Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Weekend Project complete. RDO Seatpost and Niner Nude Carbon Fork on order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-317311_10150448405146329_740626328_10659048_798733330_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm the proud new papa of this baby:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-sir9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am planning to build up an SIR9 but I would have to sell my RIP9 for it. You guys think it would be worth it? I am more 70% XC, 30% AM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    That is up to you. I have 2 Sirs and a Jet and I ride my Sirs more.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    I am planning to build up an SIR9 but I would have to sell my RIP9 for it. You guys think it would be worth it? I am more 70% XC, 30% AM.
    That's a tough question and one that only you can answer. However if you don't mind me putting in my two cents worth; I personally would go for the SIR but this is a SIR 9 thread so you're probably going to get a lot of yes's for the SIR. Still, better looking, no bearings or rear shocks to mess with/set up. Also more of a lively ride, more direct. And lighter, if that counts at all.

mtbr member

My SIR Single Speed Rigid

2010 SIR 9 Solid Gold - Medium
    Chris King Headset
    Niner Carbon Fork Nude
    Easton Monkey Light Carbon Bar
    Ergon Grips
    XT Brakes
    RaceFace Dues Cranks / Bash (32x19)
    Arch 29er / Industry Nine Hubs SS
    Ardent 2.4 FR / Slant 6 2.2 Rear
    RDO Seatpost (not pictured)
    Fizik Tundra2 Saddle
    ~21lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-sir-ss-rigid-lr2.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-sir-ss-rigid-lr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Built mine up about 1.5 years ago and haven't ridden anything else since.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-sir9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_rad View Post
    That's a tough question and one that only you can answer. However if you don't mind me putting in my two cents worth; I personally would go for the SIR but this is a SIR 9 thread so you're probably going to get a lot of yes's for the SIR. Still, better looking, no bearings or rear shocks to mess with/set up. Also more of a lively ride, more direct. And lighter, if that counts at all.
    I have to agree. Only you can make this decision for yourself. If you can swing both, do both. I currently live in Nebraska, and If I had to choose...I'd stick with my SIR. However, I'm moving to Colorado in March...so my answer would likely change...

Good luck with your decision. I assure you that you'd be happy with either!

Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    I have to agree. Only you can make this decision for yourself. If you can swing both, do both. I currently live in Nebraska, and If I had to choose...I'd stick with my SIR. However, I'm moving to Colorado in March...so my answer would likely change...

Good luck with your decision. I assure you that you'd be happy with either!

Chris
    I live in Colorado and up until mid-2010, I've been riding full suspension bikes since 1997. I built up my Sir last year and haven't touched a FS rig since. I don't care how technical the terrain is, the Sir is far more fun to ride. Even the trips I took to Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Wyoming were all on my Sir. And this is coming from a 58 year old! So don't sell the Sir short until you give it a shot on our trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    Has anyone installed an Alfine 11 or Rohloff Speedhub on their SIR 9? Any issues?
    I have an Alfine 8 on my SIR9 if that helps. The cable routing is the only problem -- have to go full length housing the whole way, really.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    There are advantages to full length housing anyway, so that would not be a negative to me.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen View Post
    I'm the proud new papa of this baby:

Could you put up your build list ?
    I love the way that bash setup looks with the SLX crank. Going to be ordering a SIR 9 for myself. HBC bash,C-ring and cog ? Thanks..looks really really good!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Really like your beasts and.....just bought a new Sir 9 frame to build up rigid for SS.
    The question is reynolds/niner fork or carbon/niner fork?
    Any suggestion?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by telenic View Post
    Really like your beasts and.....just bought a new Sir 9 frame to build up rigid for SS.
    The question is reynolds/niner fork or carbon/niner fork?
    Any suggestion?
    Go with the steel fork. Keep the tubing the same. Compare some pics of SIRS??MCR's built up with both steel and carbon niner forks.

AL and carbon niners look great with the carbon fork. Thier steel frames look terrible with a carbon fork. Totally kills the lines of the bike.

I know, I know. It's all about the ride and performance.

If you really want to make it look hidious. Throw a Lefty on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, steel looks better, but it also flexes a bit more and provides a bit smoother ride. So it depends on your priorities. If you want stiff and quick steering response and lighter weight, then the newer carbon fork with a 15mm axle would be the chioce. If you want a smoother ride and better looks and lower cost, then go steel.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Go with the steel fork. Keep the tubing the same. Compare some pics of SIRS??MCR's built up with both steel and carbon niner forks.

