mtbr member

Tall RIP 9ers - controls setup?

So i rode an XL air 9 scandium all last year with 120mm stem - 0 deg, 725mm flat bar and 100mm reba.

in dec i found one of the screaming deals on a RIP and built one up. I feel LOTS faster in general, but i am still trying to get a feel for handling.... i still feel more confident on the AIR, but i dont know if that is just b/c its what i am used to or if i need to do some more handling (stem/bar/fork) tinkering....

XL RIP, 6'6", 37" inseam, 220#

100mm stem - 6 deg down, 800mm bars - 140mm travel fox talas 32

any other tall guys on XL RIPs? what are you running? how did you get it dialed in?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bike fit is very much a rider specific thing so take this with a grain of salt, but it sounds to me like maybe you could try a shorter stem. Granted, I'm 3 inches shorter than you are, and I ride a Large not an XL, but my current setup (which I love) is a 60mm stem with 6 deg rise and a 785mm wide 3/4" rise bar. I'll concede that I'm quite a bit shorter than you are but that XL you're on has a long top tube, you've got a long(ish) stem and some very wide bars on there. I think a shorter stem might be worth experimenting with. I've gradually come back from a 100mm stem to 80mm and now to 60mm and for me the 60mm stem (combined with the wide bars), has really dialed the bike in. I've got a friend who is your height and he runs an 80mm stem on his Jet9 RDO which he seems to think is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You might want to post this in the Clyde section too just maybe get responses from bigger guys. But, I am 6'5" and I ride an XL WFO. I weigh quite a bit more than you, but I don't think that is too important for this though. I also don't have quite the inseam that you have. My pant inseam is 32" but my bike inseam is 35". On my WFO I have a 90mm 0 deg stem, 750mm bars and I run a Thomson set back seatpost. When I first got the bike the stem was too low and I had a straight seatpost, which was killing me. But I was able to add spacers under my stem and then I put the setback seatpost on and it's super comfortable for me now.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fatpig View Post
    So i rode an XL air 9 scandium all last year with 120mm stem - 0 deg, 725mm flat bar and 100mm reba.

in dec i found one of the screaming deals on a RIP and built one up. I feel LOTS faster in general, but i am still trying to get a feel for handling.... i still feel more confident on the AIR, but i dont know if that is just b/c its what i am used to or if i need to do some more handling (stem/bar/fork) tinkering....

XL RIP, 6'6", 37" inseam, 220#

100mm stem - 6 deg down, 800mm bars - 140mm travel fox talas 32

any other tall guys on XL RIPs? what are you running? how did you get it dialed in?
    6'4" size XL RIP. 35.5" inseam.

Muddy RIP

Rockin'TheRip9

I use a slammed 120mm Ritchey stem flipped negative (not sure if it's -5 or -6) with the 120mm Fox fork. Bars are not that wide (trimmed down to 650mm) as I don't like anything wider than 660mm for XC riding in the tight, tree-lined Midwest singeltrack.

P1010011