Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Show your SIR 9's!

296K views 570 replies 211 participants last post by  offrhodes42 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a few SIR 9's separately around the forum, but I seek a big heap of photos and spec talk around this most desirable piece of metal. Hope I get some company.

I'll start off with my own: a 2008 SIR 9 , large, color tang. Wheels are Chris King hubs built with Mavic TN719 and some Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2,25", the rest is stuff like XTR pedals on Middleburn cranks, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Thomson/ RaceFace controls on King headset, WTB saddle on Thomson post. Oh, and sorry about the duct tape on the seatpost to all you eagle-eyed connoiseurs. It's handy, if not beautiful.

Weight is somewhere around 10,2 kg (22,5lbs).

Attachments

See less See more
#219 ·
My faithful 2006 Sir9. Has been geared for the past 6 years and SS as of today! Running 32/18 for a little more speed.

Build
2006 Niner Sir9 large
Reba race fork with pop lock
Velocity hubs and Blunt rims
Thomson post and stem
Middleburn RS8 cranks and uno ring
Formula Oro brakes
Niner flat bar
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Continental Race King tyres

Attachments

#221 ·
While I have my YAWYD on a different bike, I see no reason it would not work on the Niner Carbon Fork Expander if you have enough spacers. The Niner expander has a lip that adds less than a mm or so to the top of the steer tube, but as long as you had less than a mm or so more spacers, it would be like any other headset.

#222 ·
Here's mine... I just finished the build yesterday.

Weight came in at 21 lbs 7 oz with front tire tubed, but I plan on converting it to tubeless before long. The Saddle is temporary, as I had it lying around because it came with my Pivot Mach 5.7.

I posted it in the "Let's See Those 29er Rigids!!" thread, but I thought I should post it here too.

Heading out for the maiden ride in about an hour!

* The brake pads are installed facing the wrong direction in this pic. I noticed that after taking this photograph, and fixed it.

#225 ·
They don't come up very often here in the UK - I was watching eBay and Singletrackworld classifieds for 6 months before a Large appeared on sale (which I snapped up) but I think Medium is more common.

Far too expensive to buy new here - £869 (and never on special offer) = $1335 :eekster:

#244 · (Edited)
Just finished my build... matching steel fork coming.

2010 Large 25 lbs. at present w/ Reba Team 20mm TA, King hub on Flow rim
32t Blackspire chain ring bolted to (a super rare) XT 104 spider, mounted on XTR M952 180mm cranks (2.5mm spacer on drive side)
Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals (190g for the pair!)
Easton carbon low rise bars
BB7 brakes
Oury grips
Bontrager 110 mm stem
Truvative Noir T-30 carbon post
Bontrager Duster rims, Racing Ralph 2.4F/2.35R (tubeless)

#249 ·

2013 Niner SIR9 small, white
Niner steel fork
XT cranks, 32t Niner ring
Niner RDO 20t cog
WTB Frequency 23, Hope ProIIEVO hubs
Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires ( ho lee shat these are BIG)
Thomson/Thomson
Avid Code brakes (got a deal on them).

I love everything about the frame, the only thing I wish was a cleaner look/fit was the lower cup on the headset. I imagine it wouldn't be as bad with a big fork on there, I may have a suspension fork on it in the near future but, it really looks ugly this way. The other option would be a 44mm upper and lower option from King or Cane Creek.

#259 ·
In my opinion the main dif between the Niner carbon fork and the steel fork is the carbon fork is much better at braking. Hard braking flexes the steel fork significantly more than the Niner Carbon one. You also get slightly better steering precision and the carbon fork soaks up the chatter better, but the steel fork is better for the big hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.