mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Stem Length Question relating to "Wheelie" issues.

I am 5'7" and I bought a Med Jet 9 RDO. I'm glad I went with that size, but I went with a decidedly shorter stem (Thomson 70mm 0˚) to make sure the reach would not be too much for me given I am in between sizes with Niners.

Been riding it about 3 weeks now and I love the bike, but I can make the front end pop up with what seems to me like the slightest provocation. On more than one occasion this blows my uphill effort as I have to focus getting the front wheel back down or it just shifts my weight enough that I blow my spin and have to dismount. I am not a muscly guy and I do inch up in the saddle when climbing to get my weight forward. Still, I feel like I have lean far out over my front end to keep it planted when mashing up hill. Sitting and spinning always feels like the front end could lift with a slight tug. Other issues I am having is I seem to be overturning around tight turns and digging the front wheel in.. The latter might be pilot error and I'll concede that.

I realize the answer here is to try a longer stem and see of that helps. Still, I wanted to ask if what I am experiencing is similar to anyone else's experience and is in fact stem related or if I just suck at riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Stem Length Question relating to "Wheelie" issues.

Maybe borrow a 5 degree stem and run it negative? If I read it right your current stem. Is a zero? Also how much spacer stack do you have, if possible put the stem against the top head set bearing and swap the spacers above it. Anything to get your bars lower.