Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been wanting to build a sir 9 for years. Finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago.... Man i Love the way this bike rides.Show your SIR 9's!-2015-12-26-16.31.06-1.jpgShow your SIR 9's!-2015-12-26-16.38.06.jpg

mtbr member
    So a couple months back I helped my brother in law purchase a moondust grey sir 9. Completely corrupted me. The stand over. The rider compartment. Good ol' 853. Ended up selling my touring rig, a moots ybb 29er and picking up a white sir9. Reminded me a lot of the Gunnar Rockhound 29er I parted with when I purchased the moots.

So far- way more tire clearance and the 142 makes it ultra stiff in the rear, which is nice when you elect to run BB7s. Those were my two beefs with the Mootsie (and Gunnar).

Haven't ridden it excessively to say whether it feels as supple as the Moots, nor would I expect it to- but the feeling of owning blue collar steel again...

So I built a soma wolverine with the xt 9 and then used the wheels, fork, stem bars and pretty much just scrounged the rest from the parts bin or friends to get the sir9 up and running.

The compatibility and interchangeability of the 240s hubs is truly remarkable.

Sir9 frame- medium
    Fox rlc 100mm fork
    Stans arch hoops w/ 240s hubs
    Moots post
    BB7 brake set
    Thomson 90mm stem

The rest is Johnny Stock and fill in wabi sabi. Will purchase an m8000 grouppo before the touring begins this season.

Pink grips were my daughter's and are just awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-e9f4b2f4-16db-4ca4-8873-151b2b859ff9.jpg  

Last edited by Shooter McGavin; 01-10-2016 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Show your SIR 9's!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1454251722.182697.jpg

Stripped, sandblasted and clear coated frame and fork for that utilitarian, toned-down look.

Originally an arctic white frame, size small with a salsa Cro-moto tapered and Thru-axle fork

Easton Arc rims, Hope Pro 2 Evo 40T hubs, DT swiss comp spokes, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 tires

XT M780 groupset modified to a 1x10 setup, raceface 32T narrow-wide chainring, Wolftooth 42T giant cog, Wolftooth 16T cog, Wolftooth GoatLink direct mount replacement for improved shifting and chain wrap

Niner RDO cockpit, ESI grips, WTB Silverado Team saddle

Shakedown ride this afternoon and noticed the rear rotor rubbing with the calipers while the frame is flexing during hard climbs. Anyone experience this? Shouldn't the maxle stiffen the rear and avoid such flex?

mtbr member
    Anyone know the weight of the Sir 9, small? I'm on a One 9 Hydroformed right now and thinking about changing to a Sir 9 or a One 9 RDO. I know the Sir 9 is the heaviest of the bunch but just curious about how heavy.

mtbr member
    I know this isn't an exact answer to your question but I have both the current SIR 9 and current One 9 RDO and they are built up identically (same forks, wheels, tyres, bars, brakes drivetrain, saddles, seat post) and there is 1kg difference between the two bikes. Both medium frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jas76 View Post
    I know this isn't an exact answer to your question but I have both the current SIR 9 and current One 9 RDO and they are built up identically (same forks, wheels, tyres, bars, brakes drivetrain, saddles, seat post) and there is 1kg difference between the two bikes. Both medium frames.
    Wow. a 2.2 lbs. difference just from the frame? Makes sense...I hear estimates that the SIR is 5 lbs. and the RDO is 2.7 lbs. The hydroformed One 9 is right in the middle at 3.5. Not sure if the extra weight is worth the improved ride quality over the hydroformed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pull the Maxle and check that the axle in the hub isn't broken. Check for play in the freehub. I've broken 2 Hope SS hub axle in the last year. Both have been replaced under warranty and the last has been replaced with a steel axle
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2
    '15 Niner SIR 9 SS
    '14 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Wow. a 2.2 lbs. difference just from the frame? Makes sense...I hear estimates that the SIR is 5 lbs. and the RDO is 2.7 lbs. The hydroformed One 9 is right in the middle at 3.5. Not sure if the extra weight is worth the improved ride quality over the hydroformed.
    Yeah, its a difference but hey, I ride both the One 9 RDO and the SIR 9 equally. I don't notice the weight persee (only if I am carrying them) its the difference in the steel and the carbon I notice. One 9 is sharper, accelerates quicker but the SIR 9 takes less concentration and can sometimes be more comfortable (and faster as a result) when I'm not completely in the "racer" mindset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj View Post
    Pull the Maxle and check that the axle in the hub isn't broken. Check for play in the freehub. I've broken 2 Hope SS hub axle in the last year. Both have been replaced under warranty and the last has been replaced with a steel axle
    Thanks, went ahead and checked, and my problem was the maxle wasn't tight enough! There wasn't any play with the hub or the wheel, but when I tried unthreading the maxle the tension of the QR lever wasn't as tight as it should, it came off easily. Re-threaded and re-tightened and made sure the QR was tight enough to leave an imprint on my palm. A quick run through our local trails and no more rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

santa cruz tallboy 3 29er
    yeti asrc

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    23lb 6oz
    niner sir 9 large
    niner rdo fork
    sram gx 1x11
    raceface affect cranks
    easton ec70 carbon lo rise bars
    niner trail 50mm stem
    niner aluminum post
    sdg bel air saddle
    formula t1 brakes 180/160 rotors
    sram roam 30 wheels set up tubeless
    schwalbe thunder burts 29x2.25
    santa cruz tallboy 3 29er
    yeti asrc

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    @tony - nice setup. Everything I love about SS, super clean and sharp.

mtbr member
    Picking it up tonight. Got a great deal on a NOS small SIR 9 in moondust. It was originally going to be a single speed, but decided to sell the JET 9 and go back to a hardtail for the first time in over 13 years.

The build:
    Small moondust frame
    X-Fusion Slide with 15mm thru
    Chris King Headset
    XT cranks with Absolute Black 34t oval ring
    SRAM GX gripshift and rear derailleur
    Niner aluminum post and bar (710 width)
    Notubes Crests with Kenda Karma 2.2 SCT (holding air for a month with no sealant in them yet)
    Ashima 160R and 180F rotors w/pink highlights
    Older Deore brakes (will eventually upgrade those)
    Sunrace 11spd MX8 11-42 cassette
    Photo has an old, beat up San Marco ERA but will have an old, beat up San Marco Aspide on it when I pick it up while I search for what I want for my next saddle.

I am looking forward to riding a hardtail again and seeing if I am faster, slower, or no difference on my local trails.

Show your SIR 9's!-image8.jpeg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Reborn/rebuilt after scoring some wheels. Good to have her rolling again after a couple years hanging in the garage.

Would like to score a suspension for for it though.

Show your SIR 9's!-img_1316.jpg

mtbr member
    Got mine out on it's maiden trail ride on Saturday. After almost 14 years on full suspension it was definitely different being back on a hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Show your SIR 9's!-wheel.jpgShow your SIR 9's!-wheeelz.jpg

My SIR. Few things have changed since these pics, I got a niner carbon seatpost, oval ring, put a fat b nimble 3.0 on the front and moved the ralph 2.4 to the back. Love this bike!!
    Niner RIP 9 Alloy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have always wanted a Niner 853 bike, used to be the MCR, but since that was discontinued the SIR has been the only option. Currently looking at a few used MCR's as well as a few SIR's, and started thinking about possibly trying singlespeed. Anyone with an SIR ever convert back and forth? I am curious how much time that takes, not that I plan on doing it daily or anything.

These things are gorgeous, post more photos!

mtbr member
    Had a SIR9, 80% of the time SS, changed it every two months for a weekend only, fairly easy, took me around 20 minutes (when I had to mess around with the rear derailleur), if not 10 minutes top.

get it, you wont regret it

mtbr member
    Haven't posted mine in a while:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Haven't run mine geared but I ran an Inbred that I used to swap regularly.
    Left the shifter bracket on the bars. Was 1x9, (eventually 1x10), with a front chain guide left on all the time. Easier these days with thick/thin rings obviously. One of the cable guides needed splitting.
    Swap wheel, mount the shifter & mech, slot cable into guides, swap chains.
    Took 10 mins tops.

But, why on earth would you want to run gears... 😉

Nice to see some action on this thread...😀

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by takisawa2 View Post
    Haven't run mine geared but I ran an Inbred that I used to swap regularly.
    Left the shifter bracket on the bars. Was 1x9, (eventually 1x10), with a front chain guide left on all the time. Easier these days with thick/thin rings obviously. One of the cable guides needed splitting.
    Swap wheel, mount the shifter & mech, slot cable into guides, swap chains.
    Took 10 mins tops.

But, why on earth would you want to run gears... 😉
    Honestly, never tried an SS, so I can't yet say whether I like gears more or less than SS. One reason I like the SIR, is if I don't like SS, its just a couple parts shy of a 1x11 (which I want to try as well).

When you are swapping from geared to SS, you can reuse the shifter cable, correct?

mtbr member
    I'm using a full length outer gear cable attached with zip ties, so it's even easier and faster to change from SS to geared. You never need to adjust it, just put it on or take it off.

I was using the same shifter-cable-derailleur combo in my previous One9 which was specced for full length outer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    I'm using a full length outer gear cable attached with zip ties, so it's even easier and faster to change from SS to geared. You never need to adjust it, just put it on or take it off.

I was using the same shifter-cable-derailleur combo in my previous One9 which was specced for full length outer.
    Well, that is pretty brilliant. Do you have to switch the derailleur hanger? I don't see any reason that the SS wheel would have an issue, but just curious.

Hoping it all works and I don't NEED to switch, we will have to see how well the setup agrees with the foothills here in Boise.

mtbr member
    I switch the hanger together with the derailleur, so I just need to open the two tiny screws to remove it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, I ordered a white medium, and received a white large... and they don't have another one, but they do have a yellow, which I don't really like. So, the shop is going to order the new grey/white for me it looks like. Anyone have any photos of one in the wild?

mtbr member
    Here is my blazing yellow. Those new grey scheme bikes do look nice, would like to see one in the wild as well.
    Show your SIR 9's!-blazingsaddle2.jpg

Show your SIR 9's!-blazingsaddle.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New Silver/White SIR

Apologies for the steerer, had it cut today but am sick and haven't had time nor motivation for a proper photo. I can assure you I will take a better photo, and that it does in fact look WAY better without the periscope.

Niner SIR, medium, Stan's Rapid wheels, Maxxis Icon 2.35's, XT 8000 crank, XT8000 brakes, Thomson Masterpiece seatpost (stolen from another bike to get enough post), Ritchey WCS Stream saddle (jury is still out, only 10 miles on it so far), Ritchey alloy bar and stem. I plan to try some sort of alt bar like the Answer 20/20 or Origin 8 UL8, not sure which, but I know I want carbon since its a rigid.

After I test the waters on gearing, I plan to get an absolute black oval ring, but I want to determine what size and what cog I will want to go with it, I am thinking 32/19, but we will see.

Show your SIR 9's!-img_2925.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi All,

I've wanted a SIR for quite some time, and finally got around to building one. Easily the best bike I've ever ridden.

SIR 9, arctic white, L
    Manitou Tower Pro 100mm
    WTB st i23s, Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    WTB Trail Boss 2.4(f), 2.25(r), tubeless
    SLX brakes
    XT 1x10 drivetrain
    Wolf tooth 30t n/w
    Niner flat top alloy bar w/ESI chunky
    Niner Carbon post
    WTB Rocket saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname View Post
    Here is my blazing yellow. Those new grey scheme bikes do look nice, would like to see one in the wild as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blazingsaddle2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	1072791

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blazingsaddle.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	1072792
    What dropper are you running in your SIR? I am almost convinced to go the dropper route and have been looking at the PNW Rainier and X-Fusion Hilo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    What dropper are you running in your SIR? I am almost convinced to go the dropper route and have been looking at the PNW Rainier and X-Fusion Hilo.
    Its a 27.2 KS LEV, but I can't say that I'd recommend it. It has a very slow return rate and sometimes gets stuck down requiring a 'butt bump' to get it to return. This was after KS rebuilt it under warranty. I'm now rocking a Niner RDO post on the SIR 9.

I have a 30.9 Thomson dropper on my bigger bike which I love, and I think they also make a 27.2 version, but its $$$$.

mtbr member
    Do you have any pictures showing how you run the dropper post cable?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't have any pictures unfortunately and I've since removed the post, but basically I ran the cable down the downtube just as you would for a front derailleur, and then up the NDS side of the seattube. I used a zip tie to anchor it right at the base of the seattube above the bottom bracket. Worked pretty good.

mtbr member
    sir 9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show your SIR 9's!-img_2544.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Decided to put the dropper back on and give it another try. Applied some Slick Honey and operation is a bit smoother, but still slower than I like return. Gotta say a dropper on a fully rigid single speed is a lot of fun, feels like a giant BMX bike
    Show your SIR 9's!-img_0666.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Cable clamps

Do you still have the 3 Downtube cable clamps and the cable clamps that bolts to the bottom of the bottom bracket for the SIR9? I am also looking for the chainstay protector.
    Thank you
    tuned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGavin View Post
    So a couple months back I helped my brother in law purchase a moondust grey sir 9. Completely corrupted me. The stand over. The rider compartment. Good ol' 853. Ended up selling my touring rig, a moots ybb 29er and picking up a white sir9. Reminded me a lot of the Gunnar Rockhound 29er I parted with when I purchased the moots.

So far- way more tire clearance and the 142 makes it ultra stiff in the rear, which is nice when you elect to run BB7s. Those were my two beefs with the Mootsie (and Gunnar).

Haven't ridden it excessively to say whether it feels as supple as the Moots, nor would I expect it to- but the feeling of owning blue collar steel again...

So I built a soma wolverine with the xt 9 and then used the wheels, fork, stem bars and pretty much just scrounged the rest from the parts bin or friends to get the sir9 up and running.

The compatibility and interchangeability of the 240s hubs is truly remarkable.

Sir9 frame- medium
    Fox rlc 100mm fork
    Stans arch hoops w/ 240s hubs
    Moots post
    BB7 brake set
    Thomson 90mm stem

The rest is Johnny Stock and fill in wabi sabi. Will purchase an m8000 grouppo before the touring begins this season.

Pink grips were my daughter's and are just awesome.

mtbr member

Fender Action

After all the rain, fender'd up expecting lots of slop but it was great...

Show your SIR 9's!-img_9654.jpg

Show your SIR 9's!-fullsizerender-10-.jpg

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910