Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Good to hear. I'll go with the pricepoint frame.

Always Learning
    Holy crap on the torn calf muscle!!!! Sorry to hear about that, but I do wish you all the best through the healing and rehab process.

Let us know what the medical experts think caused the calf to partially tear. Was it from the riding? Some other stress on the leg? Or from a prior injury?

Hopefully, with proper healing and rehab you'll be back on the bike sometime this summer.

bike rider
    The doc said it could have been any number of things that caused it. I've already started the PT process and it's feeling better but I won't push it I have too many cool Mtb trips planned this summer, June in AngelFire NM and July in Whistler so I'll stick with the program.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

bike rider
    Here is the new rear tire I'm putting on my JET. It's a 2.1" Schwalbe Thunder Burt. I'm also going to build up a set of 35mm wide eBay carbon rims on Chris King hubs with Ti spokes and 2.35" Knobby Nic tires for some of the Gnarlier trails in Austin and out further west.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    I really like it. It feels like it has way more than 80mm of travel. I bought the PricePoint one and changed everything but the frame and headset. I rode one with the Fox and it isn't as nice, a little harsh and yes I set them both up to my weight.
    I bought the 100mm tower fork for my A9C build. Reviews were great and price was way cheaper with the PP sale. The fork looks way better with the niner sticker than the manitou ones. Not important but i noticed it right away.

bike rider
    Ok so I've got some mileage on her and she is sweet. I've changed the shift cable to a Gore Ride On, the rear tire to a Thunder Burt, the saddle and I daily on Egg Beater 1's. 21lbs 14oz is her daily weight and I really enjoy being on a squishy bike after 17 years on a rigid SS. It feels like my DH bike. Here she is how she sits now.

Here she is with her twin SS. Every single part is the same except the seatpost and of course the stuff to make the Jet squishy and geared.

Always Learning
    How's the recovery going on your tear? Hopefully everything is on track.

Since January 6th, I've trimmed 20 pounds off of the rider/JET 9 alloy combination.

Edit: How's the gearing at top end speed (such as a sprint to catch up or to the line - or bombing down a hill)?
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 05-11-2014 at 06:02 AM.

bike rider
    Hell yeah. WTG I still have a week and a half before I can get out there again. I went to and watched all my buddies at a race on Sunday. I rode around just to take pictures. It felt ok.

When I ordered my A9C I weighed 204 and when it came in 3 months later I weighed 170.4. I was pretty proud of myself but at anything below 180 my wife thinks I look funny.

Always Learning
    Hell yeah. WTG I still have a week and a half before I can get out there again. I went to and watched all my buddies at a race on Sunday. I rode around just to take pictures. It felt ok.

When I ordered my A9C I weighed 204 and when it came in 3 months later I weighed 170.4. I was pretty proud of myself but at anything below 180 my wife thinks I look funny.
    Funny is good when it comes to bike racing (as in skinny funny)....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know this post is a couple months old but can you tell me what water bottle cage this is in the photo?

So far I really like it. I've ever only had RockShox forks for XC and I have a FOX 40 on my DH bike but the suppleness of the Tower Pro is really nice. It's pretty stiff with only a QR front axle so with a 15mm Thru it should be great. Before I cut the steerer tube my 120mm Tower Pro weighed 3.74lbs or 1696.09g, if you're into that kind of thing. I like it so much I already got one for my SS Niner too.

bike rider
    It's a Blackburn cage. I really like them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It looks like a nice cage - especially on that beautiful bike.

mtbr member
    Good tip on the Tower pro forks! I got an 80mm for my hardtail and they're nice and plush. They certainly punch above their weight for the price!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2