outclassed by his bike

New question here. Shift Cable Routing on SMALL Rip 9

Cable routing problem on Small RIP, for rear derailleur. I would love to follow JMH's lovely example in this thread, and go around the left side of the head tube, but it absolutely will not work on my Small RIP. The cable stop is only a cm or so south of the DT/TT junction, and with the tubes being so fat, there is no way the housing can cut that sharp a corner. I need a cable stop about 5cm lower and on TOP of the down tube, so that the housing can corkscrew over to the lower stop on the right side of the frame. See photos.

With the cable in the original (and apparently intended) location on the right of HT, the housing bears untenably hard on the top of the fork crown, right where it meets the HT. It was causing serious abrasion after just 2 or 3 rides, even with tape. Shortening it is not an option, because it would get yanked when the bar spins all the way left, and lengthening would make it worse. For now I'm experimenting with an ugly run just under the crown, but, as you can imagine, I really am not happy with that. Ideas? Should I just ignore the cable stops on the down tube altogether and run a full-length housing around the HT and all the way down to the BB area, with zip ties? Seems a shame.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I cable tied the 2 together on my lge Rip9 & then they didn't fall down it helped heaps & put a tie up by brake hose to.

COMBO - President
    I have the same issue with my small RIP, used clear mylar to protect the head tube and try to forget about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wrapped velcro (fuzzy side) around that cable (1inch or so) where it rubs the frame.