mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Warranty Replacement - rip vs jet

So, add me to the cracked seat tube jet 9 rdo club. Working on getting a replacement, but am considering going with the rip RDO instead.

Heres my line of reasoning:

Current build in this thread:

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven

Let me explain my riding style. I mostly ride at my local park, and do a few xc races and time trials and xterras per year. The races I do are trails such as Flat Rock Ranch and Camp Eagle, both legendary texas trails. I would put these on the most technical end of xc racing. So I am basically doing nothing more than about 3-4 ft drops, and not really doing hits or jumping. So my question is, I guess I would catergorize myself as an "aggressive" xc rider. I love to race so weight matters. However, there are a few gnarly drops and lines that I do routinely where I wish I had a dropper post. Not sure about more travel as I have never really had an all mountain bike. I seem to use every bit if the 100mm on the jet, but cant say I have an issue with it bottoming out constantly. All of this being said, do I sound like a good candidate for a Rip rdo? Or should i stick with my super light xc style build and not worry about it? Will the longer travel and heavier bike make me give up too much at the races? I know niner has had issues with this frame, but I also feel like I rode it pretty hard for a light xc bike. Dont want to be here again in 6 mos, niners fault or not.

And before anyone says it, i dont want two FS xc bikes. Too similar. Next will be a steel singlespeed.

Carbon & Ti rule
    1st up I love Jet9 RDO's, I run dropper seat posts on both my 2012 Tang bike & 2013 Green bike & they worked well.

To me you sound like the type of person the Rip9 RDO was made for.

My Rip9 RDO is 26.6 lb with the dropper seat post, 1 lb more than what my jet9 RDO was with the same build.

If you are taking the same build the Rip9 RDO is very close to the Jet9 RDO for speed & climbing.

I like the Rip9 RDO more than the Jet9 RDO, Because it is just more at home in the ruffer stuff than the Jet9 RDO & is all but in the same league in the smooth stuff.

You would however need a New BB & maybe cranks ( 156 q & BB30 are no good on Rip9 RDO, Also you need to go 142x12 axle & also go from 31.6 seat post to 30.9.

Then there is working out what way you want to go with fork.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well you broke your Jet, doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

I agree with Muz that the Rip9 RDO sounds like your kind of bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Muz, i thought you might have an opinion on the subject. Your original thread about the green bike inspired a lot of what i did on my build last year. I agree that the jet is a great great bike. But I think you guys confirmed what was already pretty obvious - i might enjoy the rip a little more.

So, cranks, bb, and thru axle conversion are no big deal. Lets talk about the fork. I am reading great things about this new pike. A mudered out one would certainly complement the blue. Or should I go with the blue revelation from niner? 140 vs 130 would both be a lot since i am coming from 100.

Which would leave my current white sid without a home... So u probably need to get a ss frame for that...

Muzz you like the pike if im not mistaken?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes my Rip9 RDO has the 140mm Pike with 46mm offset & I like it a lot more than other forks I have owned.

I have a X Fusion Trace on my Rip9 Alloy & that IMO is the best of the rest.

I'm not a fan of the Fox 34.

I quite liked my Revelation RCT3 & RL, More so than my White brothers Loop.

But The Pike is the go to fork for me.

As for 130mm travel, Well I'm sure they are ok for some but this bike just wants you to beat up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmares View Post
    Muz, i thought you might have an opinion on the subject. Your original thread about the green bike inspired a lot of what i did on my build last year. I agree that the jet is a great great bike. But I think you guys confirmed what was already pretty obvious - i might enjoy the rip a little more.

So, cranks, bb, and thru axle conversion are no big deal. Lets talk about the fork. I am reading great things about this new pike. A mudered out one would certainly complement the blue. Or should I go with the blue revelation from niner? 140 vs 130 would both be a lot since i am coming from 100.

Which would leave my current white sid without a home... So u probably need to get a ss frame for that...

Muzz you like the pike if im not mistaken?

Always Learning
    So, add me to the cracked seat tube jet 9 rdo club. Working on getting a replacement, but am considering going with the rip RDO instead.

Heres my line of reasoning:

Current build in this thread:

Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build...this one goes to eleven

Let me explain my riding style. I mostly ride at my local park, and do a few xc races and time trials and xterras per year. The races I do are trails such as Flat Rock Ranch and Camp Eagle, both legendary texas trails. I would put these on the most technical end of xc racing. So I am basically doing nothing more than about 3-4 ft drops, and not really doing hits or jumping. So my question is, I guess I would catergorize myself as an "aggressive" xc rider. I love to race so weight matters. However, there are a few gnarly drops and lines that I do routinely where I wish I had a dropper post. Not sure about more travel as I have never really had an all mountain bike. I seem to use every bit if the 100mm on the jet, but cant say I have an issue with it bottoming out constantly. All of this being said, do I sound like a good candidate for a Rip rdo? Or should i stick with my super light xc style build and not worry about it? Will the longer travel and heavier bike make me give up too much at the races? I know niner has had issues with this frame, but I also feel like I rode it pretty hard for a light xc bike. Dont want to be here again in 6 mos, niners fault or not.

And before anyone says it, i dont want two FS xc bikes. Too similar. Next will be a steel singlespeed.
    RIP all the way. Gear of the Year award from FeedTheHabit.com. Heck, I'd even consider the alloy RIP...

RIP 9 Bike Check on Vimeo

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    RIP all the way. Gear of the Year award from FeedTheHabit.com. Heck, I'd even consider the alloy RIP...

RIP 9 Bike Check on Vimeo
    Why choose ?, When 1 of each is easier on the brain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warranty Replacement - rip vs jet-green-rip9-008.jpg  

Warranty Replacement - rip vs jet-green-rip9-002.jpg  

Warranty Replacement - rip vs jet-rip9-rdo-i9-trail-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Why choose ?
    I knew it was coming. And yet, its still so beautiful.

But until last week, I was finally happy with my bike stable (fleetingly of course.) I just ordered a car with carbon inlays to match all my bikes. So, explaining another bike in the garage may be... Treacherous.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I knew it was coming. And yet, its still so beautiful.

But until last week, I was finally happy with my bike stable (fleetingly of course.) I just ordered a car with carbon inlays to match all my bikes. So, explaining another bike in the garage may be... Treacherous.
    Yes, I built the Alloy Rip9 a while ago, But only told my wife about it last week when I wanted to take it away.

It looks like the price I have to pay for not telling her about it before I brought it is that she is going to buy a camper van ( To go away MTBing ) so more of a reward than a hard ship.