mtbr member

So nobody cares that pricepoint sells niner now?

All models all builds and parts. So much for niner supporting its lbs and dealers. Maybe hes working on his new "27ner" . Oh wiat.... That wheel size is like the suspinsion stem

mtbr member

Niner has been available thru Competitive Cyclist and Jenson for some time now. What's the big deal if they're on PP?

I eat cats
    I haven't bought a Niner yet but the fact that they are sold on there or anywhere else has zero to do with my decision to buy one if I do. Whatever bike feels the best wins my CC swipe!
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    By that same logic, Santa Cruz is the devil too?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    All models all builds and parts. So much for niner supporting its lbs and dealers. Maybe hes working on his new "27ner" . Oh wiat.... That wheel size is like the suspinsion stem
    Is this the best you had to offer ??

Space Ghost
    i am going to chime in on this one. My LBS is a Niner dealer. They have never had a single model in the store. Not one. People will buy a frame here and there sight unseen, but nothing to touch and certainly not demo. I was talking about getting a RIP9 alloy and was told not to buy because they break. I have owned two other Niners (2nd gen RIP and 3" travel Jet) and they were great for what they were designed to do. I ordered a four star build from Comp. Cyclist for $3800 and got $250 credit to use on their site. My LBS didn't even want to try to earn the sale. By the way, they are one of the largest Spec and Giant dealers in the southeast. I know they couldn't have touched the deal I got and I actually do feel a little bad about not buying through them, but not THAT bad. I don't see anything wrong with online purchasing. My shop has told me flat out they make their money on lesser expensive bikes and service. They will be fine. of course carrying some of the bikes they are dealer for might help. They also carry SC, Ellsworth, and Intense, but never have a bike on the floor. All Giant and the big S.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Jenson has em too!

More sources usually mean better price and to me that's a good thing!

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    i am going to chime in on this one. My LBS is a Niner dealer. They have never had a single model in the store. Not one. People will buy a frame here and there sight unseen, but nothing to touch and certainly not demo. I was talking about getting a RIP9 alloy and was told not to buy because they break. I have owned two other Niners (2nd gen RIP and 3" travel Jet) and they were great for what they were designed to do. I ordered a four star build from Comp. Cyclist for $3800 and got $250 credit to use on their site. My LBS didn't even want to try to earn the sale. By the way, they are one of the largest Spec and Giant dealers in the southeast. I know they couldn't have touched the deal I got and I actually do feel a little bad about not buying through them, but not THAT bad. I don't see anything wrong with online purchasing. My shop has told me flat out they make their money on lesser expensive bikes and service. They will be fine. of course carrying some of the bikes they are dealer for might help. They also carry SC, Ellsworth, and Intense, but never have a bike on the floor. All Giant and the big S.
    I guess it just depends on your LBS. The LBS I am doing my build through, whatever it ends up being, is getting me Niner demos no problem. I am also going to demo Ibis and maybe Pivot bikes through them too. Aside from that their pricing is as good or better than what is found online. Guess I am lucky to live near such a store.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    My wife just ordered herself a Jet 9 from PP. It should be here next Tuesday. Great price. Our LBS dealers weren't even in the ballpark and weren't interested in trying. Screw'em. She would not be building a new bike without Price Point offering a great price on the frame.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    They are just trying to sell more bikes. I have a Niner, and I like the bike. But --- Niner bikes are no different than any other bike that is made in China. They use dirt cheap labor to produce the frames, brand them with the "Niner" name, and increase the prices. I'm not complaining - obvious they are building a very nice brand here. But when people act surprised that Niner does something like sell bikes on PP, it makes me chuckle... People act like Niner is "better" than that for some reason..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I do all of my own bike builds and try to spend the least amount of money I can and get the best bike that I can for the money. I don't need a LBS to cost me another $2000 in order to "support" them. F#ck that.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    I do all of my own bike builds and try to spend the least amount of money I can and get the best bike that I can for the money. I don't need a LBS to cost me another $2000 in order to "support" them. F#ck that.

Let's be careful not to trash every LBS with one broad stroke of the keys....

Niner is simply increasing their distribution channels in terms of adding Price Point to their list which adds one more option for direct purchase for we consumers.

