mtbr member
    Nov 2007

SRAM PF30 to English Adaptor

Is anyone using one of these on an RDO (or other)?

I have an RDO on the way and I hope to use my standard 24mm spindle XX cranks. This adaptor seems simple and I could also use my King external BB.

I'm just not that familiar with these new BB "standards" and adaptors. Is the adaptor easy to install? Remove? I know the aluminium BB30 to English adaptor is more or less permanent. I certainly don't want that. Anyone have any experience?

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you dunnot want something permanent and less heavy look at this
    c-bear.com/en/pf30-en/press-fit-30-sram-truvativ-gxp.php

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i have the sram version of the adapter for mine and it is in no way permanent. it just presses in and out. one thing to mention, you have to install the bb in the adapter before putting it into the frame. with the pf30 adapter there is no loctite included or needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FoCo29er View Post
    i have the sram version of the adapter for mine and it is in no way permanent. it just presses in and out. one thing to mention, you have to install the bb in the adapter before putting it into the frame. with the pf30 adapter there is no loctite included or needed.
    Great -- that's what I was hoping to hear. Knock it out with a headset removal tool?

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    Had one in my RDO test mule since spring - works fine. As said before, cups thread in first (adapter has flats for vise or big wrench), then it presses in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have just built an RDO with this adapter but after the first ride the drive side adapted and bearing has partially worked it way out of the frame. Has this happened to any one else and dose the problem continue after re pressing?
    I am using Noir cranks, Sram GXP BB and Niner PF30 to BSA BB adaptor

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The new Air 9's require this, I've found that to get the BB cups in you allmost have to deform the adaptor while in the vice to make sure they are seated all the way, Other than that the recommended removal method is a Park BB86 tool, I used a 3/4 pipe and worked my way around the adaptor to remove it, I long for the days of the simple bb designs... DO NOT USE GREASE on the adaptor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So ends up after finding the adapter instructions, via sram website, there is supposed to be a spring washer, 2.5mm Shim and 0.5mm shim installed on the drive side crank spindle. The shop forgot to mention that to me after they threw the instructions away and said install the cranks as usual.....woops!

Anyway no harm done will get right on it!
    Last edited by Shotguns; 12-27-2011 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotguns View Post
    So ends up after finding the adapter instructions, via sram website, there is supposed to be a spring washer, 2.5mm and 1mm spacers installed on the drive side crank spindle. The shop forgot to mention that to me after they threw the instructions away and said install the cranks as usual.....woops!

Anyway no harm done will get right on it!
    I called SRAM about the need for these washers, No one could explain to me the purpose of them, ANd the funny thing is if your frame has standard bsa thread in bb you dont have to use any of these washers, Must be a SRAM thing I guess......

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If it was a standard BSA it would be the thread holding the BB to the frame but I guess when the adapters are used the only thing stopping it moving is the pressure of the Press Fit. GXP have no lateral loading on the drive side when fitted to a BSA BB (as discussed in other treads there has been issues with dust seal and shim works it way down the crank spindle with nothing to stop it) But with these washers/shim it would put enough lateral pressure to stop the potential movement of the adapter and bottom bracket. I think if I had installed the cranks as per instructions I wouldn't of had any problems.

Thanks for the input kracko

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotguns View Post
    I have just built an RDO with this adapter but after the first ride the drive side adapted and bearing has partially worked it way out of the frame. Has this happened to any one else and dose the problem continue after re pressing?
    I am using Noir cranks, Sram GXP BB and Niner PF30 to BSA BB adaptor
    I don't think it's possible use a GXP BB with PF30 to BSA BB adaptor?

There is nothing in a GXB crankset that keeps the drive side adapter in place. The cranks attach to the NDS bearing only.

It's only possible to use a GXP crankset with an Niner EBB, because the adaptor halves are held together with a bolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes it is with the specific adapter and shim installed correctly. It was incorrect installation not incompatibility that failed for me. I will install correctly and report any problems.

This is the link to installation instructions

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...bb_adapter.pdf

mtbr member
    See here: http://www.ninerbikes.com/downloads/NIN_CYAchart.pdf

NOTE: Niner bikes does not recommend SRAM threaded GXP bottom brackets with the CYA system, they are not compatible. Call Niner Customer Service with any questions related to this recommendation. 1.877.NINERXC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lucky I don't have to worry about the CYA system and just the PF30 BB as required on a Jet 9 RDO. The CYA system is irrelevant to my needs as i believe it is for the A9C and have solved any issues I had!