Bicycle rider

Water in Air9 frame

Several times now I have noticed water coming out of the holes in the back of the chainstays when I make the bike vertical. On my normal rides I do cross several streams but I don't think the water is high enough to get in through the chainstay holes. Anyone having this issue? Any idea on how to solve this issue? Thanks!
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

COMBO - President
    I am someone who never rides wet or mud mostly due to the fact that I am also a trail steward and hate to damage a trail. Last weekend, the weatherman completely blew the forecast and we were caught in torrential downpours.

Short version, I have a new headset and bottom bracket on my 6 month old RIP. It was trashed, the mech who worked on it said, water just poured out of the frame. I saw the old headset bearings and the corrosion was amazing.

Do these new tapered headsets have a water vulnerability? Bottom bracket?

MTB B'dos
    WOW What crankset/BB combo are you running Dude? I know the low pivots on the RIP9/WFO9 are subject to being easily submerged and I did it within the first 2 months of having the bike and all I suffered was the cheap original bearings Niner specd corroded to hell up, but my XT BB was just fine. Before I had the RIP9 I had a Trance and we went out once and got caught in a torrential downpour that saw us having to walk down clay hills with 2ft of water rushing by and I never experienced any issues with any bearings - same XT crankset and bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTK
    I am someone who never rides wet or mud mostly due to the fact that I am also a trail steward and hate to damage a trail. Last weekend, the weatherman completely blew the forecast and we were caught in torrential downpours.

Short version, I have a new headset and bottom bracket on my 6 month old RIP. It was trashed, the mech who worked on it said, water just poured out of the frame. I saw the old headset bearings and the corrosion was amazing.

Do these new tapered headsets have a water vulnerability? Bottom bracket?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Bicycle rider
    The Air9 doesn't have a tapered headset and I have have a King on it. The BB and crank are XT. I checked and the BB is tight so I would assume that is not the issue.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Several times now I have noticed water coming out of the holes in the back of the chainstays when I make the bike vertical. On my normal rides I do cross several streams but I don't think the water is high enough to get in through the chainstay holes. Anyone having this issue? Any idea on how to solve this issue? Thanks!
    Do you hang your bike up when you're not riding it? (ie from the front wheel) If so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. It's scandium, so it's not going to rust, and if you're hanging it up and the water is running out of the frame than it's not likely that the bb is being soaked all the time.

You're headset might be a different story, but as long as you take the fork off occasionally and let any moisture out of the headtube I think you should be fine.

As a side note, I also have a NIner Air 9 and I cross several streams on my regular rides and have never noticed water draining from the frame when I hang it up.

COMBO - President
    I run a XTR BB and the stock Niner headset that came with the frame. The headset has to have a tapered interface edge to the headtube, I am not aware of any other mfg of that type.
    Last edited by FASTK; 06-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I run a XTR BB and the stock Niner headset that came with the frame. The headset has to have a tapered interface edge to the headtube, I am not aware of any of mfg of that type.
    Cane Creek makes a headset that is compatible with that frame.

MTB B'dos
    Shimano isn't known for properly greasing their BB bearings (well actualy alot of manufacturers had badly or totally lacking grease in bearings) I'd consider replacing the BB with either a complete Enduro Ceramic version or buy the Ceramic Bearings and replace the stock crap Shimano specs.

Headset, try to find another brand to replace it with as obviously the seals aren't very good on whatever Niner is sending out with the frames. Also when you get it, pull the seals on the bearings and check that they have in enough grease and that it's a good water proof grease.

I run a XTR BB and the stock Niner headset that came with the frame. The headset has to have a tapered interface edge to the headtube, I am not aware of any other mfg of that type.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

COMBO - President
    Enduro BB is already on order. :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had some water run out of my frame after a fairly deep river crossing (paved) on the way to a ride. I just stick it on the stand and flip it upside down for awhile.

I've ridden other bikes through river crossings that were top tube deep before with no issues whatsoever to bearings or 4130 cromoly frame. One of those bikes is 20 years old now and the King HS, Bullseye hubs, and Gecko/Klein BB are still in perfect running order. Oh, and it's a steel frame and shows no rust issues.

I think people worry too much!

COMBO - President
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleboy
    I had some water run out of my frame after a fairly deep river crossing (paved) on the way to a ride. I just stick it on the stand and flip it upside down for awhile.

I've ridden other bikes through river crossings that were top tube deep before with no issues whatsoever to bearings or 4130 cromoly frame. One of those bikes is 20 years old now and the King HS, Bullseye hubs, and Gecko/Klein BB are still in perfect running order. Oh, and it's a steel frame and shows no rust issues.

I think people worry too much!
    Mine wasn't a worry issue it was an actual failure issue, empirical evidence not conjecture.