Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Purveyor of Fine 29erness

Some AIR9 Carbon pics

Just threw this thing together. Have to make some finishing touches before I ride it.

Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1346.jpg
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1347.jpg
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1348.jpg
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1349.jpg
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1345.jpg

Mudder
    did you ever happen to weigh that reba xx fork? and?

Mudder
    and that thing has to be lighter than 21.69 pounds

That's what it weighs, with pedals, and heavy tires. The Reba XX is a hair under 4 lbs. Once I put the rigid fork on it, I'm sure it will shed some pounds, but winter is a long way off...

Mudder
    the reba xx is a bit heavy then eh? I have a fox but I don't know what it exactly weighs. But I like rock shox more than fox so I'll probably get the reba anyway.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    very nice! Is that a medium? I'm anxiously waiting for mine to arrive.

Also... what wheelset are those? And are they set up tubeless?

Mudder
    what's the offset on that fork?

Bicycle rider
    Thanks for the pics but WOW, I am VERY surprised that it weights 21.69 lbs. My geared 3X9 AIR with FOX f29 fork is 22.5 lbs and I don't have many crazy lightweight parts on it. Did you weigh the frame alone before you built it up?
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i 3rd the seems to heavy bit...how much slime did you use in those tires?

Those are industry nine wheels for those who were wondering

I don't consider the weight to be too heavy for what it is. It isn't built up with ridiculously light parts. I am a big kid, and race light stuff and I do not mix.
    The wheels are I9s (enduro front hub, geared rear) with Arch rims, the tires are 700+/-g Geax Saguaros.
    The fork is another 4lbs. I can't do the rigid thing off road, but if I could, the bike would instantly loose 3 lbs.
    The ride though, worth every penny

mtbr member
    Can we get some in depth review on the ride quality compared to the scandium air9? I briefly test rode a carbon air9 and the first thing I notice is how laterally stiff the frame is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hmmm - I didn't think the white one's were shipping. You got lucky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pat_martin
    i 3rd the seems to heavy bit...how much slime did you use in those tires?

Those are industry nine wheels for those who were wondering
    Air 9 Carbon will never be the lightest frame out there, not with the CYA bottom bracket and all those steel inserts for variuos bottom bracket standards.
    Some time in the future, Niner will probably go MCR/SIR or Air9/One9 way, and offer gear only and EBB versions, both of them will be lighter.
    If you looking for lightness instead of versatility, then you should look somewhere else

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice!

Nice setup! Also it's good to see "reality" weight instead of "internet" weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    Can we get some in depth review on the ride quality compared to the scandium air9? I briefly test rode a carbon air9 and the first thing I notice is how laterally stiff the frame is.
    The bike is very stiff, I had a bit of a time adjusting to how stiff it is, and was plowing through some turns at speed. I raced the Darkhorse 40 last weekend, so I got some serious saddle time, and made adjustments to how I rode it.
    The overall ride was quite surprising though. Despite being straight line stiff, it is actually very comfortable to ride in rocky rooty conditions. I didn't feel banged up at all after 40 hard miles (despite my legs). The back end does a good job of soaking up the bumps while keeping the rear wheel in contact with the ground. Having come off a One9, I felt the back end didn't skitter around as much over the trail.

Bicycle rider
    Nice to know. Thanks for the report!
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules
    Air 9 Carbon will never be the lightest frame out there, not with the CYA bottom bracket and all those steel inserts for variuos bottom bracket standards.

Steel inserts?

I think they are aluminum (and not all that heavy).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3¢ every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Steel inserts?

I think they are aluminum (and not all that heavy).
    The Dubious Dick has it right. The inserts are aluminum, not steel, and the dropouts are pressed carbon. overall that frame is beautifully light. I wish I had the money or the sponsorship to get one of those bad boy's.
    Ride & Smile

bike rider
    Did you happen to weigh the frame or fork before you assembled it? Just curious.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

Quote Originally Posted by mattkock
    Did you happen to weigh the frame or fork before you assembled it? Just curious.
    The frame without EBB weighs 3.1. I also weighed my One9 without the EBB, and it was 3.4. Both size large. I didn't weigh the fork.

I also changed a few bits from the original build

Rotor 3D cranks w/ 34t single speed Q-Ring
    Chris King BB
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1379.jpg

and a purple Cane Creek 110 tapered headeset
    Some AIR9 Carbon pics-img_1378.jpg

Final weight is 21.8 with my bottle cages, bell, and Garmin mount (and some dirt)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Some pics for the Tang crowd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some AIR9 Carbon pics-a9carbon_01.jpg  

Some AIR9 Carbon pics-a9carbon_02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey bike29 i've been reading your blog on the ride reports and it seems like the A9C is the real deal. Do you guys have any in stock right now for purchase or are we still waiting on pre-orders to fill?