AL and carbon niners look great with the carbon fork. Thier steel frames look terrible with a carbon fork. Totally kills the lines of the bike.

I know, I know. It's all about the ride and performance.

If you really want to make it look hidious. Throw a Lefty on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Yes, steel looks better, but it also flexes a bit more and provides a bit smoother ride. So it depends on your priorities. If you want stiff and quick steering response and lighter weight, then the newer carbon fork with a 15mm axle would be the chioce. If you want a smoother ride and better looks and lower cost, then go steel.
    Agree that it would look hideous with a lefty (but then what doesn't )

Personally I don't think mine looks terrible

Pretty sure the 15mm fork has a tapered steerer and won't fit a SIR9, you would have to stick with the older 9mm QR design.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

Can't use the RDO 15m fork anyway. It's tapered only.

errr...
    double post. Forum acting up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Cool-blue Rhythm Question for Ozynigma~

What brand name of seat is that on you SIR? And where did u get from?
    Niner Rider 4-life!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammerboxx99 View Post
    Looks like it is a Fizik.

I have a White an Orange Fizik Tundra that has 2 rides on it and is up for sale if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammerboxx99 View Post
    Fizik Antares

They are a wider flatter seat which I find suits me nicely (146mm wide).

This is the Team Liquigas model with the carbon rails, so at the top end of the range.

I also have a plain black one with alloy rails on my RIP for instance.

I got it from a US ebay seller for about $160US. I have also seen them for sale at Wiggle in the UK.

errr...
    I think the carbon fork, if painted the same as the frame - looks fine.

mtbr member
    21 lbs.
    Niner Sir 9
    Niner Carbon Fork
    Niner Carbon Bars
    Niner Carbon RDO Seat Post
    Niner 20 tooth cog
    Selle Italia Superflow 130 Saddle
    E.13 XC Cranks
    E.13 32 tooth ring
    Crank Brothers Eggbeater 11's
    Salsa Seat Clamp
    KMC K710 sl Gold Chain
    Shimano XT Brakes
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro Wheels
    Thomson Stem with Gold Dress Up Kit
    Chris King Rasta Headset
    Ergon Bio Kork Grips

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Blingosaurus!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubble View Post
    Blingosaurus!
    lol..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Very nice, we will have to have a weigh off because I have no idea how heavy mine is

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

1x10 with XT 2012

24.8 lbs
    Crests/240s/Ti spokes (1460g)
    Tubeless Racing Ralphs Snake Skin
    Exotic Ti post
    Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow
    FOX F29 80mm (2010, non-FIT)
    1x10 Full XT (2012) Transmission
    Elixir 5's (soon to be replaced by R1s)
    XTR pedals

I have used it SS and 1x9 with rigid fork. Now this is v3.0 with 1x10 and the FOX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-1126_1.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-1126_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Biela View Post
    24.8 lbs
    Crests/240s/Ti spokes (1460g)
    Tubeless Racing Ralphs Snake Skin
    Exotic Ti post
    Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow
    FOX F29 80mm (2010, non-FIT)
    1x10 Full XT (2012) Transmission
    Elixir 5's (soon to be replaced by R1s)
    XTR pedals

I have used it SS and 1x9 with rigid fork. Now this is v3.0 with 1x10 and the FOX.
    What is your favorite setup so far?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'd say that SS with rigid fork is how this bike gives its best. The 1x10 + FOX version is set up like this for trying some marathon races. If I like the races and I keep on it I would like to transfer this 1x10+FOX set up to a Ti frame and set the SIR9 back to SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    having recently converted my Sir to 1x10 and Fox Fork ( similar to Dr Biele but more clunky X9 components) i have found that gearing the SIR and providing it more cush up front exposes its flex as a weakness.

It seems to run best with a Niner Carbon fork and SS where the flex and give allow the bike to dig in and spring around. When suspended and geared your riding position is more fixed and you can feel that frame siphoning the energy from each pedal stroke.

Best leave the SIR as an SS or just a cruiser, to ask anything more requires moving to something else. I still love my SIR and its now the oldest bike in my quiver. All above is not a critisism is just my observation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I kind of agree with Professed's observation, but sort of still like that springy feeling as it also provides some confort for long races (besides I don't race for winning anything but fun). Anyway, I prefer that feeling rather than a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    having recently converted my Sir to 1x10 and Fox Fork ( similar to Dr Biele but more clunky X9 components) i have found that gearing the SIR and providing it more cush up front exposes its flex as a weakness.

