mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Test rode a RIP 9 yesterday

Since the redesigned RIP has come out, I've been thinking about buying a new frame, and swapping over the parts from my Stump Comp FSR to it. But wanted to make sure it's a definite step up before I did. So yesterday I had the chance to visit a Niner dealer and find out.

Despite them telling me in an earlier email that they had the new models in stock, all they had built up were two of the older ones. But I rode them anyway, just to get an idea.

A couple years ago, I had bought a Niner MCR frame and built it up as my introduction to 29ers. Since Niners seem to run a bit large, I had a medium frame, and it fit me perfectly, so I assumed the same would go for the RIP. How wrong I was. The medium RIP felt cramped, even after adjusting seat height a bit, and moving it back as far as it could go on the seatpost. Still felt like I was in a fetal position on the bike, my knees and elbows felt like they were crammed into my body. With the shock left fully open, there was no pedal bob at all, they had a small test loop out back, and the bike felt great both going up and down the little rollers. I don't know if quicker is the word to use to describe the handling compared to my Stumpy, but it definitely seemed more responsive. It just went where you pointed it, no hesitation. Felt a bit lighter as well.

Unfortunately, I think I sprained my knee earlier in the week, and tweaked it again there in the parking lot, so I didn't spend as much time as I wanted on the demo loop, as the knee was really hurting. But they also had a large in stock, and I rode that around the parking lot a bit to check fit, and it felt perfect. Pretty much exactly the same as I feel on the Stumpy, sitting in it, not on it, position was almost exactly the same. Even stopped and straddling the bike felt exactly the same as with the Stumpy, everything seemed the same dimension-wise.

So not sure how the extra slack in the newer version will translate into fit; I assume if the seat angle and top tube length stay the same, the slacker head angle will feel like a bit shorter top tube length. And even shorter still if I spring for a 140mm Pike to run on it, and slacken the angles even more, but I think the large size is definitely the way to go, which surprises me a bit. But it just felt so much more comfortable and right. Which shows that it certainly pays to be able to throw a leg over the bike before you buy. Some long term time on it will prove the case, but it definitely seemed like a better bike than my current Stumpy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 5'10 1/2 and ride a large 2011 Rip. I was told by the Niner rep that a medium would be the best fit for me, but I got the large for a screaming deal used. Despite being in between sizes (and Niners running "big) the large feels great to me with a 70mm stem.

I've never ridden a medium and have wondered what I'm missing, if anything.

Carbon & Ti rule
    If you liked the 12 Rip9 you will love the New Version, they are so much better.

I liked the 12 Rip9 as well but the latest Rip9 just eats it at everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JasBluBoi View Post
    I'm 5'10 1/2 and ride a large 2011 Rip. I was told by the Niner rep that a medium would be the best fit for me, .
    Well I'm almost an inch shorter than you, and the large just felt right. But I'm odd to fit, as I have really stubby legs for my height, but a longer torso in comparison. So any bike I buy, I'm more interested in how it fits front to back than I am concerned about size and standover.

Every full suspension rig I've tried, I've felt more comfortable on the large size than the next size down.

If you liked the 12 Rip9 you will love the New Version, they are so much better.
    Which is why I'm holding out for this one, rather than pick up the older frame at a significant discount. Really wish they'd had one of the newer versions in stock.

Dianetics Junior
    5'11" here on a large frame/short stem as well...freakin love it!

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6' & ride a Lge Rip9 with 55mm stem & 780mm bar

mtbr member

5'10" on a new Medium RIP with a 50mm stem and 730mm bar. Love the fit.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Test rode a RIP 9 yesterday...

bought it today.

The dealer had a 1 star build in large (I'm 5'11" fits like a glove) that they wanted to move. They offered me a 2014 RS Revelation (with black stanchions) to get it out the door. I'm absolutely stoked. Bike felt amazing from the first pedal.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Test rode a RIP 9 yesterday...

bought it today.

The dealer had a 1 star build in large (I'm 5'11" fits like a glove) that they wanted to move. They offered me a 2014 RS Revelation (with black stanchions) to get it out the door. I'm absolutely stoked. Bike felt amazing from the first pedal.
    Cool.

Show us some photo's

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When I get it home I will. They're going to switch the fork out in the morning.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    When I get it home I will. They're going to switch the fork out in the morning.
    Set at 140 or 130? I'd really recommend 140.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yes, 140.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Cool.

Show us some photo's
    Not the best shots, but I only had like 45 minutes before dark to jump on a nearby trail. I stuffed that frame bag in there, but it's obviously not a great fit, and nevermind the pedals. I had shimano cleats on my shoes and they were the only ones I had handy.

mtbr member

Dude, congrats! Enjoy it.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

NMBP
    Looks great, I love the Kermit, I mean "Niner" green!

evilbanks
    I rented a 2014 Rip 9 in Moab for two days last weekend. Was great on the downhill but I'd hate be climbing all day on that beast. Was sorta like riding on top of a marshmallow. Ha ha
    twitter.com/evilbanks

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    I rented a 2014 Rip 9 in Moab for two days last weekend. Was great on the downhill but I'd hate be climbing all day on that beast. Was sorta like riding on top of a marshmallow. Ha ha
    Couldn't disagree more! It's no Jet, to be sure, but the RIP pedals just fine for me, even on the open setting. Set it to the climb mode and fuggedaboutit.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Couldn't disagree more! It's no Jet, to be sure, but the RIP pedals just fine for me, even on the open setting. Set it to the climb mode and fuggedaboutit.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    +1 as well. I'd add that I have an Alloy XC 29er as well. My new RIP climbs better due to the added traction. Maybe it gives up a little on fire roads, but on mountain trails, I prefer the FS Rip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    Did you set it up correctly? I think the manufacturer recommends 25% sag, but I have it set at 20%. When switched to pro pedal or medium (IDK WTF Rockshox calls it) it only gives up a little efficiency to my old carbon Stumpy pro w/ brain but switch to open and it descends more like the s-works Enduro I had. I could never get comfortable with the brain. It wasn't really intelligent enough to know when I needed full open or medium or closed, and I hated getting off of my bike to adjust it. That feature definitely took away from the downhill experience for me, which is way more important to me than the climb.

I only have 3 rides in the dirt on the rip, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this bike. But so far I'm really digging it.

I must say, the Revelation fork does make a big difference over the stock Sektor. I think it's a couple pounds lighter as well.

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    I am a larger guy at 6'1" and 220 and this Niner CVA suspension in RIP RDO large
    is the best I have ridden, and i have ridden a bunch.
    Very efficient pedaling and stays up in stroke without over pressure. Excellent traction on climbs, a little wheel hop during braking on fast bumpy downhills. Overall it is my favorite.
    Not so sure about you smaller guys riding a large frame though.
    Dont rule out the medium because when i rode it wasn't too bad.
    RIPs definitely run on bigger size.

only thing else I would be interested in would be a newer DW Link.
    but that ain't happening anytime