Quote Originally Posted by dongustav
    hey bike29 i've been reading your blog on the ride reports and it seems like the A9C is the real deal. Do you guys have any in stock right now for purchase or are we still waiting on pre-orders to fill?
    I have one tang medium, and more coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    cool thanks. i'll be looking out for a large vanna white

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

What's the size and weight of your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddy
    Some pics for the Tang crowd
    Nice looking ride! What size is it and what did it weigh in at?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by teamshredd
    Nice looking ride! What size is it and what did it weigh in at?
    Large frame. Actually haven't weighed this version. With same components minus the edge post on a scandium frame it came in at 21.3 lbs. I'm hoping close to 20.5 with the carbon. Probably won't get it on a scale until I get back to Seattle in a few weeks.

It rips though. First ride was up Columbine outside of Leadville. Climbs great, super stable on the descent. Did some single track today; it smooths everything out compared to the scandium version. Very pleased with it

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yo_eddy
    Large frame. Actually haven't weighed this version. With same components minus the edge post on a scandium frame it came in at 21.3 lbs. I'm hoping close to 20.5 with the carbon. Probably won't get it on a scale until I get back to Seattle in a few weeks.

It rips though. First ride was up Columbine outside of Leadville. Climbs great, super stable on the descent. Did some single track today; it smooths everything out compared to the scandium version. Very pleased with it
    I'm looking at a large frame also. Are you riding Leadville this year with it? I rode Leadville the past 2 years with my Jet 9 and was thinking of going with the Air9C for next year for a lighter bike to make the climbing easier. Good luck at Leadille if you're in the line up! I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you and more feedback on the Air9C.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm looking at a large frame also. Are you riding Leadville this year with it? I rode Leadville the past 2 years with my Jet 9 and was thinking of going with the Air9C for next year for a lighter bike to make the climbing easier. Good luck at Leadille if you're in the line up! I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you and more feedback on the Air9C.
    Yep, in town for the race. Just hanging out waiting for the fun to start. Thanks for the good wishes. This bike should rock on the Leadville course. If I can get through the mess on St. Kevins, I should do all right. I'll post something up after the race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Good ride yesterday. Beautiful day for a race. Got my big buckle and a top 100 finish. Very stoked.

Very happy with the Air9C as well. Just about the perfect bike for that course. Climbs really well, motors across the flats, and super stable on the descents. And it seemed to soak up the rough stuff really well. Last year my lower back was pretty sore at the end, this year no issues. I'll be interested to see how it does on a really rough course, but so far I think it is going to be a great endurance racer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Congrats on your finish!

Yo Eddy,

Congrats on your sub 9 and top 100 finish! That's quite an accomplishment. I dream on big buckle some day.

Glad to hear the bike rocked the course. The other ride I'm considering is a Carbon 29 Stumpjumper, but just like 9er so much more. Did you have any problems with the EBB? That's the only thing I'm a little nervous about on the Air9C.

KEvin

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yo Eddy,

Congrats on your sub 9 and top 100 finish! That's quite an accomplishment. I dream on big buckle some day.

Glad to hear the bike rocked the course. The other ride I'm considering is a Carbon 29 Stumpjumper, but just like 9er so much more. Did you have any problems with the EBB? That's the only thing I'm a little nervous about on the Air9C.

KEvin
    No problems with the bottom bracket, but keep in mind I have a grand total of about 14 hours on the bike at this point. Not EBB, but the CYA insert.

I was considering the Stumpjumper as well. At the time it looked like the Air 9 would be available sooner, and i liked the ride of the scandium version so went with the Air9C. It might not have arrived sooner, but it did make the deadline for Leadville. I'm extremely pleased with the bike and how it rides.

30-ton War Machine
    Sooo, if I am reading this correctly the Air9c is stiffer, i.e. more rigid and jarring than the scandium version? I get that it stays in contact with the earth better but, if I hated the ride of the Air9scandium will I hate the carbon as well?
    Isaac

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Want.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    Sooo, if I am reading this correctly the Air9c is stiffer, i.e. more rigid and jarring than the scandium version? I get that it stays in contact with the earth better but, if I hated the ride of the Air9scandium will I hate the carbon as well?
    Isaac
    Everything except the jarring part. I found it soaks up bumps and vibration much better than the scandium version. On longer rides my lower back hurt on the scandium. So far my back feels fine after long rides on the carbon.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Finally my medium white A9C has arrived! This arrived this past Friday at my shop and they sent me this pic. Been away all weekend so I still haven't been able to pick it up...but heading down today.

Will build it up with the matching white tapered carbon fork and then transferring parts over from my Ventana Commandante: I9 singlespeed hubs on Crest rims, R1's, SS modded M960 XTR cranks, Easton EC90 post, etc etc. Build should be done in a few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some AIR9 Carbon pics-a9c-here-.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Tyrone: Waiting on the pictures when you have them, that build sounds perfect for the A9C IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    did you ever happen to weigh that reba xx fork? and?
    Just realized that I could weigh the one I had in the box waiting for a frame.