It seems to run best with a Niner Carbon fork and SS where the flex and give allow the bike to dig in and spring around. When suspended and geared your riding position is more fixed and you can feel that frame siphoning the energy from each pedal stroke.

Best leave the SIR as an SS or just a cruiser, to ask anything more requires moving to something else. I still love my SIR and its now the oldest bike in my quiver. All above is not a critisism is just my observation.
    That sounds backwards to me. You generally apply a lot more torque to the pedals & frame when riding SS, grinding hard up a climb, pulling on the bars, mashing the pedals. So that's when you want a stiffer frame so that torque doesn't go into flexing the frame. With gears, I tend to do more sitting and spinning, so I'm not flexing the bike as much.

If you are a big and/or strong rider, then the SIR9 might just be too flexy for you, especially if riding SS. I'm not big or strong, so it works well for me. I like the ride feel and the handling. I never notice the flex on the trails, but if I'm riding on pavement and wiggle the handlebars I can really feel the frame wiggling under me. If I try this with my Tallboy, it doesn't wiggle at all, and it's a full-squish bike with a 120mm fork on it.

I have had my SIR9 set up as 1x9 and as SS, and I like it both ways. I haven't tried a rigid fork on it, though. I have a 100mm Terralogic fork on it, and I think that is the perfect setup on a hardtail, especially for SS riding. I might try a rigid fork with a high-volume tire someday, but I ride in rocky terrain and after riding rigid (on my old titanium 26er with steel fork) for an hour or so I start feeling beat up.
    Last edited by jabrabu; 02-19-2012 at 06:52 AM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have 2 sirs one is set up SS full rigid and the other is geared with fox. I also own a One9and a Jet9 so I can compare. The Sir's are very stiff in the rear triangle for a steel bike which provides very good power transfer. This is why most find the Sir very good as a full rigid SS. The rear triangle of the Sir is not 853, just the front triangle. If you torque the bars while seated by lifting one side and pushing down on the other, they are more flexy than the One and way more flexy than the Jet. This doesn't mean much though in actual riding since I have never met a bike that I could not flex in this way. There are almost no actual riding situations that I can think of where you would be seated and pulling up with one hand and pushing down with the other on the bars. In reality, when you would be pulling up on one side of the bars is when you are standing and in that situation, the seat can move from side to side and there is not that much flex. The 853 steel provides an exceptional ride full rigid and allows you to ride a full rigid for hours at at time. It is true that I am faster on the One and Jet than one the Sirs by a little bit, but the Sirs are more comfortable than the One and obviously, the rear suspension on the Jet allows flying over some spots that are not possible with hardtails and provides more comfort, but the extra weight also wears you out faster. Since I don't race at 57, if life conspired that I could only have one bike it would be a Sir. Although in the last year, I have ridden my One the most since I am enjoying front suspension and SS. Last year I rode my SS Sir the most. So if I could only have one bike it would be a SS Sir with suspension at this age.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Better late than never

Quote Originally Posted by chase1963 View Post
    Could you put up your build list ?
    I love the way that bash setup looks with the SLX crank. Going to be ordering a SIR 9 for myself. HBC bash,C-ring and cog ? Thanks..looks really really good!
    Sorry, just noticed your post chase. You're right about the HBC components.

SIR 9 small
    Reba 100mm
    FSA headset
    DT350 hubs/WTB Laser TCS Trails
    Formula Oro K18
    SLX cranks
    32t HBC chainring/bash
    20t HBC cog
    Ragley Carnegie carbon bar
    Truvativ AKA stem 80mm
    WTB Devo ti saddle

Loooove this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    57 and still going. Awesome!!! At 43, I wonder when I should start to slow down and stop buying so many bikes. I guess not yet.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Olyoyster View Post
    57 and still going. Awesome!!! At 43, I wonder when I should start to slow down and stop buying so many bikes. I guess not yet.

My 75 year old step father was still doing 125 miles a week on his bike so I guess you have got along way yet.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    SS Rigid in the winter
    1x9 With a 100mm Reba the rest of the year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-imgp1697.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-imgp2283.jpg  

Mulleticious

Getting ready for the build...

Pulling together the components for my first build (Sir9) - exciting!

Can anyone tell me whether this chainset will fit in the EBB and do I need to buy the BB cups as well or that included???

RaceFace Deus XC Singlespeed Chainset | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    If you read the description it says that the bearings have a triple wiper seal and are filled with Phil Wood Grease so the crank "set" includes the bearings. And yes, this crank will fit the Niner EBB and is in fact the type of crank they recommend (the type with external BB bearings).

