mtbr member
    Aug 2010

W.F.O. 9 Size Small Impressions

I am looking to build a new ride. I am 5'7" ~150# w/30" inseam. I currently ride is a 2009 Stumpjumper FSR 29er medium (was my opportunity to dabble in big wheels without big commitment - love what the wheels do - not thilled with the lack of refinement in the suspension...). Wouldn't mind a little more travel that is more controlled. I would classify my intended use of this bike as trial riding - I like all kinds of riding - climbing, jumping, drops, fast decents - haven't met a trail yet I didn't like. My question - how the 5.5" of the WFO works in the small frame and the overall impression small frame WFO riders have with how the bike handles, manages the travel and feels in mixed conditions. Not much on this bike for the vertically challenged. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Flaccid Member
    Can't directly help you in the small department, but I did get in a good ride on an XL last week, and I will myself probably lean toward a Large.

The version I rode was pretty amazing, climbed great for a 5.5" bike, had the DHX shock with a 150mm rear, and was running a Manitou Dorado fork. It was a plush set up, coming off my 4.5" RIP. Plenty of capability to do more of the big hit stuff. Climbed surprisingly well for how big a bike it is.

Keep in mind, I come off of a RIP, so the WFO feels pretty damn good to me with minimal riding style adjustment.

Built right, and adjusting the suspension tune should get you a bike that you'll love to ride. When I get one, I'm going to set mine up more All Mountain and less freeride oriented.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the reply RandyBoy. It is helpful. However, this is what I was a little (no pun intended) afraid of... not many smalls out there. I can never be sure how the XL or L frame experience translates to the S. I'm not in a rush so I'm holding out hope that I'll get to try one of these things myself. Maybe have to pay a visit to Niner on my next trip to CA.

To anyone in the New England area who has a Small WFO built up that wouldn't mind letting me give her a spin... I'd love to meet you at your favorite trail for a ride and after - chat up the virtues of the WFO over a beer or six at the watering hole of your choice on me.

Flaccid Member
    Tell you what, in the event you can't get your paws on a WFO in Small to demo, get ahold of a RIP to demo in a small, and then picture it with 25 to 30% more suspension, and perhaps a little bit more slacked out, or more All Mountain for the WFO, versus "Trail" for the RIP. I believe, if you run 140mm forks on both of them, the head tube angle works out to about 70* on both of them, though most go with a 120mm fork on the RIP.

That's the impression I came away with after riding the WFO, more travel, plush ride, still climbs great, just a bit bigger, tougher, more burly, same great Niner handling, once you dial the suspension in for your riding style. It's a very fun ride, for sure.

Check the specs on Niners site, there are some folks that might say you fit better on a medium, depending on how long your torso is for your 5' 7" height. It's a very individual choice.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 08-26-2010 at 07:16 PM.