mtbr member

So, how much Oatey's for the EBB/EBB II?

I recently got the EBB II and I have used teflon tape, not the Oatey's pipe joint compound. Could someone give me a tutorial on how much and where to put it? I assume getting it on the lips of the EBB would be bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailof View Post
    I recently got the EBB II and I have used teflon tape, not the Oatey's pipe joint compound. Could someone give me a tutorial on how much and where to put it? I assume getting it on the lips of the EBB would be bad.
    Not sure this is the "right" answer, but I squirt one steady line all the way around each side of the EBB and then rub it in with my finger. THere's always a little excess around the edges when I tighten everything up. I just wipe that off with a paper towel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i put a thin layer on the inside of the BB shell on the frame, where the EBB contacts the inside of the shell, it is important to put it on the shell and not the EBB so when you press the ebb in the shell it doesn't squish out and get on the lip contact point.

mtbr member
    msugma - squirt a steady line? I only have a small bottle with a brush handle. I didn't know it came in a squeeze tube?

trerev97 - That is what I was wondering. I would assume that the outer lip of the EBB does not want pipe joint compound on it because it needs to interface directly with the bottom bracket shell.

Anyone else have any input into this?

Edit: trevrev97, your URL link in your signature isn't working.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailof View Post
    msugma - squirt a steady line? I only have a small bottle with a brush handle. I didn't know it came in a squeeze tube?

trerev97 - That is what I was wondering. I would assume that the outer lip of the EBB does not want pipe joint compound on it because it needs to interface directly with the bottom bracket shell.

Anyone else have any input into this?

Edit: trevrev97, your URL link in your signature isn't working.
    haha thanks fixed!

kgraham11
    I followed Niner's instructions with Oatey's and had no issues:

2. PREPARE BIOCENTRIC - Apply a thin layer of Carbo Grip or Pipe Joint
    Compound to the shoulders of the BioCentric and inside the bottom
    bracket shell. Allow Carbo Grip to dry for a few minutes, it should be tacky
    but not wet.

A little did squeeze out but I just took a rag and wiped it off. No creaks, no slips so far.

mtbr member
    So I finally got around to doing this over the weekend. Followed the instructions in the Niner Encyclopedia with the suggestions here. Haven't tested yet besides a quick driveway test but I will report back soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I didn't have any success with the Oatey's pipe compound (continued to slip). Did the Carbogrip 5 months ago and it has been perfect! Zero slippage and no creaking. I have the version 1 of the biocentric. Good luck

mtbr member
    I never had problems with version one with tape so I hope I don't have an issue with version 2 with the suggested process!

mtbr member
    Do you have to re-apply the Oatley and remove the BB when changing cogs?