Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Show your SIR 9's!

296K views 570 replies 211 participants last post by  offrhodes42 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a few SIR 9's separately around the forum, but I seek a big heap of photos and spec talk around this most desirable piece of metal. Hope I get some company.

I'll start off with my own: a 2008 SIR 9 , large, color tang. Wheels are Chris King hubs built with Mavic TN719 and some Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2,25", the rest is stuff like XTR pedals on Middleburn cranks, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Thomson/ RaceFace controls on King headset, WTB saddle on Thomson post. Oh, and sorry about the duct tape on the seatpost to all you eagle-eyed connoiseurs. It's handy, if not beautiful.

Weight is somewhere around 10,2 kg (22,5lbs).

Attachments

See less See more
#342 ·
Last summer I started my SS experience with a white On One Inbred Limited Edition. The plan was to try it low budget and to see if it was something for me. I didn't took long to be convinced and when I heard last summer they would stop production of the Kermit SIR's (my favorite color), I did not hesitate for a moment and went looking for the last one in stock. Surprisingly it didn't took long to find the last in Large size. Lucky me.:) Finding the carbon fork was another thing. Two long months later I found one in Germany. And the fun could begin.

I started with a sober build. When there is more budget available maybe a Middleburn crank and some carbon parts will be up there.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

#354 ·
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

My new to me SIR9. Moved everything from a bump magnifying Specialized Rockhopper SS frame. This bike is a pleasure to ride. I'm pretty sure a rigid singlespeed is the ultimate use of steel tubing.

Frame: Kermit Green LG RIP9
Fork: Carver Carbon Rigid Fork
Headset: Red Chris King Headset
Stem: Ritchey WCS Stem 90mm
Bars: Truvativ Noir Carbon Bar
Brakes: Formula Oro Puro Brakes 160mm F&R
Grips: Ergon Grips
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Post, Red Woodman QR
Saddle: Ergon Pro
Bottom Bracket: Biocentric II w/Random Shimano parts bin BB
Crankset: FSA Afterburner 175mm Crank
Drivetrain: 32T E-13 Guide Ring/20T WI Freewheel/K-chain
Pedals: Crank Brother Eggbeater SL
Hubs: Paul WORD Bolt-on Hub Rear, Paul FHUB QR Hub Front- Black
Rims/Spokes: Sapim Race Spokes/Red Alloy Nipples/Derby Carbon 35mm Rims
Tires: Rocket Ron 2.25 running tubeless

#358 ·
looks great, ive got a moondust a9c that is a replacement for my tang a9c [cracked]. im considering doing a sir9 build, and was checking out the frame a few weeks ago at the shop. and it for sure got green in it.

i havent seen a 'built' pic yet tho. got any more? side view

#365 ·
Niner SIR 9:
RDO Fork
Industry 9 Trail wheels/ Torch hubs
Racing Ralphs 2.25
Thomson carbon bar
Thomson stem
Easton lock-on grips
RDO seat post
WTB Volt saddle
SRAM XO carbon cranks
MRP Bling Ring 28t
Chris King cog
Chris King Inset 7 headset
Chris King bottom bracket
Avid Elixir CR brakes

I think that's it.

#373 ·
I had a gold Sir9 a few years ago as my first single speed. I liked it but as usual thought there had to be something better. After a Scandium One9, Carbon Orbea, and Chinese Ti I came back to the original today with a new version white Sir9 that I really liked right away on the first ride tonight. It just feels fun and springy. The One9 was great in the garage at 20lbs and good on the trail but still not steel. I had ridden a light carbon Air9 that was amazing when going fast but for some dumb reason bought an Orbea, it rode terribly. Next I figured Ti, a lighter steel like frame. I spent time and energy getting a custom Chinese Ti frame made and never liked it at all. There were some quality issues and it was too stiff, it didn't have life.
Anyway I'm happy again back on a Niner. I only have a temp build on it to see if I liked it or if not would give up SS entirely. The yellow is awesome but I found white used for $500 and couldn't pay a premium for color. Once I saw that white in my garage there were no second thoughts. I do wonder if I should get a white or black Fox for it, any suggestions? I won't put anything else white on it. Pictures soon.
Ps: The 142 rear hub requirement is silly on this bike but I bought a used American Classic SS wheel and was able to convert it.

#374 ·
I've been through pretty much the same learning curve as you. I hate my Ti. I always come back to my old rootbeer SIR9 which I love best.
Have you thought about a Niner rigid carbon fork? I have one on my SIR9 and it saves a few pounds in weight and the bike still handles really well. With carbon bars and stem I don't get much trail chatter through to my hands either. It's a lot of fun. Post pics!

#375 ·
I love my Solid Gold Sir9 and it is set up with a Niner Carbon fork. I think it is about as good as a bike gets full rigid, but it depends on where you ride whether you will be happy full rigid. I probably ride it the most miles per year of all my bikes because of its amazing simplicity and comfort, but there are many places I won't take it because of all the roots. That said I have found that Football lineman gloves are a very nice addition on that bike. I am old enough to have a few hard spots on my palms from past hard work and I can ride 40 miles with Lineman gloves on that bike in moderate terrain but with regular bike gloves my hands start to bother me at about 25 miles.

#377 ·
I love my Solid Gold Sir9 and it is set up with a Niner Carbon fork. I think it is about as good as a bike gets full rigid, but it depends on where you ride whether you will be happy full rigid.
Completely agree.

I had a Carbon fork on my SIR -- I loved it when I was living in N. Texas where we had flowy single track with some roots & rocks. I have been in Phoenix going on two years and I can tell you the rigid fork in the AZ chunk feels like a pogo stick half of the time and a jack hammer the the other half.

Do consider the trail before you go rigid is all I'm saying.

#378 ·
Down Under SIR9

Hi folks
have been lurking here for quite a while and thought i would just post this pic of my 2011 Moondust Grey (L) SIR9 (hope the pic works here). Since the photo, it's been converted to 1x10, i have fitted a WTB saddle, and i am just about to fit a RDO post to it as well, so will put up another couple of pics in the next few days.
One quick question: I currently run Shimano MTB66 wheels but they're quite heavy so any suggestions on something lighter/tougher? Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

#379 ·
Hi folks
have been lurking here for quite a while and thought i would just post this pic of my 2011 Moondust Grey (L) SIR9 (hope the pic works here). Since the photo, it's been converted to 1x10, i have fitted a WTB saddle, and i am just about to fit a RDO post to it as well, so will put up another couple of pics in the next few days.
One quick question: I currently run Shimano MTB66 wheels but they're quite heavy so any suggestions on something lighter/tougher? View attachment 884140
ZTR Crest (or Arch EX if you're a bit heavier) on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs - light, tough, and easy to maintain.

#383 ·
Nice Ride J3SSEB.

I'm in the process of building up a MED SIR9 and trying to figure out how long the Rear Brake hose should be given that the hose routing goes under the bottom bracket. The rear brake line I had on my previous gen SIR is too short.

Appreciate the help from anyone who's recently built one of the new SIR9s.

tony

#386 ·
Nice Ride J3SSEB.

I'm in the process of building up a MED SIR9 and trying to figure out how long the Rear Brake hose should be given that the hose routing goes under the bottom bracket. The rear brake line I had on my previous gen SIR is too short.

Appreciate the help from anyone who's recently built one of the new SIR9s.

tony
I measured mine and it came about to about 55", give or take a few centimeters. Mind you, my frame is a large, not medium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.