Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So finally

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

So finally

My RIP 9 frame arrives at the bike shop. Got the next two days off to spend building it up and testing it out. large frame weighed in at a hair under 7.1 pounds, complete build according to my spreadsheet calculations should be right about 31 pounds. Hopefully it'll be a bit lighter in real life.

The build:

Licorice RIP 9 frame, large
    Rockshox Pike fork, 140mm
    SRAM X9 10 speed shifters, Type 2 rear derailleur, 11-36cassette, X7 front derailleur
    SRAM s-1250 crankset off my Stumpjumper, 22/33
    Hope Tech X2 Special Edition brakes, 183mm
    Hope Pro II hubs/Stan's Arch rims
    King headset
    Hope 90mm stem
    Niner alloy flatbar, 710mm
    Thomson dropper post
    Ergon GP3 grips
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 rear, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 front
    Specialized Henge seat

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice. How long did it take to get the fork? I am waiting on a pike right now.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ordered it from Merlin probably a couple months ago now, when they had it for a great price, plus 10% off. Got it four days later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hope mine is not back ordered
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Seatpost is certainly a snug fit, but shouldn't have any issues with setting proper seat height, as the large frame will accommodate the full 400mm length of my Thomson, if need be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So here she is, all built up. Still got a few things I have to do, such as trim the zip ties and some cables, some derailleur and probably brake adjustments, bar height, then work out air pressures and rebound and such. Seat needs to move back a bit as well.

One thing I did discover is I'm gonna need a new dropper post. The Thomson is just too long to allow me to get my correct seat height. Even all the way in, I'm still .5-1cm high. Good thing I kept the old Stumpy post. Yeah, I know, maybe I should have got a medium frame, but I'm longer proportionally in the torso compared to inseam, and the longer toptube just feels better for me. Even the guy at the shop when I demoed one of the older RIPs last fall said I looked better on the larger frame. So far just tooling around the street, feels a lot like my old Stumpy fitwise.

So looking at maybe getting a KS Lev, or a Reverb. They're 1.5-2cm shorter than the Thomson. I like the Lev for the fact that the cable doesn't move.

Also, and you maybe can't pick them out from this picture, but I've got white derailleur housing on it. I'm not too keen on the look, but they're the Gore cables from the Stumpy, and since they aren't making them anymore........... Figure one day i'll pick up some Jagwire braided lines to match the Hope braided brake lines, either the silver or titanium, whichever's closer.

mtbr member
    I would saw 2 inches off that post and go tear up that puppy....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Can't saw off a dropper post, and the rigid post I'm using as a temporary fill-in has me at the right height.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'd be trying a 50mm stem on it before you do to much more.

Looking forward to your ride report.

mtbr member
    lol...I missed that it was a dropper...sorry...
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Can't saw off a dropper post, and the rigid post I'm using as a temporary fill-in has me at the right height.

mtbr member
    Nice, but I would change the grips. It makes me cringe to see those. A 70 or 50mm stem is also much better on that bike.

And go with a reverb.

bike rider
    You can still get Gore cables. SRAM now licenses them. They only sell blue, red and white though at Bti.
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Got some titanium Jagwires on the way, figure I'll run the Gore cables in the Jagwire housing. Hopefully the titanium color makes a decent match.

Also, had to go for a 100mm dropper post, and going with the KS Lev. I like the fact that the cable won't move, and really don't want to have top mess with bleeding it. And I love those grips, since I suffer from finger numbness, I like the extra available hand positions.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Got some titanium Jagwires on the way, figure I'll run the Gore cables in the Jagwire housing. Hopefully the titanium color makes a decent match.

Also, had to go for a 100mm dropper post, and going with the KS Lev. I like the fact that the cable won't move, and really don't want to have top mess with bleeding it. And I love those grips, since I suffer from finger numbness, I like the extra available hand positions.
    I run the Ergon's on most my bikes & really like them, I also have the ones with bar ends on 1 bike & don't seem to catch them on anything, However mine look shorter & curve in quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
    Nice, but I would change the grips. It makes me cringe to see those. A 70 or 50mm stem is also much better on that bike.

And go with a reverb.

