mtbr member
    Oct 2009

trouble installing bearing race onto steel fork

I know it's supposed to be a simple thing but I'm having a heck of a time pressing the bearing race onto a Niner steel fork. Why does it have a sharp corner to press the race over? Wouldn't a chamfered edge make things a lot easier? Any advice would be appreciated.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolver1529
    I know it's supposed to be a simple thing but I'm having a heck of a time pressing the bearing race onto a Niner steel fork. Why does it have a sharp corner to press the race over? Wouldn't a chamfered edge make things a lot easier? Any advice would be appreciated.
    That's pretty much a standard design, not unique to Niner forks. I use a Hozan crown race slide hammer and never had any issues. What tool are you using?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Put it in boiling water for a minute or 2 first then fit it.

mtbr member
    yep, and put the fork in the freezer for an hour... should slip on betwen the heat and the cold...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks. Got it on with a length of PVC pipe.

PSYCHOLUST
    Wow......CRYOFIT..... very smart

And Revolver1529.... I've looked at chunks of PVC and wondered if that would work

THANKS

mtbr member
    Yep, the pvc battering ram does the trick... I have a length of pvc with a pvc end cap on one end.. works like a charm although it was tougher with my steel niner fork just as revolver mentioned.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Take a hacksaw and cut a slit in the crown race. Slides right over, and super easy to take off and move to another fork. The days of a crown race needing a good solid fit over the steerer went out with the old ball/cage HS. With cartridge bearings, you just need a platform for the bearing to sit on. Most carbon road frames don't even use a race on the forks, they just build a ramp/platform into the mold.
    I cut all my King, CC, and Diacomp HS for the past 3 years, and tell my friends to do the same. Works great.

In the old days, we'd prep your fork by pulling out the campy crown race tool and cutting the seat flat and down to diameter.