Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bike rider

Weight Weenieish Jet 9 Alloy.

I bought one of the $1899 Jet 9's from PricePoint with SRAM X7, Hayes Stroker Ryde brakes and a bunch of Sette stuff. It weighed 31lbs. and 3oz. when I got it but that wouldn't do so it went on a diet.

Well after changing Everything except the frame, fork and headset I got it down to 22lbs. 5oz.

Well I wanted a black wheelset so I built another set with the same hubs (Circus Monkey) same spokes and nipples (Ti and Alloy) but with American Classic 101 rims and got it down to 22lbs. 3oz. The white rims are heavier because of the powder coating. Well that was almost enough but I put my Crank Bros 4ti pedals on, took off the Bell and bottle cage and got it to 21lbs. 11oz.

Here are some close up shots of some of the componentry.

Frame Niner Jet 9 Medium
    Fork Manitou Tower Pro 120mm
    CaneCreek 10 headset........................................... ........ 4988.5g
    RaceFace Next SL carbon cranks with 26t N/W ring..............504g
    Crank Bros 4 Ti pedals............................................ ........174g
    KMC X10SL DLC chain............................................. ........221g
    eBay carbon bar............................................... .............138g
    eBay carbon post.............................................. ............144g
    eBay carbon saddle............................................ ............100g
    eBay 80mm stem with Ti bolts..........................................86g
    Formula R1 Racing brakes with alloy fixing bolts...................342g F/R
    Ashima Ai2 rotors with Alloy Ashima bolts...........................154g F/R
    Esi chunky grips cut to my hand width...............................46g
    Esi bar end plugs............................................. ...............6g
    Fouriers headset cap with alloy bolt...................................6g
    American Classic 101 rims.............................................. ..762g pr.
    Circus Monkey hubs.............................................. ..........355g pr.
    Titanium spokes and alloy nipples......................................249g
    Stans yellow tape and alloy valves....................................14g
    Rocket Ron 2.1" tires........................................450g R and 471g F
    Stans sealant, one syringe per tire....................................120g
    SRAM XO rear shifter........................................... ...........105g
    SRAM XO rear derailleur with AESM jockey wheel.................176g
    SRAM XO 10spd 11-26 cassette.......................................230 g
    Parts of Passion headset spacer 10mm...............................4g
    Halo Red bolt on skewers with Ti rods................................44g

Every single bolt on the bike was replaced with Titanium or Aluminum.

I don't know what the shifter cable and housing weigh but they don't matter in weight. I could get the really expensive cassette and lose another 70g. or 2 1/2 ounces. Maybe later. After being on a rigid SS for years I am Loving the squishy bike. Heck if I had the Jet 9 RDO frame I could lose another 1.74lbs. Maybe soon.
    Last edited by mattkock; 03-01-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

bike rider
    The way I ride it everyday with the bottle cage and bell it weighs 22lbs. 3oz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How is the Manitou Tower fork working out for you? If you have used Fox forks before, how would you compare the Manitou? I am thinking about purchasing a Manitou myself.

bike rider
    So far I really like it. I've ever only had RockShox forks for XC and I have a FOX 40 on my DH bike but the suppleness of the Tower Pro is really nice. It's pretty stiff with only a QR front axle so with a 15mm Thru it should be great. Before I cut the steerer tube my 120mm Tower Pro weighed 3.74lbs or 1696.09g, if you're into that kind of thing. I like it so much I already got one for my SS Niner too.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    The way I ride it everyday with the bottle cage and bell it weighs 22lbs. 3oz.
    There isn't any "ish", about that bike. Well done. My Gen 1 RDO setup 2x10 weighs more than your bike.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice hardtail. What's the weight?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmig View Post
    Nice hardtail. What's the weight?
    Haha, next to nothing, there is a whole other thread devoted to that one if you do a quick search.

Note: although that was with a rigid fork, would be another few pounds with suspension.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes we should ban him from posting bike weight & make him post all up ridding weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Haha, next to nothing, there is a whole other thread devoted to that one if you do a quick search.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Muzz, just paid for my Jet 9 Carbon frame, it is in the country and just needs to be shipped interstate. Build will take another week or two. It should be lightish without being crazy light.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Hey Muzz, just paid for my Jet 9 Carbon frame, it is in the country and just needs to be shipped interstate. Build will take another week or two. It should be lightish without being crazy light.
    They are very nice bikes, I never build a bike to a weight.

I always choose what I think I need & what it comes out at is what it is.

The way the Jet9 works (so well ) make it feel even lighter than it is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Weight Weenieish Jet 9 Alloy.