Uh oh, nailed by the fashion police!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I run the Ergon's on most my bikes & really like them, I also have the ones with bar ends on 1 bike & don't seem to catch them on anything, However mine look shorter & curve in quite a bit.
    Might be just the angle of the photo, cause I've seen some of your videos, and they look to be the same ones. Yours have the little rubbery stuff along the tops and side?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Uh oh, nailed by the fashion police!
    I just think 1990s mountain bike when I see bar ends. Seem like a disaster on wide bars, but to each his own. Not for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
    I just think 1990s mountain bike when I see bar ends. Seem like a disaster on wide bars, but to each his own. Not for me.
    You are not alone.
    I think bar ends are useful, and I think more people would use them if it weren't for how they look.
    Up until recently I used bar ends on riser bars on a FS 29er. I wish I could say that I only care about function, not looks, but since I got my new bike, I haven't put bar ends on because I think its just too pretty the way it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So i got out for my first real ride on it yesterday, and it pretty much confirmed everything I felt during the couple of test rides I took on one. Nothing really technical just some wide singletrack and fire road stuff, as even the fire roads deeper into the woods were a bit mushy. The Stumpjumper I had before had a tendency for the front wheel to wander side to side, especially when climbing, but also somewhat when pedalling on the flats.

The Rip had none of this. The Stumpy also tended to understeer, and feel a little slow when turning. I solved this a bit by lowering the bars some, and probably a lot of that was getting used to the slacker angles. The Rip just goes where you point it, not twitchy at all, just responsive. It's also probably a little heavier than the Stumpy, or will be when I get the dropper post on it,. but it felt and pedalled lighter. Overall fit felt pretty much the same between the two.

The Rip is also cushier, but it bobs less. Rode with both fork and shock wide open and never felt like I needed any platform, even on the road to and from the trails. And the Pike is amazing. All I had was some small root and rock chatter to go over, but the Pike just soaked that all up without fuss. You couldn't even see it working, but everything was just smooth. And it's not even broken in yet, cause when I push on it inside the house, it's a bit sticky before it breaks loose.

All in all, just a way better bike than the Stumpjumper ws, and everything I pretty much expected it to be. Loving this bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just got done putting the titanium Jagwire cables on, and while they're not a perfect match to the Hope brake lines, they're almost a perfect match for the silver on the black RIP 9 frame. Shortened them up a bit from the previous set so they run a bit cleaner, and just look so sweet on the bike. Need to shorten the brake lines a bit also, but that can wait for a while.

Now just waiting for the new KS Lev to arrive. Should be here Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nice build. How did you set up the pike and rear shock? Your weight?
    Taking my maiden voyage tomorrow. Can't wait! My pike was back ordered so there was a delay at the lbs. from my initial parking lot ride it seems like I can get by without using the platform. Tomorrow's ride will be a simple Xc ride, probably about 20 miles
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm heavy, about 227 now down from 240. The Pike I've got set at whatever the max was recommended on the fork leg, 105, maybe a bit higher. The rear shock is at 205 I think, which I think has me right at 25% sag, maybe it's just a hair short, so I may need to add 5 pounds or so more. Rebound for the shock is dead in the middle for now, but the fork, I don't know, as I can't seem to get a good enough grip on the red barrel thing to turn it. I may take it off and see if I can turn the thing underneath it, seems really tight right now.

Yeah, I rode with both fork and shock fully open, and had no complaints. There was a little bob, but it didn't bother me at all, far less than my old Stumpjumper did. Felt kinda nice and cushy, and once I get air pressures sorted out, it might even disappear entirely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    So the KS Lev came today, and I got it installed on the bike, and it works fine. I'd hoped to have it on the bike and out for a ride by 3, but as is usual in these things, ran into some snags along the way, and it took a bit longer. So gonna wuss on a ride today, but will take it out tomorrow for its break in ride.

Had to go with the 100mm travel post to get it down low enough to get my seat height right. And I had to use some extra white housing I had around, because the stuff they included was really cheap and stiff, it kept the kinks in it from where it was folded up in the package. So another order to Jagwire for some more Titanium colored housing, as that matches the silver/gray colors in the Niner frame almost perfectly. The neat little thing is they included an L-shaped metal noodle to help direct the cable coming out of the remote lever, and also included a barrel adjuster on it to help get the cable tension right. Made cable routing and adjustment much easier and neater looking. The noodle is a new additions to their package, as they never used to come with this. Also, the neat thing about the KS Lev is that the cable stays in place, it attaches at the base of the seatpost rather than the top, so when the seat drops, you don't get this loop of extra cable looking for someplace to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got my pike set up. I actually went to the trek suspension calculator and used a 2014 slash 7 as it has the pike fork and put In my weight. It gives you the recommended psi, rebound, and LSC settings according to your weight. It seems to be working fine so far. I may go one less click slower on rebound. Also keep in mind the slash is a 160mm fork.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I found my rip to be a fast bike compared to my fuel 29. I can't imagine how fast it would feel with the tire you got VS my nobby nics
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast