two wheel whore

Water in lower front pivot

Update 7/31/13 - Niner is sending me out a replacement linkage. Will update the thread as soon as it arrives.

~~~

I've attached two pictures after servicing the lower pivots on my WFO. Has less than 150 miles on it. The axle/cylinder has scoring on it, I figured that's where the creak was coming from. After greasing it, it was quiet for today's ride.

Just wondering if anyone else saw this when servicing their Niner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water in lower front pivot-img_20130707_135651.jpg  

Water in lower front pivot-img_20130707_135700.jpg  

Last edited by Shmoo; 07-31-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Does that scoring go 360 degrees around the bolt, or is it just on the section shown in the photo?

mtbr member
    I've had water in that same pivot location every time I've had it apart. I doubt it's getting in through the seat tube (at least on my RIP) and more than likely, it's water getting in through the stem/head tube area and running down the down tube when rinsing the bike off. Also, I saw your question about the axle scoring in my thread about the creaking issue I'm currently fighting with. I don't have any scoring like that shown in your photo. My axles are anodized red, and they do have a few areas where the ano is rubbed through slightly, but no wear in the allow part itself.

two wheel whore
    Lasted an hour or so before the noise came back. The scoring is all the way around ...i think its from removal (loosening the pivot).

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    Lasted an hour or so before the noise came back. The scoring is all the way around ...i think its from removal (loosening the pivot).
    The scoring is a bit worrisome, unless you are pretty sure it was caused from spinning the bolt when removing it. One way to make sure the bolt is not spinning by itself would be to mark the bolt head position with some paint or the like and see if it has moved after a ride.

two wheel whore
    Thanks, I'll try that. It is really hard to move/remove/install it. The rear one comes right out. I'm wondering if this is normal.

mtbr member
    How are you making out with the creaking issue? I pulled my lower linkage apart due to the creak returning and found that the rear pivot axle was scored on one side. After a call to support at Niner, they sent me a replacement lower linkage and pivot assembly to try. The creak is gone now and I now have three long rides so far. I'm thinking the scored area was the cause of the creak due to a metal to metal contact in that area that was binding some how. I plan on tearing the pivots down (at least the lower linkage) a couple times a year now to keep an eye on this and also clean things up and put a thin coat of grease on the pivot axles.

two wheel whore
    Thank you for your update! I will contact Niner today. The scoring has to be the cause of the creaks. I'm glad you got yours figured out.