Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Show your SIR 9's!

296K views 570 replies 211 participants last post by  offrhodes42 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a few SIR 9's separately around the forum, but I seek a big heap of photos and spec talk around this most desirable piece of metal. Hope I get some company.

I'll start off with my own: a 2008 SIR 9 , large, color tang. Wheels are Chris King hubs built with Mavic TN719 and some Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2,25", the rest is stuff like XTR pedals on Middleburn cranks, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Thomson/ RaceFace controls on King headset, WTB saddle on Thomson post. Oh, and sorry about the duct tape on the seatpost to all you eagle-eyed connoiseurs. It's handy, if not beautiful.

Weight is somewhere around 10,2 kg (22,5lbs).

Attachments

See less See more
#216 ·
It's OK to be drooling at someone elses' bike but I'm drooling at all the photos that have been posted in this thread even though I own one myself.... I must be abnormal. Thought I'd share a photo of mine too (This one is not too clear but if there is demand, I'll take closeup pictures and post when I have the time)

Current weight is 8.376 kgs (My current setup has 2 things that are different from the pic. I have CX tires & the new Niner seat clamp installed now.)

Attachments

#240 ·
As promised.

Mine. (In summer SS mode).
Medium Kermit SIR9.
Niner Steel Fork.
TN719's on surly Singlespeed Hubs.
White Industries Trials Freewheel.
XT Cranks.
Goldtech Wobble Ring.
Easton Monkey Bars & Thomson Stem.
Thomson post & Charge Ti Spoon.
Avid Elixir CR's.
SmallBlock8's.

Winter sees it wearing 2.4 Racing Ralph EVO's.

Have some F29 RL's also, for bouncy days.

IMAG0420 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0334 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr

An old pic...

IMAG0326 by pten2106, on Flickr

#313 ·
Sir 9 Transformed

Hello Sir's. Here is my revision of my sir 9. Started off with a godzilla green fork and white wheels back in the day and slowly transformed to this brown and black beauty, now I can rest easy not worrying about getting it where I new it could be.

Matching rootbeer frame and fork
niner alu bars
thomson post and stem
ztr race gold
ignitor fr crossmark rr but on order ignitor rr ardent 2.4 front
stylo oct with carbon bash
gobi xm saddle
elixer cr
esi chunky

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

#314 ·
Hello Sir's. Here is my revision of my sir 9. Started off with a godzilla green fork and white wheels back in the day and slowly transformed to this brown and black beauty, now I can rest easy not worrying about getting it where I new it could be.

Matching rootbeer frame and fork
niner alu bars
thomson post and stem
ztr race gold
ignitor fr crossmark rr but on order ignitor rr ardent 2.4 front
stylo oct with carbon bash
gobi xm saddle
elixer cr
esi chunky
That is a beautiful bike Sir! I may be biased (as a Rootbeer SIR9 owner - see pic). What amazes me is the Rootbeer Niner fork - I have always looked out for one of those, but never seen one before today. Did you have this painted yourself?

Attachments

#339 ·
Niner + Knard = NiKnard

My latest build:

A Knard up front, a Vee Rubber Mission 2.4 on the rear, both on Velocity 35mm rims. I had test ridden a Krampus a few weeks back, and liked it quite a bit. I decided to see what I could do with my current ride before stepping up to the full 29+ platform. Unfortunately, no chance to ride it yet, as our trails are soaked.

I could almost fit the Knard in the rear as well. Details here.

#340 ·
Glad you posted this. I have been thinking fatbike, but honestly would rarely 'need' what it offers. So, now I am thinking Krampus. I also have a couple rigid Niners (Sir9 w/2.35 Nobby Nics and a One9 with a RaRa's 2.4 and 2.25).
I like what the big tires offer, especially on a rigid SS so this just might be the ticket.

My latest build:

A Knard up front, a Vee Rubber Mission 2.4 on the rear, both on Velocity 35mm rims. I had test ridden a Krampus a few weeks back, and liked it quite a bit. I decided to see what I could do with my current ride before stepping up to the full 29+ platform. Unfortunately, no chance to ride it yet, as our trails are soaked.

I could almost fit the Knard in the rear as well. Details here.

#566 ·
When was the SIR last updated? Thinking about going with the latest gen model & wanted to know what year it started. Is there anything to know about the PF bottom bracket? How is durability of it?
[/QUOTE]

The current model was updated in 2017. I switched to this version in July after cracking a 2013 SIR.

No issues so far with the Biocentric PF 30, easy to install and stays put. You're limited to cranksets with a 24mm diameter spindle (Hollowtech, GXP, etc...) due to the bearings in the Biocentric, though you could get another EBB that fits the PF30 shell and allows a 30mm spindle:

My only complaint is that there's limited tire clearance with 29" wheels. I haven't had issues using a 2.35 Ikon on an i29, but it's awfully tight.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with the frame.

#2 ·
Mine is a very similar build.

Large frame. King hubs and headset, Flow rims RR tyres (2.4 up front is great for rigid)
Eriksen 400mm ti post, Rocket V (SLT?) saddle, Ritchey WCS cockpit, Ozriders foam grips. BB7 brakes, xt cranks. Salsa skewers and clamp
Raketmaskin, what does yours weigh? Never weighed mine but intend to.
Things I'd like to change: get rid of the basic pedals and fit XTR, new lightweight rotors.
Down the track change to lightweight hydros and a middleburn crank.

Attachments

#3 ·
A different take...

Quite Hilly here, went the Rohloff way :thumbsup:
Specs:
Niner SIR9 Medium
On One Fleegle Bars
Thompson stem
Reba SL with U-turn 70-100mm adjustability, lockout.
Formula K18 brakes
Rohloff speed hub (at the moment running 38 X 16)
Hope pro II hub front
Stans ZTR 355 29er rims
XT bottom bracket and cranks (with Gamut bash ring)
Chris King headset
Fizik Gobi saddle
TI seatpost to come...

#7 ·
* Frame Size & Color: Large Tang
* Fork: 2009 Team Reba with Maxle Lite (at 100mm).
* Brakes: Formula "The Ones", 180/160
* Cranks: FSA Team Issue Carbon w/33T q-rotor
* Front Derailleur: Not happenin'.
* Rear Derailleur: When in it's 1x9 configuration, I'll be using my X9
* Pedals: Time Alium
* Stem: Thomson Elite X4, 100mm, silver
* Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto, 11 deg bend
* Seatpost: Thomson Elite X4, silver
* Saddle: Serfas Performance Rx
* Bottom Bracket: FSA MegaExo
* Cassette: 1x9 configuration PG990. SS configuration CK SS 20T cog.
* Headset: CK NoThreadset, Navy
* Grips: Ergon GC2s
* Front Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.4
* Front Hub/Rim: Mavic C29ssmax TA
* Rear Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.4
* Rear Hub/Rim: Mavic C29ssmax
* Chain: SRAM PC 890 when SS/PC 990 when 1x9

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.