My LBS sells Niner, Salsa, Surly, Specialized, Raleigh, Ridley, Foundry, Orbea, etc... . And of course frames and bikes from each and every size and company are not on the showroom floor. I haven't found it a problem to work with them on wants, needs, and pricing.

In terms of the complete build Niner bikes, can you spec them out with similar builds as the complete builds for a full $2K less with new components?

Niner JET 9 Carbon 4-Star X01 Bike 2014
    MSRP: $4,699.98

If I order that bike from my LBS and paid full MSRP, could you really come up with the same build for $2K less?

I usually like to build my own bikes as well so I get the exact components I want, but even after cherry picking those parts and combing through eBay, online stores, used market, etc... to get those parts - my builds always end up costing equal to or often times more than had I just purchased a complete build. However, for the price of admission to do it myself with the exact components I want - I don't mind paying that premium for the fun of tinkering and assembling the parts list.

Regardless, probably another pointless post from me outside of just saying I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the LBS hate wagon. There are some great ones out there that do a lot for the customer and the cycling community. Hopefully you'll find one of those some day. Even then, that doesn't mean you have to always buy from them. There probably is an element between Niner and their dealers that may not inform us of all that there is to know. In fact, as far as we know they (the LBS) may or may not enjoy their working relationship with Niner.

The model has been used by others as you certainly can get a Surly, Salsa, Ibis, Yeti, Intense, Santa Cruz, Banshee, etc... frames online from quite a few sources.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Def. should be ZERO hate towards the LBS. If you want to hate, point towards the bike manufacturers..
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Good job!

Bruce, you are probably right. $2,000 was shot from the hip and is an exaggeration if you were to buy a "complete" bike online versus from the LBS for comparison.

However, when I bought my complete Jet RDO, the 1 star, 2 star, 3 star options were not being offered by Niner (I don't think). If you compared what I paid to full retail then definitely $2K but it would have been time consuming and tedious. Frame (Jet RDO) $1,400 versus $2,800 (I bought a V1 and it has been replaced with a V2 under warranty), fork (Sram XX) $550 versus $750, component group (XX1) $810 Ebay versus $1,400, Light Bicycle rims and I9 hubs $900 versus storebought similar $1,500..$2,000?? Of course the big kickers here are the frame ($1,400 delta), XX1 group ($600 delta), wheels ($1,000 delta estimated)

Not to mention last year my LBS was selling demonstrators with XT components, aluminum cockpit, BlackFlag rims/XT hubs, and a lower level RockShox Reba fork for $5,200 (including 8% tax). Don't know if any sold or not, I never saw any on the trail. A few friends purchased (online) complete bikes with full XO, full Carbon RDO cockpit (stem Al), Stans Arch EX wheels, Fox Talas fork for $4,300 shipped.

I have about $4,700 in my setup and a similar comparison (in my case) probably would be $2,000 or more. I would say mine is comparable to the 5 Star XX1 for $6,800 but my wheels are much better. But in general, now that complete builds are available...apples to apples, no, a LBS would not be that much more.
    Something else (for me at least), I don't like to haggle with bikeshops and ask them can you match this, that, etc. I like finding the best price and having it delivered to my door, tax free, free shipping and 2% points back on my credit card.

And the LBS does play a great role for those that need them or don't have the time to put into working on and building their own bikes. So there is no doubt the LBS has its place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Last edited by Longlivelonghairs; 12-22-2013 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Last edited by Longlivelonghairs; 12-22-2013 at 11:29 PM.

mtbr member
    My LBS is currently offering all their in-stock Niners at 40% off--they had what looked like an AIR9 carbon for something like $1600 complete. So there are some decent deals locally as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Longlivelonghairs View Post
    If you were a LBS and Niner dealer, would you invest your money on their product and stock it, just to be undermined by them at the end of year with them allowing online stores to liquidate frame for about wholesale price? They should give there dealers the opportunity *with blowout deals who have been trying to sale Niner product all year*.
    I agree with you completely and wonder sometimes if the online blowout deals are being sold for less than what the LBS dealers buy them for.

mtbr member
    AIR9 Carbon complete for $1600? huh? Boy, I wish I lived closed to your LBS!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Niner offered my shop a screaming deal on older stock. They do anytime they need to blow stuff out. I'm guessing that most shops are like mine and turn it down. So if we turn it down then there is little room to complain when someone does buy it and blow it out, online or in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member

Speaking of, $800 for an old alu JET9 right now. Thinking about building the wife a quality rig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I guess I have to sell my beloved Jet9 RDO now because Niner isn't "core" any more.

Niner is in business to sell bikes period. It is a business. I try to deal with my local shop as much as possible. But I get a good enough deal to compare to online prices. For my friends that don't get discounts I try to encourage them to by local but the mail order prices are just to hard to beat. They still end up with a great riding experience from a great bike.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Bruce, you are probably right. $2,000 was shot from the hip and is an exaggeration if you were to buy a "complete" bike online versus from the LBS for comparison.

However, when I bought my complete Jet RDO, the 1 star, 2 star, 3 star options were not being offered by Niner (I don't think). If you compared what I paid to full retail then definitely $2K but it would have been time consuming and tedious. Frame (Jet RDO) $1,400 versus $2,800 (I bought a V1 and it has been replaced with a V2 under warranty), fork (Sram XX) $550 versus $750, component group (XX1) $810 Ebay versus $1,400, Light Bicycle rims and I9 hubs $900 versus storebought similar $1,500..$2,000?? Of course the big kickers here are the frame ($1,400 delta), XX1 group ($600 delta), wheels ($1,000 delta estimated)

I have about $4,700 in my setup and a similar comparison (in my case) probably would be $2,000 or more. I would say mine is comparable to the 5 Star XX1 for $6,800 but my wheels are much better. But in general, now that complete builds are available...apples to apples, no, a LBS would not be that much more.
    Something else (for me at least), I don't like to haggle with bikeshops and ask them can you match this, that, etc. I like finding the best price and having it delivered to my door, tax free, free shipping and 2% points back on my credit card.

And the LBS does play a great role for those that need them or don't have the time to put into working on and building their own bikes. So there is no doubt the LBS has its place.
    I, too, really like the carbon rims on both my JET 9 and RIP 9. Of course, we're not going to find a OEM build with the less expensive Light-Bicycle carbon rims for the obvious reasons (at least I haven't seen one yet), but imagine what a build kit from the Niner website or dealer would cost if it had a set of Enve carbon wheels on it? Ouch!!!

I guess we differ a bit on the customer/business relationship on price negotiation. Too many Americans are afraid to discuss money and or to try to ask for a favor. Living in Europe cured me quickly as you negotiate for just about everything - even produce at the open air market. It's just a way of life that is normal for most of the world, yet seems mired in mystery here in the US. Bike shops are not off limits if you are well informed, speak to the right person, and remain reasonable.

Some bike shops have gone to a business model that their loyal customers/high volume customers pretty much get a discount on their purchases that is equivalent to what you would find out there in the "can you match the price I found on the internet" question. I do like that model and it removes the element of engaging in negotiation. And it brings me back for purchases time and time again.

That's OT, but thanks for clarifying what you meant in your earlier post. The good news is that we are riding some pretty fine bikes and should have nothing but a smile on our face. It's too cold here to smile at the moment as my lips would freeze to my teeth (-4), but I did enjoy taking the dogs on a walk this morning as I plowed through snow on my RIP 9.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I almost feel it was a decision from pp to go after niner they have been bringing in some more boutique brands of late and getting rid of there junk. The prices on mail order are not much different than a couple of the local shops and I get a lot of my stuff locally. That being said if you want something other than the big manufactures good luck also no one stocks any decent items and if they do they charge over list Continental tires go for $65 to $105 per tire. If I go to one of the local shops that has reasonable prices they do not have it in stock and take a week plus to get it and half the time it is not exactly right example ordered a chris king headset from one bike shop ordered bold and came in non bold ordered another from a different shop ordered blue it came in silver. I tried to order a SC frame locally but no one can get them because bike shops around here become dealers to never carry a single product but to just keep other shops from carrying them I had to drive 90 miles to buy my Niner frame because the local Niner dealer won't sell Niner they only became a dealer to sell more trek and cannondale bikes since no one else can sell Niner around here. So yes I do support price point selling Niner