mtbr member

Switching to a 1x9

Well after riding all summer on my Air 9 with a 2x9 setup I've decided to switch to a 1x9 setup.
    I have two rear cassettes one 11-32 and one 11-34 with a 22-34 up front. I just ordered a 32t for up front to start. Still want the ability to spin up a bit. Anyone else running a 1x9 and are there any other combos I should consider. Mainly ride single track with some short steep climbs.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I really like the simplicity of 1x systems. Seems like any time that I've ever dropped a chain (on any bike) is due to the front derailleur.

I run a 1x10 (32x12-36) on my fat bike, and really like it. The 36T comes in handy on really long climbs out here in CO (the Pug gets heavy after a while). My son runs a 1x9 (32x11-34) on his MTB, and it works really well for him. He's 12, and is able to motor up the longer stuff without issue.

I'm toying around with going with an XX1 drivetrain on the Air 9 RDO that I am building up over the winter. I'd like to demo it first, but not sure if that'll be possible. I might just take the plunge!

I guess it comes down to the types of places you anticipate riding. Do you plan to travel to places with bigger climbs? If so, the 11-34 might be your best bet. If you don't foresee a lot of big climbs, go with the smaller cassette...maybe even a 34T up front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I currently ride a Jet9 with 1x10 setup, 32 front with 11-36 cassette. For anywhere in the Midwest I absolutely LOVE it! The only time I might miss a few extra gears would be on paved connector sections, but that's very rare. On singletrack I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I've even had out to the Denver area (front range parks), and with the 34 or 36 rear cog I was able to climb pretty much everything I found. Anything I couldn't climb was more my own lack of legs, lungs, or skill!

mtbr member
    I rode 1X9/10 for three years and I loved the simplicity of the set up.
    Couple things to think about:
    - A chain guide is critical. The MRP 1X works really well (although pretty expensive).
    - You may want to switch to grip shifters. Triggers are great but grip shifters allow you to shift up or down in larger/quicker increments.
    - Stick with 9 speed for 1x setup. My Shimano XT 10 spd (cassette, derailleur, and chain) didn't like crosschaining as much as my older SRAM X9 9 spd. In my experience, 9 speed transmissions run more smoothly.

- Last but not least.... Consider sticking with 2x. I'm happier with a 2x because it works well everywhere.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Well I made the switch. Parts arrived yesterday and installed last night. Went with a 32t Niner ring up front, 11-34 Sram PG-990 in the rear and a MRP 1X chain guide. Install was very simple. Now just need to get out and ride. Also have a Sram 11-32 rear cassette just in case I feel the need to swap. My guess is the 11-34 should be fine but may need to go to a 34t up front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride and race my Jet9 RDO as a 1x10 with the MRP1x up front. I love the simplicity and hate front chainring shifts. I raced last week end and cleared all the climbs and still had gears left at 23mph on a paved section leading back into town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got an aluminum Jet9 with 1x10 setup (11-36 cassette). Raced the entire last season with it and I LOVED it!! As posted above no front der shifting is nice, and with 11-36 rear I rarely felt the need for more gears. Climbing NEVER an issue with a 34 and 36 rear cog, if anything I could maybe have used a gear or two on the high end for paved connector sections ... but again that's rarely an issue. That said, if it was affordable I'd love to try the new 1x11.

azpoolguy,
    Just curious how you're liking the RDO? I'm hoping to upgrade from my aluminum Jet as I would like a bit lighter bike for XC racing. LOVE the Jet for longer endurance races where weight is less of an issue, but thinking a real light hardtail, or at least lighter f/s bike would be nice for shorter xc races ... just not sure I can afford a f/s built to be as light as I would like. If you have any experience on an aluminum Jet, I'd love to hear feedback on your RDO vs aluminum Jet??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    azpoolguy,
    Just curious how you're liking the RDO? I'm hoping to upgrade from my aluminum Jet as I would like a bit lighter bike for XC racing. LOVE the Jet for longer endurance races where weight is less of an issue, but thinking a real light hardtail, or at least lighter f/s bike would be nice for shorter xc races ... just not sure I can afford a f/s built to be as light as I would like. If you have any experience on an aluminum Jet, I'd love to hear feedback on your RDO vs aluminum Jet??
    I raced/rode a 20.5 lb SuperFly SS last year. Now the Jet9 RDO is my only mountain bike. I really like it. It is fast enough to race XC on and has enough travel to make a good trail bike. I fallowed a few carbon hard tails and some Specialized Epics( seams like what most of the cat 1 guys ride) and was able to make time on the downhills and climb with less issues from the AZ chunk.

PM Boomvader if you want to find a comparison between the alloy Jet and the RDO he just made the switch and did the same race I did last weekend.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have got XX1 for my green Jet9 RDO i'm building this weekend & run XX on my Tang Jet9 RDO so will let you know what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    I really like the simplicity of 1x systems. Seems like any time that I've ever dropped a chain (on any bike) is due to the front derailleur.

I run a 1x10 (32x12-36) on my fat bike, and really like it. The 36T comes in handy on really long climbs out here in CO (the Pug gets heavy after a while). My son runs a 1x9 (32x11-34) on his MTB, and it works really well for him. He's 12, and is able to motor up the longer stuff without issue.

I'm toying around with going with an XX1 drivetrain on the Air 9 RDO that I am building up over the winter. I'd like to demo it first, but not sure if that'll be possible. I might just take the plunge!

I guess it comes down to the types of places you anticipate riding. Do you plan to travel to places with bigger climbs? If so, the 11-34 might be your best bet. If you don't foresee a lot of big climbs, go with the smaller cassette...maybe even a 34T up front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    PM Boomvader if you want to find a comparison between the alloy Jet and the RDO he just made the switch and did the same race I did last weekend.
    Couldn't find any mtbr members by the name of "Boomvader"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Couldn't find any mtbr members by the name of "Boomvader"?
    Try boomvader.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I've got an aluminum Jet9 with 1x10 setup (11-36 cassette). Raced the entire last season with it and I LOVED it!! As posted above no front der shifting is nice, and with 11-36 rear I rarely felt the need for more gears. Climbing NEVER an issue with a 34 and 36 rear cog, if anything I could maybe have used a gear or two on the high end for paved connector sections ... but again that's rarely an issue. That said, if it was affordable I'd love to try the new 1x11.

azpoolguy,
    The Jet9 alloy is a nice bike & goes very well in the ruff for a 80mm travel bike.
    I owned a 08 & 10 Jet9 Alloy & that got me hooked on 29er's

The Jet9 RDO is & feels lighter to ride than the Alloy Jet9 & that is nice, However that is a long way from what I really like about the Jet9 RDO.

I had a Jet9 & Rip9 at the same time & always liked the grip that the Rip9 had over the Jet9 when the ground got slippery,

In short the Jet9 RDO takes the best of the Rip9 & Jet9 & puts it together in an even lighter bike.

If you want more info just ask as I have owned most of the FS niners other than the WFO.

The Jet9 carbon would be a good bike for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The Jet9 alloy is a nice bike & goes very well in the ruff for a 80mm travel bike.
    I owned a 08 & 10 Jet9 Alloy & that got me hooked on 29er's

The Jet9 RDO is & feels lighter to ride than the Alloy Jet9 & that is nice, However that is a long way from what I really like about the Jet9 RDO.

I had a Jet9 & Rip9 at the same time & always liked the grip that the Rip9 had over the Jet9 when the ground got slippery,

In short the Jet9 RDO takes the best of the Rip9 & Jet9 & puts it together in an even lighter bike.

If you want more info just ask as I have owned most of the FS niners other than the WFO.

The Jet9 carbon would be a good bike for you.
    muzzanic,
    I appreciate the feedback and I'll be shooting you a pm with a few more questions.

Thanks!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I run a 32, 11-34 on my MCR. Double on a chain-guide. I have an e-13. It was kind of a PITA to find one that would work well with the tight clearance on the MCR.

I love this bike, it's simple and fast. There are only a few hills I really have to grind it out on and one that I can't clear with this gearing, but then again a bunch of folks can't clear this with three rings.

1x also helps me with other types of riding. I ride on the road a ton, and typically at a pretty high cadence, 100 to 105 avg. I am pretty snappy, but time on the 1x gives me power to make wicked quick accelerations when I need to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm currently riding my mid 90s? Giant ATX750 with XT rear derailleur on an 11-28 8 Speed Cassette and the front derailleur adjusted with the stops all the way in, so its locked on the middle gear (32T). Believe it or not....I haven't found a hill I can't get up in the lowest gear now. And I do ride some seriously long steep hills that are significantly littered with loose rocks. It seems to be just the right speed. Some of the very short extremely steep climbs, I feel as though I'd rather have the 11-32...but I think Id have to go 34 then in the front in order to have a high enough gear for flat pavement sections between trails. I love this bike though, and its extremely light for a chromoly frame. I have probably too wide of tires to be super fast, but I find myself on muddy snowmobile trails that skirt the edges of swamps, and I like the higher volume tire and full knobby ALL-Mud rear tire

mtbr member
    Got a chance to get in my 1st ride after making the conversion and all went well (16 miles). Never found the need to spin it all the way up on the trail system I rode yesterday. I will say after riding 10 years with basically the same gear selection I did find myself hunting for the right gear more than expected. But that's just a matter of getting myself trained for the selection of gears available. I was really surprised how well my body has adapted to the gears over the years and the fact I could tell things were different even though on paper the difference was very minimal. Couple other things noted was how nice it was not to hear the chain slap on the front derailleur and the other what to do with my left thumb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Switching to a 1x9-dscn0999-medium-.jpg  

Switching to a 1x9-dscn1000-medium-.jpg