mtbr member

Water in my Air 9 RDO Frame

I was having problems shifting with my front derailleur on my Air 9 RDO. With the internal cable routing, my shop had to pop the crankset and bottom bracket off to check things out. Swapping out the derailleur cable seemed to fix my shifting problems, but looking inside the frame after removing the bracket, there was a bunch of water in there. Anyone else had this problem? I had ridden a race a few weeks earlier where there were a few creek crossings that could have been the culprit, I suppose the water leaks into the frame from the little hole where the front derailleur cable exits out of the frame. So is this normal? Anyone else had this issue? Is the water coming in from the derailleur cable hole? What is the easiest way to drain this water? Will it create any problems if it isn't drained often?

mtbr member
    Good question. I had the exact same issue with my Rip. Took out the bottom bracket and about 1/4 of a glass of water came out. Needless to say I was very surprised and concerned about this.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You really should take your seatpost out and let your frame sit upside down after riding in any water. I used to live in the NW and it was a weekly thing. You shouldnt need to take your crankset out to replace cables on the air9 rdo though...
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.