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    If you read the description it says that the bearings have a triple wiper seal and are filled with Phil Wood Grease so the crank "set" includes the bearings. And yes, this crank will fit the Niner EBB and is in fact the type of crank they recommend (the type with external BB bearings).
    Thanks. I did read this but wasn't sure what it meant. (haven't built a bike before...).

Can't wait...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes it will fit your SIR9.

The BB should be included but I would send CRC a quick email to check because it doesn't state it in the description.

Mulleticious

SIR9 Build

Having bought a 2009 Rootbeer frame (Large) on eBay I'm gradually finding bits for my first 29er build.

I'll have a Reba RL 1+1/8" steerer suspension fork - can I use any 1+1/8" headset, or are headsets 29er specific? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but there's a Cane Creek headset (S3 Plus 5) that is advertised as "suiting 29er's"

Mulleticious
    Oh - and any advice on a good quality Single speed adaptor kit (I have a Hope hub designed to take a cassette) - looking to use a 16 tooth sprocket and spacers, but want lightweight and good quality. Thanks.

(Will try the SS forum as well...)

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    There are 3 basic type s of headsets and a few other variations to boot. There are: Traditional, Integrated, and Zero Stack. Sir's take what is called a traditional headset that is pressed in. I am not familiar with that specific Cane Creek model, but you can contact them and they will tell you what models will work for traditional headtube designs.

I like the Surley kit but it is not particularly light. If you want light then the best aluminum sprocket in my experience is Niner. If you want steel then Surley are very robust. If you want Ti or custom or aluminum center with steel teeth then Homebrew Components who is on this site is the best for those.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To answer a couple of your questions.

Cane Creek probably refer to it as suitable for 29'ers because it has a minimum stack height outside the head tube. 29'ers are higher in the head tube than 26'ers so a lot of riders run less spacers.

Chris King do a high quality stainless steel sprocket and spacer kit with an optional ti locking ring for a bit extra. Check out aspirevelotech.com

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have both a Cane Creek 110 and a Kris King and hands down the 110 is better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Just Finished

Shared this in other forums, but thought it
    d be really at home here!

Sir9: size large rootbeer
    Niner Steel rootbeer fork
    White Ind square taper bb
    White Ind ENO cranks
    White Ind 34t Chainrin w bashguard
    Shimano XT Pedals
    Chris King No Threadset
    Pro Carbon 80mm Stem
    Pro Carbon Hi Rise Bars
    Ritchey WCS Ergo Foam Grips
    Shimano XT Brakes (Black still need to shorten lines)
    Ice Tech Rotors 160
    Thompson Seat Clamp
    Thompson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Brooks Swift Titanium Saddle
    Chris King SS cog 19t w spacers
    White Ind ENO disc Hubs built onto Stans Archs
    Loaded Titanium Skewers
    Conti Mountain King
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 Rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-50-54_663.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-51-01_882.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-51-49_914.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-52-13_510.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-52-21_280.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_14-52-30_304.jpg  

Show your SIR 9's!-2012-03-10_15-28-05_53.jpg  

'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by skiwallace View Post
    Shared this in other forums, but thought it
    d be really at home here!

Sir9: size large rootbeer
    Niner Steel rootbeer fork
    White Ind square taper bb
    White Ind ENO cranks
    White Ind 34t Chainrin w bashguard
    Shimano XT Pedals
    Chris King No Threadset
    Pro Carbon 80mm Stem
    Pro Carbon Hi Rise Bars
    Ritchey WCS Ergo Foam Grips
    Shimano XT Brakes (Black still need to shorten lines)
    Ice Tech Rotors 160
    Thompson Seat Clamp
    Thompson Masterpiece Seatpost
    Brooks Swift Titanium Saddle
    Chris King SS cog 19t w spacers
    White Ind ENO disc Hubs built onto Stans Archs
    Loaded Titanium Skewers
    Conti Mountain King
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 Rear
    Very nice! What's the weight (must be quite light I imagine...)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sweet build Wallace. Now all you'll need to do is get it dirty when those trails dry out a bit here.

Medi
    I just got this 2009 SIR 9. Medium size, Root Beer. Here's a pic before I set it up:

Here's how it looks like with Ergon GR2 carbon grips and Specialized Infinity tires (700x35):

Last edited by medi.hash; 03-13-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    2009 Niner S.I.R. 9
    2012 Spec SJ EVO 29er
    2008 Spec Tri-Cross
    2001 Spec FSR S-Works

http://www.TemporaryObsessions.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast