Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So finally

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, after reading for the last few months about the tires that everyone else is using on their RIPs, I'm thinking I may be a bit under-treaded. I'm thinking that one day I should replace the front with a Nobby Nic, but I've got two more Ralphs to wear out. But the Ralph rear/Nic front combo seems like it might work well.

My reasoning for the lighter tires was this: All I read about 29ers was you didn't need as aggressive a tire on them because you had an increased amount of contact patch to compensate. Plus, in doing so, the lighter tire helps to offset the extra weight of the 29er wheels. Also, in my case, I'm not riding any where near as technical stuff as probably the rest of you do, and so far, these tires seem to work fairly well for where I do ride. Maybe as the RIP makes me a better rider, I'll need to rethink that, but for now..........

Lastly, as fat and out of shape as I am currently, I don't think you'd have any problems leaving me behind, no matter what tires you'd be using.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I got my pike set up. I actually went to the trek suspension calculator and used a 2014 slash 7 as it has the pike fork and put In my weight. It gives you the recommended psi, rebound, and LSC settings according to your weight. It seems to be working fine so far. I may go one less click slower on rebound. Also keep in mind the slash is a 160mm fork.
    Funny, I just went there and plugged in my numbers, and used the Fuel EX6 for the Monarch rear shock. My rebound settings may need some adjusting, but their numbers for fork and shock pressure were exactly what I'm running mine at right now.

Carbon & Ti rule
    1 of my sets of wheels have RR 2.4 on them & they work quite well if it's not to wet.

Best thing to do IMO is buy another front wheel ( I just brought another Flow EX with Hope Pro 2 hub ) ( Hope Hoops from CRC for less than $200 shipped ) to fit a Minion DHF tire on it for Dh runs & only use it for that & then run the RR for hard pack.

The thing is with the Rip9 a wheel & tire swap can make it a very different bike.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, after reading for the last few months about the tires that everyone else is using on their RIPs, I'm thinking I may be a bit under-treaded. I'm thinking that one day I should replace the front with a Nobby Nic, but I've got two more Ralphs to wear out. But the Ralph rear/Nic front combo seems like it might work well.

My reasoning for the lighter tires was this: All I read about 29ers was you didn't need as aggressive a tire on them because you had an increased amount of contact patch to compensate. Plus, in doing so, the lighter tire helps to offset the extra weight of the 29er wheels. Also, in my case, I'm not riding any where near as technical stuff as probably the rest of you do, and so far, these tires seem to work fairly well for where I do ride. Maybe as the RIP makes me a better rider, I'll need to rethink that, but for now..........

Lastly, as fat and out of shape as I am currently, I don't think you'd have any problems leaving me behind, no matter what tires you'd be using.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Even $200 right now is gonna be a bit much for me. I just took a new job with a pretty substantial cut in pay simply because my old job I was working too many long hours, traveling too many miles each day, and no longer had time to ride much at all. The new job should at least allow me to get in a short ride every day, once I get back into some semblance of fitness so I am physically capable of riding every day.

So instead of socking my extra cash away, I used it to buy the new RIP 9, so will have to pinch pennies pretty severely for the next year or so. But at least I'll be riding. The Ikon in back has really surprised me, it does really well for a tire with such a minimalist tread.

Still, that is a killer deal for a new Hope wheelset. Was looking at those yesterday after you mentioned something in another thread.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Best thing to do IMO is buy another front wheel...

The thing is with the Rip9 a wheel & tire swap can make it a very different bike.
    WTF is wrong with doing it the normal and correct way by simply changing the tire itself?

I could provide you a video or two on how to simply, quickly, and easily change a tire....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nothing, other than it takes more time, and is inconvenient if you're one of those that swaps tires frequently depending on where you're gonna be riding, and the conditions. Not to mention if you're running tubeless, it takes even more time and hassle to swap over, then just to swap back.

mtbr member
    If I had a spare tire I would never change it. If I had a spare wheel I would often change it.

mtbr member
    Sure, changing a tire is pretty easy, but it is a royal PITA to do each time you ride. Especially when dealing with sealant...

Funny thing is I have always had a spare wheel, but never a spare rotor. So, I'm always too lazy to swap the rotor and just stick with one tire for all conditions.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Nothing, other than it takes more time, and is inconvenient if you're one of those that swaps tires frequently depending on where you're gonna be riding, and the conditions. Not to mention if you're running tubeless, it takes even more time and hassle to swap over, then just to swap back.
    Well, the OP mentioned his budget doesn't allow for having another wheel/wheelset.

We're talking about an easy 5 - 10 minute job, and a little elbow grease as a solution. I doubt that we're talking about changing the tire on every single day or ride that one goes on. Maybe a few times throughout the season.

I quickly change my tires at the race site next to my car if conditions warrant it suddenly. Tubeless, with a floor pump and a jug of juice. Takes just a few minutes for each tire to change.

Anyway, for those not rolling in the dough and having spare wheelsets with different tires on them - a quick tire change, no matter how inconvenient a few minutes of one's time is, remains a very simple and low cost solution that has served millions for many, many years. I can do it faster than I can make a pot of coffee.

Rant over...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2