mtbr member

Sizing and purchasing used bike

And we are off and running. I struck gold and found a very lightly used RIP 9 in Kermit (the color I wanted), but it's a L and I think I am a "Medium." I am OK, on the "stand over height" but an 1' short on the "height recommendation."

I have two thoughts and a question

1) The bike owner is in a unique situation and it will go for a song, a low and cheap SONG!

2) I am wondering whether seat and stem can be adjusted by professionals for a "good fit?"

3) Is it wrong for me to assume, given my size that the larger will be stronger than the medium or are these issues unrelated?

Unfortunately, there are no dealers near me and aside from a fellow MTBR person offering me to test ride his bike, 3 hours away, I'm stuck.

There is a demo in early august in Michigan, but that is 5.5 hours away.

I am torn. This may be my opportunity in at a decent price at the right time, but I am told that "fit is everything."

........unscramble my brain, I'm begging you, PLEASE!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If it's really for a song, you should be able to move it at no loss in the event it doesn't work out for you. And if it does, jackpot! I say go for it.

beater
    Fit is absolutely everything. Don't compromise on it. That said, the height recommendation is just that. Some people prefer larger frames, some prefer smaller. It comes down to the way you want the frame to feel relative to you. You probably don't know that yet, so going with the recommendation is probably a good starting point.

Are you sure it's a RIP9? I don't remember them in Kermit. JET9s, yes, but unless I'm mistaken, I didn't think that was a RIP9 color. Atomic Blue and Silver, and then Raw, brown ano, black ano, and Tang is what I remember.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

Oiy!

Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    Are you sure it's a RIP9? I don't remember them in Kermit. JET9s, yes, but unless I'm mistaken, I didn't think that was a RIP9 color. Atomic Blue and Silver, and then Raw, brown ano, black ano, and Tang is what I remember.

*heavy sigh* Newbie mistake amplified by price. It's a Jet 9.

Now that I don't have to HIDE IT! If you are looking for a Large Jet 9 Kermit, here it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1547wt_1139

PSYCHOLUST
    Evasive hit the nail on the head ( is that ironic?) FIT can make a great bike a shitty ride.
    You are better off spending more money on a bike that will feel great, ride great and let you ride to your full potential... we'll all spend a ZILLION dollars on bikes in the long run, don't sjort change yourself