Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    477

    Should I buy a Niner crash replacement frame?

    Hi all, unfortunately I recently found a crack in my Air 9 scandium chain stay. This is the first mtb of any brand I have ever "broken" so its a bit disappointing, but I am not here to ***** about it.

    Niner and their new Australian distributor have offered me a crash replacement frame (of my choice) at a significant discount off RRP.

    If I buy a new Niner frame I will be using it to upgrade one of my current rides. I am looking for opinions and feedback on my options or what you would do?

    Option 1, Jet 9 Carbon (hot tamale) to upgrade current Jet 9 alloy (vanilla). Considerations. I don't need the 142mm rear axle of the higher priced RDO model and I don't have any wheels to suit it. My current fork is a white Reba XX 20mm axle set to 100mm travel but can be reset to 120mm. Question is how much better would the Jet 9 carbon be with the extra 20mm travel front and rear than the Jet 9 alloy and as an alternative could I just set the fork to 120mm on the alloy to get some of the benefits?

    Option 2, One 9 RDO (atomic blue) to upgrade an alloy hard tail currently running 1x10 gearing and ridden extensively on my local trails. Considerations. If I am not riding in mountain goat (22 tooth granny ring) territory or racing once or twice a year (again need the full triple range) this would be my go to bike for hitting my local trails most weekends. Could consider 1x11 in the future but realistically current 1x10 setup with 34 front and 36/11 rear is handling my local trails just fine.

    Option 3, pass on the crash replacement option now and buy my next frame in the future at RRP.

    Option 4 ???

    I have considered the ROS 9 but for my type of XC riding it is not different enough from my current SIR 9 (currently set up SS rigid).

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,915
    Option 1/
    Buy a new Rip9 & give it to me.

    Option 1.5/
    Buy the Jet9 carbon & sell your Jet9 Alloy frame.

    The Jet9 carbon is just so much more alive than the old alloy Jet9, Soaks up the bumps much better & is just a heap more fun.

    The Jet9 Carbon will suit for many types of trails.

  3. #3
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Hi all, unfortunately I recently found a crack in my Air 9 scandium chain stay. This is the first mtb of any brand I have ever "broken" so its a bit disappointing, but I am not here to ***** about it.

    Niner and their new Australian distributor have offered me a crash replacement frame (of my choice) at a significant discount off RRP.
    Typical life span of a scandium XC hardtail frame - no matter who the company Salsa, Niner, etc... - is about 4, maybe 5 seasons before those cracks at welds start to show up. So don't worry, it's normal.

    I went through the same thing with a frame from Salsa which broke at the start of its 5th season and the crash replacement frame will begin its 5th season next year, so the clock is ticking on that one. At least Niner has the 5 year carbon warranty which would be nice if you do go for one of the carbon frames.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    If I buy a new Niner frame I will be using it to upgrade one of my current rides. I am looking for opinions and feedback on my options or what you would do?

    Option 1, Jet 9 Carbon (hot tamale) to upgrade current Jet 9 alloy (vanilla). Considerations. I don't need the 142mm rear axle of the higher priced RDO model and I don't have any wheels to suit it. My current fork is a white Reba XX 20mm axle set to 100mm travel but can be reset to 120mm. Question is how much better would the Jet 9 carbon be with the extra 20mm travel front and rear than the Jet 9 alloy and as an alternative could I just set the fork to 120mm on the alloy to get some of the benefits?
    Ah....that would not increase the cost of upgrading that bike because you won't have to start purchasing other expensive components due to the barriers to entry of the new standards. Is your current JET 9 alloy the older geometry that was designed for an 80mm-100mm fork with 80mm squish in the rear? I wouldn't put a 120mm fork on that bike as the balance of suspension would be way off between f/r and the slacker HT angle from the longer fork would be a handful to maneuver in the tight and twisty. The new JET 9 Carbon could be your new toy. Then you could sell your alloy frame on the used market.

    Muzz is right on the fun factor. If you ran the 120mm up front on the JET 9 carbon with the 100mm in the rear - that would be a much plusher/funner ride than your current alloy. Personally, I love squish. I also love my JET 9 alloy with 100mm up front and 80mm in the rear for XC racing. I have the alloy older RIP 9 with 120mm up front and I guess the equivalent of 113-115mm in the rear which would be similar to the JET 9 Carbon with a 120mm up front in terms of travel. No doubt about it, that extra bit of plush makes for a experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Option 2, One 9 RDO (atomic blue) to upgrade an alloy hard tail currently running 1x10 gearing and ridden extensively on my local trails. Considerations. If I am not riding in mountain goat (22 tooth granny ring) territory or racing once or twice a year (again need the full triple range) this would be my go to bike for hitting my local trails most weekends. Could consider 1x11 in the future but realistically current 1x10 setup with 34 front and 36/11 rear is handling my local trails just fine.
    The One 9 RDO has the rear spacing 142x12mm, so you'd be in the wheel upgrade cost dilemma. The Air 9 carbon and Air 9 RDO on the other hand, have the 135mm rear spacing so you would be good to go with your current wheels.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Option 3, pass on the crash replacement option now and buy my next frame in the future at RRP.
    Always worth considering if you feel you've gotten your money's worth out of the scandium frame. If you passed on it, there are always discounted and sale frames at the end of product cycles. At least you currently have a couple of bikes to ride, so you're not hurting too bad.

    Unfortunately, you and only you have to decide. "Upgrading a broken frame" costs a lot more than one initially thinks due to the change in standards (BB, wheels spacing, fork requirements, etc...). So factor all of that in and run a few numbers as to what each option would actually cost you out of pocket and decide if having that additional bike is something you really need and want via a new Air or One.

    Good luck...
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    137
    Jet 9 Carbon. Hands down

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Jet 9 Carbon. Hands down
    Thanks for the balanced and considered opinions guys. I am struggling to reply on an iPad at a holiday resort (poor me, first world problems).

    Muzz, your light hearted option 1 would be my option 4M. Actually I promised the new distributor I would ride the wheels off it and not resell it (give it away). Some of us still have ethics.

    Yes the Jet 9 alloy frame would be sold or kept in the family for when my youngest son outgrows his medium GF Paragon.

    Bruce, thanks for the opinion on the 80mm/120mm travel and HA issue. The upgrade costs for the J9C will be minimal. I have a 31.6 post from the Air9, I will use threaded adapters as I am still sticking to using my collection of external bearing crank sets. I will need a new front derailleur like the SRAM X0 for up to $100. My bike mechanic mate can pull the spacer back out of the Reba for less than $50. Rear wheel is 135mm.

    I hadn't noticed that the One 9 RDO was 142mm rear, I had probably assumed it was the same as the Air 9 RDO. That is probably a show stopper at this point.

    On the scandium issue. 4 to 5 seasons is a defacto indicator of fatigue cycles. As I am a bit of a collector (some would say hoarder) of mtb's I can assure you my frame has not done enough work that it should have fatigue cracking after 4 years of light occasional use. That is why my next Niner will need to come with a 5 year warranty. Enough said on that subject.

    Now I just have to convince my wife that I am actually saving $1000AU out of this deal.

  6. #6
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,870
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Now I just have to convince my wife that I am actually saving $1000AU out of this deal.
    When you get that one figured out, do me a favor and send me a transcript of the conversation?
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

  7. #7
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    When you get that one figured out, do me a favor and send me a transcript of the conversation?
    Ha ha , Me to.
    I have a new Rip9 Alloy that I have had for months that I have only been ridding when my wife is working over seas, That I haven't owned up to owning yet.

    I haven't worked out a good reason to tell her why I needed it, Already owning a Rip9 RDO I guess it is more about wanting it than needing it.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    When you get that one figured out, do me a favor and send me a transcript of the conversation?
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ha ha , Me to.
    I have a new Rip9 Alloy that I have had for months that I have only been ridding when my wife is working over seas, That I haven't owned up to owning yet.

    I haven't worked out a good reason to tell her why I needed it, Already owning a Rip9 RDO I guess it is more about wanting it than needing it.
    Gentlemen, I have resorted to bribery in the form of gold jewellery for Christmas.

    Muzz you naughty boy, I am not going to give you any comfort, with a quiver killer RIP RDO in the shed I am having trouble figuring out why you would ride the alloy RIP.

    My wife has actually been very good about my indulgences in an mtb collection, as long as we can afford it and its only upgrades and the total number of bikes does not increase. Having two sons who still ride has helped justify some of the upgrades.

    A bit more of the Air 9 scandium story. Because I had a few other mtb's to ride including a Banshee Paradox I had set the Air 9 up rigid with slicks for pavement riding. Then I got the opportunity to buy a second hand Lynskey Pro 29 helix titanium frame so the Air 9 had to go. The crack was only discovered when I went to sell it which is lucky as it could have otherwise failed at any time with catastrophic results.

    So I am about to order the Jet 9 Carbon in Hot Tamale which will hopefully be delivered by around late January or February next year. Together with the Lynskey and the Paradox I will be quite happy with the current collection for some time to come.

    I just found a spare set of new unused Candy 3 pedals in red in my garage, so about the only part I will need for the build will be the new low direct mount front derailleur. Some of my best gear is currently on the Lynskey build so that will be transferred to the Jet 9 as the premier bike in my collection.

    Build is looking like
    Reba XX 20mm TA fork set to 120mm travel (white) ex Jet 9
    Magura Marta SL brakes 180mm/160mm (red and white) ex Lynskey
    FSA 10 spd carbon cranks with 22/32/44 and ceramic bearings (black with red and white highlights) ex Lynskey
    Candy 3 pedals (red)
    X0 10 spd gripshifters, rear derailleur and front derailleur (black with red and white highlights) ex Lynskey
    Fizik Antares saddle (red and white) ex Lynskey
    Carbon seat post (unbranded) ex Air 9 with option to buy a new dropper post
    Stans Arch on XT 20mm TA with DT Swiss wheels ex Jet 9
    Truvativ stem and riser bars ex Jet 9
    Grips TBA either ODI rogue short version (black with red fittings) or cut down ESI silicon (red)

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBmoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    179
    Jet9 Carbon all the way and reset your fork to 120mm. You give up almost nothing on climbing and it makes the bike a little less twitchy on the downhill. Still not as stable as the RIP9, but we're splitting hairs here. I have the original Jet9 RDO (now known as the carbon Jet9) and an older RIP9. Still ride and love them both. Bought the Jet9 RDO with a set of carbon hoops - unbelievable how much more lively it feels. I have to pay more attention on the downhill than on the RIP9, but it climbs with much less effort.

    Sorry, can't provide any feedback on hardtails. My back hurts just thinking about them.

    Cheers,

    MTBmoose

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    477
    Thanks mtbmoose, I will try and place the order today for the Jet 9 carbon, assuming the distributor is answering emails on Christmas Eve.

    I agree with your thoughts on climbing, 20mm difference in the fork can easily be compensated for by rider technique and weight distribution. I find it is bikes designed with short chain stays, top tubes and stems that make are a handful on steep climbs.

  11. #11
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post

    Muzz you naughty boy, I am not going to give you any comfort, with a quiver killer RIP RDO in the shed I am having trouble figuring out why you would ride the alloy RIP.
    Yes the Rip9 RDO is awesome.

    Some times I want a fast bike for the ruff & sometimes I want to push myself with a great chance of the bike bouncing down the trail.

    So the bikes are setup very different, the RDO has 780mm flat bars & Rip9 Alloy 711 riser bars.

    Much heavier wheels & tires on the alloy.

    I like the way I have the RDO setup, but often hit the bars on things like guard rails on step narrow stairs with corners on them & trees.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes the Rip9 RDO is awesome.

    Some times I want a fast bike for the ruff & sometimes I want to push myself with a great chance of the bike bouncing down the trail.

    So the bikes are setup very different, the RDO has 780mm flat bars & Rip9 Alloy 711 riser bars.

    Much heavier wheels & tires on the alloy.

    I like the way I have the RDO setup, but often hit the bars on things like guard rails on step narrow stairs with corners on them & trees.
    Yeah I figured you were probably running a heavier set up on the alloy, hadn't guessed about the bars though.

    You remind me of one of my local riding mates who must have about 20 bikes so far. He just keeps making them fit in narrower niches. I mean who needs three fat bikes including a titanium one? But not even he has a niche for "ride only when wife is away".

  13. #13
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,915
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Yeah I figured you were probably running a heavier set up on the alloy, hadn't guessed about the bars though.

    You remind me of one of my local riding mates who must have about 20 bikes so far. He just keeps making them fit in narrower niches. I mean who needs three fat bikes including a titanium one? But not even he has a niche for "ride only when wife is away".
    I might have to sneak it under the tree & thank her like crazy for my new bike tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. Crash replacement frame. rear brake question
    By the_owl in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM
  2. Fox Crash Replacement
    By trailbike in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 09:23 PM
  3. Crash Replacement
    By thedrifter in forum Yeti
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM
  4. Crash Replacement
    By Bunyan in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM
  5. Crash Replacement
    By aaronhamill in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •