mtbr member
    Aug 2010

SRAM 2x10 for a RIP

I'm in the slow process of building my '10 RIP9, and am considering using SRAM's X9 2x10 group for my drivetrain. Is the higher ratio low gear a detriment to this bike in an all mountain application? I ride mostly along the Colorado Front Range. Does the swingarm clear the front derailleur? Anyone with riding experience on a similar setup?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by memmot
    I'm in the slow process of building my '10 RIP9, and am considering using SRAM's X9 2x10 group for my drivetrain. Is the higher ratio low gear a detriment to this bike in an all mountain application? I ride mostly along the Colorado Front Range. Does the swingarm clear the front derailleur? Anyone with riding experience on a similar setup?
    As long as you use the 11-36 cassette you should be fine,I was thinking the same thing but it does teach you that at times you were spenning to low a gear & making it hard on your self.

With the 26-39 gearing crank the bike wont go down slow enough to loose momentom & thats a good thing.

On my Jet 9 I have a 30/39 crank & the only time it becomes a problem is on very tight single track when you catch someone on a 26er spinning there granny gear & there is nowere to get past.

I was so worried about going 2 x 10 but I love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thnaks for the input. I still want to ride a 29er with 2x10 up a hill before I buy anything. Maybe I can demo a Specialized or Trek/GF 29er sometime soon.

Newt Guy
    Check out Scott's thread (cracksandracks.com). He just built up a new RIP with the 2x10. He loves it.

R.I.P 9 Heaven

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    We have some grades around here that show up as 24 to 28% steepness on my Edge 305. If you're a Clyde, you'd have to be hella strong to pull a 26 up front with a 34 x 11 cassette. There's no way I'll run a Shimano 9 speed 36 x12 LX cassette on my titanium carrier'd Hadley hubs, and you shouldn't run that LX cassette on aluminum bodied carrier hubs either like DT Swiss 240S, Hope or King hubs either, unless you want to buy a new carrier, because you gouged the cr*p out of your original. Clydes will destroy 10 speed chains fast.

mtbr member
    Hope and Chris King both have an option for a steel freehub body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just saw on the SRAM homepage that they are doing a 2x10 Experience tour. Does anyone have dates on when they would be somewhere in the Colorado Front Range, Fort Collins or Boulder in particular?