
    How is this not posted here yet? Nice job JMH:

WFO 9 Park Sled - JMHV's Bike Check - Vital MTB
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Colorado Freeride Festival Enduro

This was a great race, if you have the chance it's well worth it. WFO was a bit much for the pedally stages but was great in the DH and jump line stages.

JMH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-screen-shot-2012-12-20-7.47.26-pm.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-screen-shot-2012-12-20-7.53.36-pm.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-screen-shot-2012-12-20-7.58.54-pm.jpg  

were are all WFO 9s?-screen-shot-2012-12-20-8.03.53-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^sweet pics JMH

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Another fun one from a great race!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails were are all WFO 9s?-race2.jpg  

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Sweet! I switched from a RIP to a WFO last summer so I could check out some Enduro races. Glad to see it being used for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast