lamer

Specialized S-works crankset on Jet 9 RDO?

I'm thinking about replacing my Shimano XT crankset with the Specialized S-works MTN crank arms. If I'm reading this all correctly the s-works crank will fit any 73mm BB30 frame, and that should include the Jet 9 RDO. I should be able to pull out my current PF30-to-BSA adapter from the BB, press in a true PF30 BB, and slap on the crank arms, correct? Anyone running s-works crank on their RDO?

I'm thinking of going with the s-works crank arms + Lightning reversible 64/104 spyder + Extralite Octaramp 22/32 chain rings. I could also go for a true double with the Extralite Octaramp Gara 28/42 chain ring, but I have no experience running anything other than a triple, so I'm not sure how it would affect my gear ranges, chainline, etc. Thoughts?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I'm thinking about replacing my Shimano XT crankset with the Specialized S-works MTN crank arms. If I'm reading this all correctly the s-works crank will fit any 73mm BB30 frame, and that should include the Jet 9 RDO. I should be able to pull out my current PF30-to-BSA adapter from the BB, press in a true PF30 BB, and slap on the crank arms, correct? Anyone running s-works crank on their RDO?

I'm thinking of going with the s-works crank arms + Lightning reversible 64/104 spyder + Extralite Octaramp 22/32 chain rings. I could also go for a true double with the Extralite Octaramp Gara 28/42 chain ring, but I have no experience running anything other than a triple, so I'm not sure how it would affect my gear ranges, chainline, etc. Thoughts?
    I think you are correct, that crankset should work with the frame. I run a 2x10 setup on my RDO with a 22/34/bash setup up front. I love the setup, but you do give up some top end speed. I do sometimes find myself spun out in my 34/11 and needing another gear, but its not that often and its usually on a bike path and not a trail. I like the lower gearing, although I think I probably should have gone 24/36 as I don't use my granny as much as I thought I would.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I run an S-works crank on my Air9 RDO and had one on my Air9C last year. They work fine. You could likely just get the specialized triple spider and play wit the spacers to get your desired chainline from the 22/32 setup.

lamer
    Thanks for the confirmation, briscoelab. I think the lightning spyder is a bit lighter than the specialized triple spider, and since I'm splurging on this anyways I want to go as light as possible, within reason.

I'm wondering if it might be better to go with the Extralite Octaramp Gara 28/42 instead of Octaramp 22+32. I have 11-36 out back. I don't really ever use my current little or big rings in my area, but I'm afraid to go 1x10 for that time that I'll really just need that extra gear. For example, I was in the mountains about a month ago and desperately needed my granny a couple of times. I have used the big ring on double-track when I'm in a hurry, although I can't remember if I was actually maxed out with 32 ring and 11t sprocket at that point. My gear calculator says I should be able to do ~20mph in that gear, depending on how fast I'm pedaling. I think I should be able to climb okay with 28t in front and 36t in rear, right? I'm not really a spinner when it comes to climbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Unless you're riding on the road, a 42 is a huge gear for a 29er. I race xc on a 1x10 setup and have never been under geared at a race. I would go no bigger than a 38t outer on a double.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Unless you're riding on the road, a 42 is a huge gear for a 29er. I race xc on a 1x10 setup and have never been under geared at a race. I would go no bigger than a 38t outer on a double.
    What size rings are you running front and rear? Unfortunately, Extralite doesn't make any rings between 32 and 42. Suggestions on lightweight rings besides XX double in a more useful size?

lamer
    I should clarify why I mentioned an XX double. My LBS said they could order (what I assume is) the SRAM XX 26/39 rings + spider for $180. After a quick google search I found that I can get them online for $120 if I want to go that route. They don't sound like they'll be all that light, so that's why I'm looking for alternatives.

I'm using the following post as a reference for most of this info in anyone cares:

S-Works carbon cranks on Mojo SL

mtbr member
    I run an S-works crank on my Air9 RDO and had one on my Air9C last year. They work fine. You could likely just get the specialized triple spider and play wit the spacers to get your desired chainline from the 22/32 setup.
    sorry to hi jack . but will you be kind enough to share some pics of the spacers you used , i installed it last week and got a creaking sound after a few miles, and doesn't seam like it spins that well kind of tight .

lamer
    What spiders are you guys running with these crank arms on your Niner frames? Finally got all the parts to my mechanic (because I can't press out the BSA adapter and press in the PF30 BB myself), and he says that with the Lightning spider set up as double, the granny chain ring bolts are hitting the lip of the Enduro Zero BB I picked up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I use the specialized triple spider. You can adjust the spacers on the crank spindle to get pretty much any chainline you want.

Even with the Lightning spider I bet you can just push it to the drive side a bit with a spacer swap.

lamer
    I use the specialized triple spider. You can adjust the spacers on the crank spindle to get pretty much any chainline you want.

