Closekids.com

TruVativ Stylo Oct 3.3 - Thoughts?

What do you guys think about this for a Jet?

$162 seems like a very good price for a strong crank that weighs less than an XT.

Thoughts?

TruVativ Stylo OCT 3.3 175mm 22-32-44 GXP 68/73mm
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sorry, not for me. My experience with Stylo tells me that the bottom brackets last a lot shorter than Shimano and the crank bolts tend to loosen up. XT is a much better design, at least in my opinion anyway.

MTB B'dos
    Got to agree with the lama, IMHO the Shimano external design is by far the best of all manufacturers out there. The use of a pinch bolt system instead of a press fit means that the Shimano design will last you years and years whereas the others will most likely not last as long if you swap them off from bike to bike or like to do regular maintanance.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bodhisattva
    I've had a Stylo on my Sultan for 2 years that I now transferred to my RIP.

Zero problems to report. Still on the original bearings. To compare, the ext BB bearings on an XT crankset I have on another bike had to be replaced after 6 months.

Use a torque wrench and it shouldn't loosen.
    Life....the original terminal illness

MTB B'dos
    Squeaky, did you ever remove your cranks while you had the Sultan? Just curious as that's where I don't like the FSA nor Race Face or other designs. My XT's were originally on my Trance and were swapped to a couple bikes when I was trying them out and short on cranks, then transfered to my RIP9. I've removed my cranks several times for transporting my RIP9 while travelling and to try them on other bikes etc. and haven't had any issues about fit because of the pinch bolt design - FYI my XT cranks are 3.5 years old and have on prob well over 10k miles. On the bearings, the Shimano's are notorious for their lack of good grease when new, but if you regrease them with good water prof grease when you first get them they will last quite a while. Optionally you can just get some Enduro bearings to fix this issue with any of the external cranks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Squeaky, did you ever remove your cranks while you had the Sultan? Just curious as that's where I don't like the FSA nor Race Face or other designs. I've removed my cranks several times for transporting my RIP9 while travelling and to try them on other bikes etc and haven't had any issues about fit because of the pinch bolt design. On the bearings, the Shimano's are notorious for their lack of good grease when new, but if you regrease them with good water prof grease when you first get them they will last quite a while. Optionally you can just get some Enduro bearings to fix this issue with any of the external cranks.
    I removed them one time prior to moving them to the RIP. Removal/installation is a piece of cake.

I think XTs are very nice also - really, to me they are equivalent with advantage to Stylo for cost
    Life....the original terminal illness

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Stylos were nothing but trouble for me. Continual loosening, and didn't care what I torqued it to. XT Hollowtech are my standard cranks now. Won't bother with anything else.

/Edit to be a bit clearer I think the the Stylos have a design flaw in that the bearing load and the crank holder-on are the same bolt. The XT is a much saner design with the preload separate from the crank bolts.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.