Very nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I always choose what I think I need & what it comes out at is what it is.
    Beautifully stated.

bike rider
    I have never built a bike to hit a weight. I just build bikes that I want to ride with parts that I have already tried and liked or wanted to try. I have ridden every part on this bike on other bikes that I own and really liked them but the new stuff that I wanted to test out are the American Classic 101 rims because they are as light as Stans Crests but as stiff as Archs and the Raceface Next cranks because I was kind of tired of riding cranks from the 1990's. So far I like my choices with the new stuff. That being said now I'm a little curious to see what this thing would weigh built up on a Jet RDO frame. I think it's 1.74lbs lighter than the alloy one.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have never built a bike to hit a weight. I just build bikes that I want to ride with parts that I have already tried and liked or wanted to try. I have ridden every part on this bike on other bikes that I own and really liked them but the new stuff that I wanted to test out are the American Classic 101 rims because they are as light as Stans Crests but as stiff as Archs and the Raceface Next cranks because I was kind of tired of riding cranks from the 1990's. So far I like my choices with the new stuff. That being said now I'm a little curious to see what this thing would weigh built up on a Jet RDO frame. I think it's 1.74lbs lighter than the alloy one.
    Well you had me fooled as all your bikes seem to end up very near to a rounded pound

Seriously nice bikes and component choices, I am running Manitou Tower Pro's on my Banshee Paradox.

My Jet 9C frame just arrived and it is 2317grams for the large. RDO is probably a few grams lighter.

bike rider
    Nice! Do a build thread for it. I Love this bike so far. First Enduro is this Saturday in Austin, Texas.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nice! Do a build thread for it. I Love this bike so far. First Enduro is this Saturday in Austin, Texas.
    Done.

My Jet 9 Carbon build

Always Learning
    Race that sucker like you stole it this year!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How did you like the crest rim and circus monkey hub combo? I'm thinking of building a set.

bike rider
    I like them a lot but the Crests were flexy compared to the American Classic 101 rims. I like the AC's so much that I have the exact same wheels on my Jet and SIR. The 101's weigh 1g more than Crests but are as stiff or stiffer than Arch's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll skip over on the crests then. are the hubs decent? Ive heard the older ones had a tendency to self destruct

bike rider
    Yeah I blew up a set of the old ones but I've had zero issues with the HDW2 and the HDW3's are really nice. My 101's on HDW2's and Ti spokes with alloy nipples weigh 1401g with Stans yellow tape and valves. Crazy light for not much money.

Always Learning
    Yeah I blew up a set of the old ones but I've had zero issues with the HDW2 and the HDW3's are really nice. My 101's on HDW2's and Ti spokes with alloy nipples weigh 1401g with Stans yellow tape and valves. Crazy light for not much money.
    And - how'd the bike do in the first Enduro?

I've got my first race this Saturday and my JET 9 + racer's body weight combo is 12 pounds ligther this year!!! But the bike hasn't lost an ounce from what it weighed last year...

bike rider
    Well I didn't do the Enduro 2 weeks ago. It rained like crazy and it would have been my first time riding a gnarly trail in the rain so I skipped it. I am Loving the bike though. I did a Mountain Bike Festival at Reveille Paek Ranch in Burnett Texas outside of Austin last weekend and the bike was great. I have No idea how I did that place on a rigid SS 3 years ago. I have had 2 knee surgeries and 2 spinal surgeries since then but damn I must be out of shape because that place is Hard, and FUN.

I did have a little mishap though. I was doing a DH section and passing some riders and when I went by I head someone yell out "Matt Kock" so I stopped and it was a friend from Houston. I set my bike down, took one step backwards and POW this loud pop came from my left leg. Anyone within 30ft. of me heard it and asked, was that your knee and I said No that was my left calf. I was still 4 miles form the car and it Hurt BAD. I couldn't put weight on it and thought there was no way someone could get back there to give me a ride out (it's pretty dense). After a few minutes I knew I had to get out so I got on my bike and my buddy Mark Lea put his right hand on my back and pushed me out. All 4 miles of singletrack, up climbs and I got to coast the downhills. Well as you could imagine it was Excruciating.

Well after an Mri and an ultrasound I found out that I have a Level 2 tear in my left calf muscle and will be off the bike for 2 months minimum. Usually when I build a new bike it rains for 3 weeks and right about now I would love for that to be the only thing keeping me off my bike. Here are some post ride shots of my bike a little dirty.

Everyone that sees me on the trail asks, is this your first ride on that. Well no I just clean my bikes after every ride. It makes them Happy.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    How is the ride of the RS monarch on the jet? Looking at two closeouts - one with an rp23 and one with a monarch. Any regrets?

bike rider
    I really like it. It feels like it has way more than 80mm of travel. I bought the PricePoint one and changed everything but the frame and headset. I rode one with the Fox and it isn't as nice, a little harsh and yes I set them both up to my weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast