Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeis11 View Post
    slight threadjack here -

ive been kicking around the idea of getting a WFO, but i was very sad to see the elimination of the rc3 shock and 150 rear end options. any of those still kicking around anywhere? what shocks is everyone running on their 135 and 142s?
    I'm happy enough with the stock monarch on mine. If I had lots of money to spend I might consider some other options like an ISX6 or maybe a CCDB or Vivid but the stock shock works well enough that I'm not in any hurry to do that. That said I'm not that heavy and I've set the bike up with a 140mm fork as a solid trailbike (I don't like the phrase "all mountain") that is built to be good fun downhill yet still able to climb reasonably well. Actually the thing that surprised me most about this bike is how well it pedals. No bob at all, which makes it accelerate well out of corners and climb well. I expected it to be pretty good at going downhill, which it is

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KJL View Post
    I'd love to post photos of my new WFO, but this is only my third post. Love the bike, still have some second thoughts about waiting for the tallboy LT, but I think I can do more with the WFO in the long run. I Have some photos in my profile.

XT components
    King hubs and headset
    Stans arch's
    easton haven stem
    easton carbon flat bar
    Fizik Tundra(I hate it, Im getting the wtb)
    reverb seat post
    maxle kit
    geax saguro XC tires
    deciding between conti's or schwalbe's for AM tires
    Sounds good...which schwalbe tyres are you thinking of? I'm liking the hans dampfs at the moment, lots of cornering grip in a fairly wide range of conditions. I still want to try the minion 2.5's when they are available for 29ers though...

KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

tires and other issues

I've got the Nobby Nic's. havent gotten the chance to use them yet, sent one 2.25 back to change for a 2.35. I Loved the bike but I felt a bit crammed on it and the stand over was really high, so I sent the frame back to check out the new tallboy ltc. But now I'm having second thoughts. It might just be me, but when i tested the regular tallboy, it felt a lot more fluid/smooth through its travel. I felt it climbed really well, but I'm wondering if the the tallboy would climb better. if anyone has experience on both the VPP and CVA please share.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by KJL View Post
    I've got the Nobby Nic's. havent gotten the chance to use them yet, sent one 2.25 back to change for a 2.35. I Loved the bike but I felt a bit crammed on it and the stand over was really high, so I sent the frame back to check out the new tallboy ltc. But now I'm having second thoughts. It might just be me, but when i tested the regular tallboy, it felt a lot more fluid/smooth through its travel. I felt it climbed really well, but I'm wondering if the the tallboy would climb better. if anyone has experience on both the VPP and CVA please share.
    I have owned both & don't care if I never ride another VPP bike again.

( My VPP bike was a Carbon Tallboy )

Now ridding a Jet9 RDO, But have had Rip9 & Jet9 as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    nordic mountain downhill 5-12-12 wisconsin - YouTube

Some fun on a wfo (CCDB, Dorado), unfortunately the camera angle is terrible. I should have tested the gopro chest mount first.

KJL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    muzzanic, thanks for your input, I loved my WFO, if anything i just couldnt like the fridge green. I love going up fast as much as I love coming down fast, so i felt the WFO was a little sluggish, but i was definitely getting a lot faster.

Flaccid Member
    Did Little Creek and the standards, JEM and Goulds last week near Hurricane... Only brought one bike, the WFO, set up for trail rides with a 140mm Micro Ti, and mid HV canned RP23. Suffered a little on the climbs, due to the weight, but the payoff is coming down... 140mm just feels right, nice and plush for this old man. It's hot out there right now, really hot, summer came early, or spring is gone, or so it felt. Saw 2 bull snakes out on one ride, by 10 Am in the morning. Fair amount of gnats too near the Virgin River rim. No biting black flys, yet, like locally.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rode Little Creek again this spring. One of my favorite Utah trails. Sure is a scenic area. One of the locals showed us the petroglyphs along the trail this spring that I had never noticed before. Have a WFO on order, hoping to get it next month. Dorado Pro and other components are setting at the bike shop waiting to put on it when it gets here for some great Idaho/Montana trails and downhills. Cant wait!

Chronic 1st-timer

This one, along with several others, resides in the Niner demo trailer.
    Fun bike!

*142mm only rear spacing as of 2013 models
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post

This one, along with several others, resides in the Niner demo trailer.
    Fun bike!

*142mm only rear spacing as of 2013 models
    How do you like those wheels? I am curious of the charger pros with the straight pull spokes make for a stiffer wheel than say your standard Stans flows?

Chronic 1st-timer
    ^ I ain't the one to ask about that.

Been riding exclusively HT/rigid for 10yrs (except for some time on big park bikes), so the fancy newfangled FS had me perplexed....in a happy way.
    Can't really comment on the feel of the wheels, but they did survive me beating on them on a slightly bumpy trail.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Underskilled
    Well not really relevant to the thread, but so excited I have to share!

Carbon wheels are fitted to my WFO with some shiny new rubber.

Off to test tonight and can't wait.

Did some street last night on this and the change is HUGE. The only thing I did not like about the WFO is that it was dead in the air. When I put it in the air, that is how it stayed. Last nights playing I was throwing it around and it just danced through the air.

Can't wait for tonight.....
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pics.....PICS.......PICS!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have the same wheels on my RDO and I bet on them on the rocky AZ trails and they have stayed true. I am 225lbs and I dont feel them flex at all

mtbr member
    nothing too narly, just some pics my daughter took at the lake...

Last edited by david8613; 05-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Underskilled
    nice
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    hey cavegiant no more action pics whats up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Aussie WFO in New Zealand

Yes - more WFO pics please - it feels as though the 'woofers' have gone quiet lately.
    Here are some pics from a recent trip across "the ditch" to New Zealand. First time over there - completely different to Australia - seems like NZ has mountain biking seared into their collective consciousness...
    1.On the Queenstown Gondola - too much fun.

2. At the bottom of Sticky forest, Wanaka.

3. The Millenium Track, NZ

4. At Cardrona DH (Jono from NZ mtb taxis said it was the first 29er he had seen on the hill. It was a big, scary hill!).

5. Current configuration with Saar's head angle set - WFO feels just right at 68.5 degrees (measured with iphone inclinometer).
    Last edited by checkpoint22; 06-04-2012 at 02:57 AM.

mtbr member
    lookin good buddy!

mtbr member
    Finally saved enough for my dream WFO!

What rear shock would you recommend? Was originally planning on a CCDB, but not sure if that's still the right decision.

beater
    Sounds like you'll be buying an aftermarket shock? I'm biased b/c I'm impressed with mine, but the X-Fusion Vector DHR Air is pretty much unbeatable at the price.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Sounds like you'll be buying an aftermarket shock? I'm biased b/c I'm impressed with mine, but the X-Fusion Vector DHR Air is pretty much unbeatable at the price.
    I am embarrassed to say I didn't realize the frame came with a shock until I read your comment and double checked.

Could anyone who has used a Monarch RT3 give me a review? I know nothing about it, and can't seem to find much info on the net. Specifically how it works with the WFO?

An aftermarket shock is in the budget, and I have been looking at the CCDB Air, Fox RP23, and Manitou ISX6... how do they stack up against the RT3?

Opinions appreciated!

Underskilled
    I am under the impression that RT3 is a semi-budget shock just thrown on bikes for a complete build. Like putting an RP2 on a bike when the RP23 is far better.

The WFO has a rising then falling rate which makes shock selection VERY important.

You need to be able to tune first part of the travel linear, then very progressive.

The RP23 was OK once custom tuned and with my air chamber mod, really not recommended.

The best shock I have ever used is the ISX6, it is like the dorado, racing levels of tunability.
    You can set everything on that shock. It pedals well, it rolls fast, no stic. Basically in my eyes there is nothing I could think to improve on it.

The CCDB air would probably be a perfect fit too, but I would think the coil to be too linear.

Have not used the Xfusion, but it has a modifiable air chamber volume (thats what you need to tune to the frame rate) so could be an option.

I would say try the shock that comes with it, you might like it, but don't be surprised if it sucks arse.
    Then have a look at the 3 above.

mtbr member
    does the ccbd air fit the wfo9, what tune and size should it be for the wfo9? dam im getting that upgrade bug again!!!
    Last edited by david8613; 06-16-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Underskilled
    I have seen coil ones, just assumed that the air would fit too.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast