trail "cleaner"

Thomson dropper and RIP RDO compatibility

Anybody running a Thomson dropper seatpost on their RIP RDO? I want to know if there is any interference between the post and the main pivot in the seat tube. Using a standard post, I have found that when I drop it for the descents.. it'll hit the main pivot after about 4-5" of drop. If I go with a dropper, I want to ensure it'll work flawlessly.
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    You should be fine, for sure there is not a lot of room but when you drop a normal seat post it has to go deeper into the frame, were as the dropper just goes deeper into its outer tube.

On my large I run 800mm seat height with a 380mm Reverb post with 125mm drop.

My friend has a med & runs 730mm seat height with 380 Reverb with 125mm drop.

What size frame & what seat height are you running ?

What length posts do they have ?

trail "cleaner"
    Thomson only sells this one for the 30.9 seatpost size.
    DP-E101 30.9 x 400mm, 125mm travel Elite Dropper Post w/ bar mount remote

will the extra 20mm length cause me grief....???
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    What seat height do you run & what frame size ?

Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    Thomson only sells this one for the 30.9 seatpost size.
    DP-E101 30.9 x 400mm, 125mm travel Elite Dropper Post w/ bar mount remote

will the extra 20mm length cause me grief....???

trail "cleaner"
    whoops... should have answered that the first time around... Medium frame with @ 8" exposed on seatpost for pedaling.
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    What seat height do you run & what frame size ?
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    My friends frame is a med & the most post that I can fit into the frame with a std seat post is 165mm

So with a 400mm post the lowest would leave 235mm out of the frame, & that's 9 & 1/4 inches so the 400mm is to long for you.

You maybe better to get a Reverb 355mm

whoops... should have answered that the first time around... Medium frame with @ 8" exposed on seatpost for pedaling.

trail "cleaner"
    looks like my options were just narrowed.... Any issues with the Reverb and creaking? I HATE the slop in most dropper seatposts and many creak like a son of gun after a few rides. That's why I was particularly wanted the Thomson...
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have had a good run with Reverb, No creaking or slop.

looks like my options were just narrowed.... Any issues with the Reverb and creaking? I HATE the slop in most dropper seatposts and many creak like a son of gun after a few rides. That's why I was particularly wanted the Thomson...

Loser
    I have had a Reverb for 2 seasons the first one went back after 3 months, the replacement has been good since then. There is slight side to side movement, but very little. It developed a slight drop - where it wouldn't go up the last 1/4" for a few weeks, but it seemed to have fixed itself. I know how stupid that sounds, but its true. My seat creaks, but its the seat, not the post, the seat clamp is really good. I would buy another one.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    If a medium frame will allow 165mm of seat post insertion looks like you would end up with about 110mm of post sticking above the seat post clamp with a Thomson dropper completely lowered.

http://bikethomson.com/wp-content/up...or-website.jpg

trail "cleaner"
    I took a 400mm seatpost off of my Tang JET and inserted it into my RDO seat tube until it ran into the main pivot. It still had > 9" of seatpost exposed. My normal "pedaling" seatpost exposed height is 7.5" - 7 3/4" max .
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    How did you get a 31.6 seat post into a 30.9 hole?

Is your tang jet alloy ?

I took a 400mm seatpost off of my Tang JET and inserted it into my RDO seat tube until it ran into the main pivot. It still had > 9" of seatpost exposed. My normal "pedaling" seatpost exposed height is 7.5" - 7 3/4" max .

trail "cleaner"
    yes it is. I've got both alloy and CF versions of the RIP's and JET's. I've posted photo's of my stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    How did you get a 31.6 seat post into a 30.9 hole?

Is your tang jet alloy ?
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Take a look the KS LEV

If you were considering the Thomson, take a look at the KS LEV. More expensive than the Reverb, but seems to be better as well. It may not be important to you, but I like the LEV's fixed cable over the Reverb's. I also like having a mechanical lever rather than hydro. The LEV comes in a shorter length that should work with your frame and exposed seatpost length, but run the calculations to be sure.

Good luck.

Big Tiki

trail "cleaner"
    Two of my riding buddies have/had the LEV. Unfortunately, both developed slop and creaked badly after a few rides.. That's why I didn't list them as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    If you were considering the Thomson, take a look at the KS LEV. More expensive than the Reverb, but seems to be better as well. It may not be important to you, but I like the LEV's fixed cable over the Reverb's. I also like having a mechanical lever rather than hydro. The LEV comes in a shorter length that should work with your frame and exposed seatpost length, but run the calculations to be sure.

Good luck.

Big Tiki
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Fair enough. I think many of the dropper posts suffer from QC issues. I chose the LEV over the less expensive Reverb for the same reasons - too many friends and online reviews complaining of Reverb failures or creaking. Hopefully yours will be trouble free. Regardless of the brand, I think the dropper post is the best upgrade to my Niner yet.

Two of my riding buddies have/had the LEV. Unfortunately, both developed slop and creaked badly after a few rides.. That's why I didn't list them as an option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In my experience, Levs creak at the saddle interface, usually because the bolts are under torqued. This is pretty easy to fix.