Tapered, uncut and with pushloc (and the plastic still on the pushloc), no star nut.

1806g
    63.7oz

someone said a tad under 4 lbs and that's spot on.

mtbr member

M Tang 1x10

this was just under 22lbs but will be closer to sub 21 now i've modded a few things... shortening brakelines to length, syntace for bontrage stem, steerer cut to length. only thing left will be to remove the Fr Der and replace with better/lighter solution when becomes available.

echo all the above comments on the ride... cornering is amazing due to stiffness and doesnt seem to beat you up too bad. 1st race wednesday... tons of baby head rocks, will be real test!!!

Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dparry
    this was just under 22lbs but will be closer to sub 21 now i've modded a few things... shortening brakelines to length, syntace for bontrage stem, steerer cut to length. only thing left will be to remove the Fr Der and replace with better/lighter solution when becomes available.

echo all the above comments on the ride... cornering is amazing due to stiffness and doesnt seem to beat you up too bad. 1st race wednesday... tons of baby head rocks, will be real test!!!

Please change that seat. The colour hurts my eyes.

mtbr member
    i will be changing it but there's nought wrong with a bit of retro 'faux' leather!
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Ok here are some pics of my full build finally. As currently built with XTR pedals and a heavy 800 gram Wolverine tire on the front, she is sitting at 18.1 lbs. If I were to splurge for some 4ti Eggwankers (I hate them...so I won't) and put a lighter XC race tire on there such as another Aspen, it would be pretty close to 17. Could take off the bar ends too, but well, this is how like to race and ride.

Rest of build is I9 hub & spokes laces to Crests set up tubeless. R1 brakes. M960 XTR cranks. Homebrew 35T sprocket. Surly 16T cog. EC90 post. Silverado saddle. Salso carbon bar. Ritchey WCS stem. Salsa Pro Moto carbon bars. Cane Creek bar ends.

Oh and I'm running into a small issue with my R1 rear brake set up. There is not enough lateral adjustment in the caliper and with the direct mount, I can't quite get the rotor centered within the caliper. There's a bit of rub that is ticking me off (especially since I race quite a bit...the wheel just doesn't spin 100% free of the brake pads because of this). The brake rotor is rubbing up against the inside brake pad and even with some spacers between the rotor and the hub, I can't the get the rotor in the middle of the caliper. I think it's an issue with the I9 single-speed specific hub maybe? Not sure yet....anyone else have this problem?

On to the pics....this bike just freaking rips. Acclerates like a scalded monkey and climbs like a mountain goat. So smooth in the corners....very carvy. Much better handling than my old Commandante.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride my friend!! good to meet you outside Folsm Bike... we should have got a picture with both the Tang and Vana! Maybe at PCRS on wednesday (although i WONT be riding SS expert plus!!)?

It is simply the based handling bike i've ever ridden.. it just rails and carves through turns!

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dparry
    Sweet ride my friend!! good to meet you outside Folsm Bike... we should have got a picture with both the Tang and Vana! Maybe at PCRS on wednesday (although i WONT be riding SS expert plus!!)?

It is simply the based handling bike i've ever ridden.. it just rails and carves through turns!
    yeah Dave! Good meeting you out there. Funny stuff. Yeah, I'll definitely be at PCRS Wednesday. SS in Expert Plus for me for sure. I will get my butt kicked racing against the Expert Plus geared guys, but I finished first overall in SS Expert for the Spring series, so feel like I need to bump up a class. I'm really curious how your 1x10 situation pans out, as for next Spring, I'll probably roll the same way so I can (try) to keep up with those Exp Plus guys on the flats when they shift down (bastards).

I'll be wearing my Mad Cat team kit and hanging around our pit area before the races if I'm not pre-riding the course. See ya there.

Ron

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Oh and I'm running into a small issue with my R1 rear brake set up. There is not enough lateral adjustment in the caliper and with the direct mount, I can't quite get the rotor centered within the caliper.
    Just picked my frame and fork up at the shop on Saturday and built it Sunday. I can confirm your issue with the R1. My rear brake rubs too. I ordered some Syntace rotor shims and think one will be enough. Once that's corrected and the brake hoses are shortened, my A9C is ready for the mountains. The component list for those interested and a few pics:

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    You people make me sick...

...with jealousy.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    collideous, how tall are you and what's your inseam?

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    collideous, how tall are you and what's your inseam?
    5'9", inseam no idea.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I'm trying to decide between a M and L frane. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, guess I should be going for a L.

mtbr member
    i'm 5'10, 31 inseam and have the M... its perfect. here is niner sizing for A9C... i would say you're right on the cusp and would depend how you like your rides and whats its going to be used for.

M 5'8"-6'/ 1.73-1.83m L 5'11"-6'3"/ 1.8-1.91m

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast