mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Should I get a new RIP9?

Or something else? I've been riding a 29er since 2006 and want to continue but I'm leaning toward a FS bike this time. I've been looking and debating for a long time and have heard good things about the new RIP9's.

It's probably a little more bike than I need but I don't race much anymore and would rather have a little extra than come up a bit short on travel and whatnot.

I've ridden a new Fuel EX 8 29" and a few others and they're nice. We're getting a Niner dealer in town any week now (supposedly) so I'm looking forward to trying a RIP finally. I'm also going to ride the usual Specialized suspects since they're nearby as well. Any pro's, cons, or things to look for or compare? I'd probably get a 2-3 star spec'd bike or equivalent if all goes as planned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    As i posted in the 29er forum, yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, I figured I'd ask both places since answers here might be a little biased. (which I'm normally guilty of in my posts)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones30 View Post
    Or something else? I've been riding a 29er since 2006 and want to continue but I'm leaning toward a FS bike this time. I've been looking and debating for a long time and have heard good things about the new RIP9's.

It's probably a little more bike than I need but I don't race much anymore and would rather have a little extra than come up a bit short on travel and whatnot.

I've ridden a new Fuel EX 8 29" and a few others and they're nice. We're getting a Niner dealer in town any week now (supposedly) so I'm looking forward to trying a RIP finally. I'm also going to ride the usual Specialized suspects since they're nearby as well. Any pro's, cons, or things to look for or compare? I'd probably get a 2-3 star spec'd bike or equivalent if all goes as planned.
    A new bike 2 or 3 start is a big investment. I would strongly encourage you to test ride several bikes in the $3000-$4000 price range. There is so much new thinking when it comes to FS bikes. Should the HTA be 70 degrees or 67? Do you need a low BB or will there be too many pedal strikes? How well does the platform need to pedal? How short should the stem be? How long does the top tube need to be for you to feel comfortable with a short or long stem? All of these questions need to be asked in the context of where and how you ride.

Here's a few general thoughts. How strong are you? 29ers have a large wheel circumference, going to a 2x setup will require stronger legs. If you go 27.5, the same gear ratio is easier to pedal. When I got on my Rip 9 (3 Star w/ a Pike), I found myself going faster. This speed is a double edge sword. To get the thrill you must go faster, going faster means greater risk. A less capable bike may bring the same thrill will less risk.

Bottom line, if you know you already enjoy 29er size bikes, you can't go wrong with a Rip. The bike is fast and very fun. I suspect the same can be said of any bike with a good reputation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I know I like 29er's, been on one for the last 8 years or so but it's a HT. I'm just wanting my next one to be FS and have been looking around for about a year or so.

I'm trying to ride as many as I can since I don't know all the answers to questions like you've asked. I mainly go by feel, good or bad.