Been waiting a while to share this with you. Finally finished the build of my new Niner Rip 9:
Revelation XX 140mm fork
Kore handlebar (730 mm)
70 mm Syncros stem
CaneCreek 110 headset
XT FD 786
XT FC 785 (38t/26t)
XT rear derailleur
Avid Elixir CR brakes (180 mm rotor in front, 160mm in back)
DNM dropper post
Velocity rims (Hope EVO2 hub in front with 20mm thru axle)
Panaracer Rampage 2.35 in front, Maxxis Ardent 2.25 in back (tubeless)
I've taken it out twice and love it. Still dialing in the suspension and getting used to the 29er handling compared to the 26er. First ride I cleared stuff easily that I would only clear 1 in 10 times in the past . I can't wait to get in a solid ride this weekend.
For those building a Niner, here are some of my key learnings:
1. the new Niners require a tapered fork. This means that the bottom and top have different diameters and the headset you purchase should also have different diameters. It is obvious as day now, however, I didn't quite get it . Anyway, make sure you look for a tapered fork and a headset with the correct dimensions.
2. Seat collar was included with the frame.
3. Some brake hose kits only have one hose. Thus, if you plan to redo your brake lines with custom color hosing, make sure that you buy the correct number of kits.
4. If you plan to increase your rotor size, then buy the correct adapter.
5. Have your wheels built after you select your fork. a 20mm thru axle requires the correct hub (again, very obvious after the fact). I bought a set of wheels and had to have one of them rebuilt.
Anyway, all in all it was a great experience. I built it from ground up and it was a lot of fun. It didn't fall apart on the first two rides so I'm happy about that!!! Happy trails all and feel free to PM me if you have a question on your build. I may not be able to answer it, but I sure had a few when I was building mine. The internet is a great resource. Take care.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »