Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Show your SIR 9's!

296K views 570 replies 211 participants last post by  offrhodes42 
#1 · (Edited)
There are a few SIR 9's separately around the forum, but I seek a big heap of photos and spec talk around this most desirable piece of metal. Hope I get some company.

I'll start off with my own: a 2008 SIR 9 , large, color tang. Wheels are Chris King hubs built with Mavic TN719 and some Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2,25", the rest is stuff like XTR pedals on Middleburn cranks, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, Thomson/ RaceFace controls on King headset, WTB saddle on Thomson post. Oh, and sorry about the duct tape on the seatpost to all you eagle-eyed connoiseurs. It's handy, if not beautiful.

Weight is somewhere around 10,2 kg (22,5lbs).

Attachments

See less See more
#206 ·
Here's mine

Fair enough.

Just putting the finishing touches to mine, and here she is (built from bits bought off eBay and online retailer clearance sales). Frame is a Large. It's had a fair bit of use but still seems OK. Tubeless wheel set up with Stans milk (local area is thorny).

Still need to cut and bleed the rear brake hose and change the chain from SRAM PC7X to a PC870 8 speed - my drivechain is 3/32" but that 7 speed chain is 1/8" and thanks to MTBR forums I've discovered that's not a good thing!

Also putting on some Ergon GX2 grips and carbon bar ends when I can afford them...

Oh and I will probably cut the steerer down further to get rid of some of those spacers, and am on the lookout for a cheap Niner carbon fork to try...

Weight is 24lbs on the nose. If I can find a Niner carbon fork on eBay it should drop by 2lbs.

Attachments

#207 ·
Fair enough.

Just putting the finishing touches to mine, and here she is (built from bits bought off eBay and online retailer clearance sales). Frame is a Large. It's had a fair bit of use but still seems OK. Tubeless wheel set up with Stans milk (local area is thorny).

Still need to cut and bleed the rear brake hose and change the chain from SRAM PC7X to a PC870 8 speed - my drivechain is 3/32" but that 7 speed chain is 1/8" and thanks to MTBR forums I've discovered that's not a good thing!

Also putting on some Ergon GX2 grips and carbon bar ends when I can afford them...

Oh and I will probably cut the steerer down further to get rid of some of those spacers, and am on the lookout for a cheap Niner carbon fork to try...

Weight is 24lbs on the nose. If I can find a Niner carbon fork on eBay it should drop by 2lbs.
Spencer, it's looking good. I like the white fork. I will most likely put a Niner steel fork in Root Beer on it in a month or so.

#209 ·
Clean, Green

My main bike is a One 9, so I built this up for the wife. She chose the frame color and I built up the frame with nearly identical parts to my Niner (good to have a back up). Lucky for me she rides the same size frame, so I think I might end up putting quite a few miles on this green machine. Set up as a 1x9 for easy conversion to SS if desired. :thumbsup:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle fork

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

#215 ·
new do-it-all Kermit Green SIR 9
she is set up SS First ( I have the 1x9 drive-train in the bin)
Niner SIR9 Medium frame Kermit
reba rl 100mm fork
Stan's arch EX wheels
Niner kermit Flat top bar
Niner kermit carbon seat post
salsa QR binder
wtb rocket v slt TI saddle
CK red head set
Kermit Green Osi Grips
Shimano SLX brakeset w/ HSX rotors
race face deus crank arms
Niner 32t chainring
Niner 20t cog
s-works fast track 2.0 rear tire - tubeless
schwable Nobby Nic 2.25 front tire - tubeless
2 specialized water bottle cages
xtr trail pedals
weight 22.44

Attachments

#216 ·
It's OK to be drooling at someone elses' bike but I'm drooling at all the photos that have been posted in this thread even though I own one myself.... I must be abnormal. Thought I'd share a photo of mine too (This one is not too clear but if there is demand, I'll take closeup pictures and post when I have the time)

Current weight is 8.376 kgs (My current setup has 2 things that are different from the pic. I have CX tires & the new Niner seat clamp installed now.)

Attachments

#219 ·
My faithful 2006 Sir9. Has been geared for the past 6 years and SS as of today! Running 32/18 for a little more speed.

Build
2006 Niner Sir9 large
Reba race fork with pop lock
Velocity hubs and Blunt rims
Thomson post and stem
Middleburn RS8 cranks and uno ring
Formula Oro brakes
Niner flat bar
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Continental Race King tyres

Attachments

#221 ·
While I have my YAWYD on a different bike, I see no reason it would not work on the Niner Carbon Fork Expander if you have enough spacers. The Niner expander has a lip that adds less than a mm or so to the top of the steer tube, but as long as you had less than a mm or so more spacers, it would be like any other headset.

#222 ·
Here's mine... I just finished the build yesterday.

Weight came in at 21 lbs 7 oz with front tire tubed, but I plan on converting it to tubeless before long. The Saddle is temporary, as I had it lying around because it came with my Pivot Mach 5.7.

I posted it in the "Let's See Those 29er Rigids!!" thread, but I thought I should post it here too.

Heading out for the maiden ride in about an hour!

* The brake pads are installed facing the wrong direction in this pic. I noticed that after taking this photograph, and fixed it.

#225 ·
They don't come up very often here in the UK - I was watching eBay and Singletrackworld classifieds for 6 months before a Large appeared on sale (which I snapped up) but I think Medium is more common.

Far too expensive to buy new here - £869 (and never on special offer) = $1335 :eekster:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.