mtbr member
    May 2011

The unveiling - my new Niner Rip 9

All,

Been waiting a while to share this with you. Finally finished the build of my new Niner Rip 9:

Revelation XX 140mm fork
    Kore handlebar (730 mm)
    70 mm Syncros stem
    CaneCreek 110 headset
    XT FD 786
    XT FC 785 (38t/26t)
    XTR shifters
    XT rear derailleur
    Avid Elixir CR brakes (180 mm rotor in front, 160mm in back)
    DNM dropper post
    Velocity rims (Hope EVO2 hub in front with 20mm thru axle)
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35 in front, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in back (tubeless)

I've taken it out twice and love it. Still dialing in the suspension and getting used to the 29er handling compared to the 26er. First ride I cleared stuff easily that I would only clear 1 in 10 times in the past . I can't wait to get in a solid ride this weekend.

For those building a Niner, here are some of my key learnings:

1. the new Niners require a tapered fork. This means that the bottom and top have different diameters and the headset you purchase should also have different diameters. It is obvious as day now, however, I didn't quite get it . Anyway, make sure you look for a tapered fork and a headset with the correct dimensions.

2. Seat collar was included with the frame.

3. Some brake hose kits only have one hose. Thus, if you plan to redo your brake lines with custom color hosing, make sure that you buy the correct number of kits.

4. If you plan to increase your rotor size, then buy the correct adapter.

5. Have your wheels built after you select your fork. a 20mm thru axle requires the correct hub (again, very obvious after the fact). I bought a set of wheels and had to have one of them rebuilt.

Anyway, all in all it was a great experience. I built it from ground up and it was a lot of fun. It didn't fall apart on the first two rides so I'm happy about that!!! Happy trails all and feel free to PM me if you have a question on your build. I may not be able to answer it, but I sure had a few when I was building mine. The internet is a great resource. Take care.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The unveiling - my new Niner Rip 9-my-niner.jpg  

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Bike looks bad arse...!

What color and size frame is it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hot Tamale and Large. I'm 5'11 with a 33.5" inseam. Bike fits great!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Have you weighed the bike?

mtbr member
    Your front brake cable should be routed inside the fork leg. And I would trim most of the cables up front, quite messy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SPAM: I think you need a skid plate to keep that bike looking nice: Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice bike but now you are going to need to wait for your friends when they can't keep up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Very nice, I love my RIP and I'm sure you will too. How does the 140mm fork feel? I'm on the fence about upgrading my TALAS 120 to 140 this summer.

Let's Ride!
    Nice bike, looking forward to riding with ya....

doug

@trailgrinder
    Nice build man, looks like you learned a lot and will be ready for your ext build. Looks like a fun bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

RIP with 140

I have a RIP with a 140 as well (talas) he is correct put the front brake cable in the leg not out .and trim the KS cable by about 4 inches. were not picking on you it;s just that the first good wreck you have those are going to get ripped off (then you will have no front brake)

I took of my Joplin to swap it with a new Kronolog, also i'm getting a new angleset to slackout the head more

your build looks great, congrats on your first ground up project now you can truly appreciate your bike>and you know how to fix it now!

(FYI for anyone that did notice yes it is a Float with TALAS innards - my friend and I had them swapped- i had to have a white one )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The unveiling - my new Niner Rip 9-rip-new-fork.jpg  

Last edited by Buddy408; 05-16-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: picture