mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Setting Chain Length on a Niner (RIP 9 RDO Specifically)

Being new to a full suss bike, I had to research how to set chain length on my new RIP 9. Seem the rule of thumb is to fully compress the rear suspension when setting chain length.

CVA suspension is supposed to minimize chain growth. Assume there must be some.

Any suggestions on getting it right? Do I need to compress the rear shock?

I run 1x10. OK to set in the small ring?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just did this yesterday on my new RIP9 RDO. I let the air out of the shock, compressed it by leaning on the saddle, and measured the chain length around the chainring and big cog (I have 1x11). I then let the shock return back up and measured the chain length. The chain was indeed longer with the suspension compressed - I would say by a link or two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks.

Did you run the chain through the derailleur to measure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Thanks.

Did you run the chain through the derailleur to measure?

I did did not run it through the derailleur and added two links per the directions for my chain

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take a look at this clip on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ33HOy6thE

If the link does not work, go on youtube and search: Pro Tips: Chain Length and Rear Derailleur Setup. Its posted up by TheBikeCompany

The 2 link rule-of-thumb should work but the best way to get the length is to run it through the derailleur with the suspension compressed. The home made chain tool that the guy makes out an old spoke makes the job a snap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some info for anyone building up their RIP RDO. Compressing the rear suspension causes chain growth, so the chainstay length increases until the shock bottoms out. I measured the CS length at 462mm at full compression. This means that you need to add a full inch to your chain, if you are sizing it with the suspension uncompressed (using the Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method).

You can use the simple equation on the Park Tool website to calculate the correct length for your specific gearing: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing For the RIP RDO, use 18.19" for the chainstay length.

I'm going 1x10, with a 32 NW chainring and a One Up 42 sprocket in the cassette. I cut my chain at 56". With the rear suspension compressed and the chain in the 42 sprocket, the chain is snug, but doesn't seem overly tight. I think another inch might be too loose.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks OhioPT. Based on this I have two options. I have both a 28t and 30t for my front and 40T in the rear. I'll probably start early season with the 28t to give my older legs a chance to get in shape.

Based on the short Park Calculation, I have two chain measurements:
    30T: 56.88
    28T: 56.38

If I run the chain at 57" will I run into problems with the 28T ring?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think you'll be good. OneUp recommends a little more chain length than you would normally use anyways, since the derailleur tends to grow much longer to move the chain far enough to jump to the 40/42t cog. Besides, it much easier to remove a link later, than it is to add another link if you cut it too short. My setup with the 42t cog is pretty much as tight as you want it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    On second thought, my calculations for your gear sizes on a Rip RDO comes out to 54.88 for the 30/40 combo and 54.38 for the 28/40 combo. How did you get your numbers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bad math, that's how!!! I transcribed incorrectly. I had 38.38 not 36.38 for the Chainstay portion of the equation. Thanks for checking my work.

So.....I'd use a 55 length.