mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Trying to get the most from my jet 9

Looking for recommendations to help get the most of my jet 9 project.

Alum jet 9 start to finish:

Craigslist find. v2.1 complete X9/XO build, Reba XX, Crest hoops, aero spokes, Hope Pro Evo 2 hubs, carbon xxx bars, Thompson post, Elixir R brakes.

Had some problems. Replaced a Crest rim, bearings, Hope cassette driver, tune-up, bleed, etc. Opted for new maxis rubber and precautionary repairs, such as, shock/fork seals, new tubeless valves stems, etc.
    Really like the ride! Spent time with a fit pro. He already had my base measurements from a previous fit. Got tweaked out pretty cheap.
    Replaced the Hope caps to allow 10mm and 9mm thru bolts. Installed DT Swiss RWS axles front and rear.

By this time I was even more impressed with the feel. Decided to go ahead and build it out the exact way that I really wanted it. Shelled for a XX1 group set with trigger shift and 168Q cranks. Yes, another Hope cassette driver for the XX1.
    Had to get rid of those Elixirís. Went with Hope Evo M4 Race brakes front and rear.

Worked with my LBS on parts and labor except I did the RP23 shock seals myself.
    Spent a grand total of about $3,600 bucks for a pretty decent ride.

Iím happy. The bike is a rocket. It weighs in at 25.7 with pedals. May not have been the best route for the money or weight but I made the best of what I started, I learned a ton, and had fun doing it. Itís a total blast to ride and because of that my fitness and abilities have improved considerably.

Appreciate any recommendations to help me get the most from this jet 9.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Sounds like you had a pretty good hit at it.

mtbr member
    Yep, sounds like you have it all hammered out at this point. Work on the engine from this point on.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    If you are happy, then you're done. Ride as much as you can and take it on a road trip or two this summer to a place you've never ridden before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The jet 9 has been out for a long time now. Figured you guys have already hashed out the various set-ups, products, etc that work best. Good to know Iím doing okay with that

I put in a 41-mile trail ride yesterday. Thatís a personal best for me! The whole bike performed flawlessly. Iíve got about 200 miles on the XX1 package and still canít come up with any complaints. Itís so nice to shift!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yea if it was mine I would put a Through Axle fork & carbon rims on it, but that would only just help it a little, But the most part you have got the bits that really count.

I like the I9 hubs to but that doesn't add speed.

The jet 9 has been out for a long time now. Figured you guys have already hashed out the various set-ups, products, etc that work best. Good to know Iím doing okay with that

I put in a 41-mile trail ride yesterday. Thatís a personal best for me! The whole bike performed flawlessly. Iíve got about 200 miles on the XX1 package and still canít come up with any complaints. Itís so nice to shift!

Always Learning
    All sounds good. I used to run the Crest rims on my JET 9, but found stiffer rims bring out the best of the bike. A lof of that had to due with my weight (180-185). Flows work great. As do wider carbon rims for my weight.

Since I had the REBA XX 9mm QR fork, I bought the Roval Carbon wheels which have the 28mm OS endcaps that Specialized claims is stiffer than a 15mm TA. The wheels really changed how the bike rides and feels for me.

Specialized 29"ers: Roval Wheels Tech And Interview