mtbr member
    May 2012

SRAM XX1 compatibility Niner Air 9 - 36T cog ?

Hi all,

I've been running 34T for a while and feel I need a bigger cog in front, I know that the maximum recommendation is 34T.

Had anyone tried a 36T cog with the Air 9 ? Frame model is 2012.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a 2012 Air9 RDO and 32 is the largest chainring allowed with XX1 cranks ... are you talking about an alloy Air9?

mtbr member
    I know for a fact that Poster kfb66 would love to go to a 34t on his RDO...but the frame just won't take it. 32t is the max. Here is my Air 9 RDO with an XX1 crankset with 32t.

Go to the Niner encyclopedia and search Geometry and Specifications for your frame and it will state the max ring it can take: https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks! I will check it out! Little off-topic, but what function does the spider do for the xx1 crank?

First I thought this was for running bigger cogs than specced.

1×11 Spiders for SRAM XX1, X0, & X9 Cranks « North Shore Billet

Dirty South Underdog
    That spider allows you to convert any SRAM crank with that spider mounting pattern to a 1x11 compatible crank (via chainline and the proper BCD for SRAM's chainring). If you were to move the chainline out for more chainring clearance, then you'd have a poor chainline to the lower gear on your 1x11 setup.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    I'm running the NSB 104bcd spider with the race face wide/narrow 34t on my Air 9 RDO and don't have chain line issues. It looks like I should be able to get a 36t on there too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRC78 View Post
    I'm running the NSB 104bcd spider with the race face wide/narrow 34t on my Air 9 RDO and don't have chain line issues. It looks like I should be able to get a 36t on there too.
    Can you post a picture of your setup and how close the chainring is to the chainstay and maybe how the chainline looks in your low gear? I have an Air 9 RDO as well and mine is set up as a 1x10 but I need a bigger chainring than my 32t.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NSSage View Post
    Can you post a picture of your setup and how close the chainring is to the chainstay and maybe how the chainline looks in your low gear? I have an Air 9 RDO as well and mine is set up as a 1x10 but I need a bigger chainring than my 32t.
    Give me a few days I'm on a trip and will be back at the end of the week, then I'll post a pic. If I recall right the chain ruffly lined up with the 4/5 gears up on the cassette. It was a little outside but I have had no problems shifting and I have a few hundred miles on it now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Give me a few days I'm on a trip and will be back at the end of the week, then I'll post a pic. If I recall right the chain ruffly lined up with the 4/5 gears up on the cassette. It was a little outside but I have had no problems shifting and I have a few hundred miles on it now.
    Ok thank you. Cool I think I will try that setup then!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I like to know to if it possible to place 36 cog on a Niner Air 2012 frame. If so i could go for 1x10 set up. Looking forward to see the 34 cog picture with the NSB 104bcd spider

mtbr member
    Sorry it took so long, been busy this week. here are a few pics. I'm running the race face 34t with a MRP chain guide on sram XO cranks with the NSB 104 spider. The chainring lines up with the 5th gear up on the cassette. I don't have the chain protector on the bottom of the chain stay, It was knocked off when I was running a double up front and I haven't replaced it yet. But without it I have 2-3mm lateral and 4mm clearance tip of tooth straight back. I have an XX rear derailure and dropped my chain on a really rooted downhill. I think if it was a clutch rear D it wouldn't have happened but I opted for the guide just in case. I've thought about running a 36t but there is enough climbing here the 34 seems to cover my needs. The pics are the chain on 5th&6th gear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM XX1 compatibility Niner Air 9 - 36T cog ?-img_1673.jpg  

SRAM XX1 compatibility Niner Air 9 - 36T cog ?-img_1668.jpg  

SRAM XX1 compatibility Niner Air 9 - 36T cog ?-img_1669.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    My wife has a XX1 crank setup on her Air9 RDO, It is set up with a 32 front ring & there is no way it would fit a 36 tooth ring with out moving the crank out of line or doing something with the spider to change chain line.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've seen a few XX1 setups on the RDO at the shop and there is no clearance. I'm not sure if the spider to crankarm splines are the same on the XX1 and XO I haven't looked that close, but if they were it seems like the NSB sits just a little further out. also Wolftooth components has a bigger chainring that supposedly fits on the Air9RDO

Carbon & Ti rule
    I went through it all just to see.

The splines on the X9,X0 & XX1 are all the same, The spacing of the BB30 & the GXP are not the same.

At the moment her bike is set up with Carbon X0 cranks with NSB 1x 11 spider & 32 tooth XX1 chain ring & the Spacing is the same as the 32 tooth Wolf Tooth spider less Ring we have set up on another crank.

Yeah, I've seen a few XX1 setups on the RDO at the shop and there is no clearance. I'm not sure if the spider to crankarm splines are the same on the XX1 and XO I haven't looked that close, but if they were it seems like the NSB sits just a little further out. also Wolftooth components has a bigger chainring that supposedly fits on the Air9RDO

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks for the photos! I am going to try this out this week

mtbr member
    So your running the NSB 76mm BCD spider for the XX1 ring?
    I have the NSB 104BCD spider which is essentially meant for a triple and I'm using the inner position. maybe there is the difference. I might try to throw a 36t on today just to see if it will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I went through it all just to see.

The splines on the X9,X0 & XX1 are all the same, The spacing of the BB30 & the GXP are not the same.

At the moment her bike is set up with Carbon X0 cranks with NSB 1x 11 spider & 32 tooth XX1 chain ring & the Spacing is the same as the 32 tooth Wolf Tooth spider less Ring we have set up on another crank.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes that if right NSB spider & XX1 ring.

I also have a Wolf Tooth 32 tooth spider less Ring , But with the XX1 Rings you can change the outer ring with out taking the cranks off

UOTE=AKRC78;10626644]So your running the NSB 76mm BCD spider for the XX1 ring?
    I have the NSB 104BCD spider which is essentially meant for a triple and I'm using the inner position. maybe there is the difference. I might try to throw a 36t on today just to see if it will fit.[/QUOTE]

Carbon & Ti rule
    How did you go ?

I have the NSB 104BCD spider which is essentially meant for a triple and I'm using the inner position. maybe there is the difference. I might try to throw a 36t on today just to see if it will fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Did you test the 36 setup cog already?