mtbr member
    Oct 2014

SRAM PF30 BSA Adapter, Carbon & Lube

I am building up a new 2015 Air 9 RDO. The components are Shimano XT. With the frame being PF30, the bike included a PF30 to BSA adapter (plastic). My question is regarding what, if any, lube is recommended be used on the adapter/bb shell interface - plastic/carbon. I'm curious as to Niner's recommendation and/or other people experience, particularly with this material combination. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Niner recommends pressing in dry. Parktool (Calvin) recommends using an adhesive. I personally WOULD NOT use those cheap plastic adaptors, Sram pressfit to BSA adaptors. I have tried several of them. Much better off biting the bullet and buying the Chris King Pressfit bottom bracket and proper adaptors for your particular crank. I pressed mine in dry and Niner recommends, no creaking, no issues, works perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Niner recommends pressing in dry. Parktool (Calvin) recommends using an adhesive. I personally WOULD NOT use those cheap plastic adaptors, Sram pressfit to BSA adaptors. I have tried several of them. Much better off biting the bullet and buying the Chris King Pressfit bottom bracket and proper adaptors for your particular crank. I pressed mine in dry and Niner recommends, no creaking, no issues, works perfectly.

Thanks for the reply, epiphreddy. After messing with the adapter some, it just felt clunky and hacky - which your experience seems to confirm. I'll be going the native PF30 BB route, along with a dry press. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am currently running the Sram PF30 to BSA adapters with shimano XT BB and crank. These are on my Jet9RDO and I pressed them in dry no problems no creaks and cheap option.

If you have the parts already why waste them!