Even with the Lightning spider I bet you can just push it to the drive side a bit with a spacer swap.
    That's what I mentioned to him when he told me, but he seems to think spacers won't get it over far enough. I'm just having him install everything but the small chain ring, and then once I get it back I can look into spacers or flipping the spider over to the triple side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Isn't the triple spider a 5 bolt?
    MCH Co-Captain

lamer
    The Specialized directions don't mention anything at all about additional spacers from what I can tell. I didn't see any that came in the box. What kind of spacers would I use? Just the same ones used with external BBs? Would I put them in inboard or outboard of the bearing covers?

I've attached pics of the crank installed on my bike with only the middle ring and the part diagram from the Specialized manual. On the non-drive side you can see the wavy washer pushing against the bearing cover and bearing seal spacer. Should there even be that much space visible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized S-works crankset on Jet 9 RDO?-img_20120824_161356.jpg  

Specialized S-works crankset on Jet 9 RDO?-img_20120824_161347-crop.jpg  

Specialized S-works crankset on Jet 9 RDO?-cranksdia.jpg  

lamer
    Just a note that I finally flipped my Lighting spider over to the triple side, and the small chainring bolts still hit the frame, so no possibility of a granny gear for me. Looks like I'll be going completely 1x10. Just ordered a MRP 1x chainguide (my chain drops to the inside, literally, at least 5 times per ride.) and I'll have to lose my BBG

Carbon & Ti rule
    Have you thought about putting a XX1 crank set on it ?

Just a note that I finally flipped my Lighting spider over to the triple side, and the small chainring bolts still hit the frame, so no possibility of a granny gear for me. Looks like I'll be going completely 1x10. Just ordered a MRP 1x chainguide (my chain drops to the inside, literally, at least 5 times per ride.) and I'll have to lose my BBG

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Have you thought about putting a XX1 crank set on it ?
    Hm, they seem to be about the same price as the s-works cranks, but they're a bit heavier, 650g w/ BB. My s-works setup is in the ballpark of 520g total with cranks, crank boots, Lightning spider, 32t Extralite chainring, and Enduro BB. The superlight BBG is another 32g, but it's coming off as soon as the chain guide gets here.

I'm also hoping that now that the spider is flipped and the chainring is in the true middle position instead of the high double, it won't be so likely to drop to the inside. I wish I could find a chain keeper for just the inside so I can keep the bashguard, but that doesn't seem to exist for e-type FD mounts.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The XX1 crank will be lighter when you take into account you don't need a chain guide of any kind.

Hm, they seem to be about the same price as the s-works cranks, but they're a bit heavier, 650g w/ BB. My s-works setup is in the ballpark of 520g total with cranks, crank boots, Lightning spider, 32t Extralite chainring, and Enduro BB. The superlight BBG is another 32g, but it's coming off as soon as the chain guide gets here.

I'm also hoping that now that the spider is flipped and the chainring is in the true middle position instead of the high double, it won't be so likely to drop to the inside. I wish I could find a chain keeper for just the inside so I can keep the bashguard, but that doesn't seem to exist for e-type FD mounts.

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The XX1 crank will be lighter when you take into account you don't need a chain guide of any kind.
    The MRP 1x is 55g, so 520g + 55g = 575g, which is still lighter than the XX1 crank arms themselves. Let's assume the XX1 32t ring is as light as the Extralite, 32g, so that's 650g + 32g = 682g for a working XX1 crankset.

If I wanted to try to get away from the chain guide I could probably just go with a lightweight non-ramped 32t chainring and hope that helps. I wonder how much Niner's speedring weighs?

mtbr member
    The MRP 1x is 55g, so 520g + 55g = 575g, which is still lighter than the XX1 crank arms themselves. Let's assume the XX1 32t ring is as light as the Extralite, 32g, so that's 650g + 32g = 682g for a working XX1 crankset.

If I wanted to try to get away from the chain guide I could probably just go with a lightweight non-ramped 32t chainring and hope that helps. I wonder how much Niner's speedring weighs?
    XX1 crankset with 32T chainring is 560-570g, 650 claimed weight is with the BB

mtbr member
    Any updates? were you able to get these cranks to work with 2 rings or do the bolts still rub the BB? Could it be the enduro BB sticks out further than others? I am thinking about using these cranks on a new Jet9 RDO. but want to make sure I can run a 2X on them...

lamer
    Ya, I updated about a week ago, post# 14. The small chainring bolts hits the BB on both the double and triple side of the spider, unfortunately. The BB only sticks out about 2mm or so, but even if it was flush with the frame I believe that the material around the bolt holes of the Extralite 22T ring would definitely hit the frame. I cross-posted about this in Lite but rigid crank recomendations and as you can read there, someone used these cranks and spider with an external BB and the granny gear is actually positioned *over* the BB cup, where the frame actually is on the RDO.

briscoelab said he's using the Specialized spider, which I think is a weird 5-bolt something-BCD double, so if that's what you're looking for it sounds like it would fit. I wanted a light-weight 104/64 BCD triple, but the Lightning spider's just not going to allow me to do that.

As for 1x10, I have the MRP 1x sitting in my living room waiting to be installed. It would already be on there if it weren't for the fact that I have to break the chain to remove the FD.

For anyone that cares, Niner CS says that the weight of the Niner Speedring chainring is about 46g. I hope that's correct, because the only other place I was actually able to finally find listed the weight as 100g.