Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Arrrghhh!!!

Sell me on a Jet 9 RDO

I've read a gob of wonderful postings and reviews about the Jet 9 RDO and I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but something is holding me back. I've been riding a Turner 5-spot and so this is a big shift. I'm looking for something that will be better suited to xc/endurance racing and also manage the downhills without being too sketchy. The 5-spot is fast and flickable, and is great for downhills but the cockpit seems too tight for me (medium) and I want to feel more 'in' the bike versus being 'on' the bike.
    Can the Jet do it?
    Also, I'm 5'10" and am looking at the large. I was thinking a short (60mm) stem would keep me more stretched out while keeping the front end lively. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Josh
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

Always Learning
    Demo or test ride one. That will take care of all of your questions.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Demo or test ride one. That will take care of all of your questions.
    love your idea, but between not having a dealer within a couple hours, 20 degree weather, and 2 feet of snow I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity anytime soon. any other ideas?
    William James

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Test ride is the best option. I'm 5'10" with a med Jet9 RDO with a 100mm stem. It is a good set up size wise for me. I had a large Sir9 with a 90mm stem and didn't like the handling. So try and ride if you can that way you don't end up with a set up you are not happy with. A 60mm stem would be really short unless you are setting it up primarily for DH riding. If you want to do endurance XC a smaller frame and longer stem might be a better set up. I use mine as an all around trail bike and race XC and some longer endurance races on it. It is the fastest bike I have ever owned and also the FUNNEST to ride.

mtbr member
    I've got a turner spot, and am in the process of building up an Jet9 Rdo. When I get it done later this month Ill post a comparison if you can wait that long. But I'd tell you without riding it, that the niner is pure sex on wheels as far as craftsmanship goes.

mtbr member

Sell me on a Jet 9 RDO

Just reading around here helped me make my decision. I was looking for something fast that could bridge the gap between XC, and Trail here in the Midwest. Might do a couple races, and already have a 24 hour I'm signed up for. Got the RDO on Thurs, working on some final details of the build, and pretty excited to get on the trails!

Overall, I wanted the bike that produced the most fun for me. I've researched many brands, and Niner has been awesome for me. Excited for my newest Niner!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Jet9 Rdo is easily the most versatile bike I've ever owned. It can be a lighter weight XC build, or a more rugged trail bike, and everything in between. Right now, I'm running a 120mm Sid rct3 fork. When I first got the frame, I was using a fox 100mm fit rlc. Even with the 120mm stravel up front, it still feels very sharp, nimble,and race worthy. Some guys say it's twitchy with 100mm up front, but I never noticed that. Both travel options serve a different purpose, and wouldn't hesitate to try either.

You def should try to test ride one. Only because at 5'10 you could possibly go with medium or large. I actually think a medium is your best option. Niners sizing is slightly different then a lot of other companies. Everybike I've owned till the j9 rdo, I was in between a L and XL, on the niner I am not even towards the top of their size chart for a large. It's a perfect for me at 6'1.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6ft & ride a Lge RDO, They are an awesome bike.

They are a very good 1 bike does it all machine.

I have owned Giant, Anthems,Trances, Trance X, Reign's , XTC,

Epic

Tallboy

Air9

Jet9

Rip9

The Jet9 RDO is a rocket that climbs better & faster than anything I have ever Ridden& I is awesome on the downs as well if you have it speced with the larger travel fork.

Niner really got this bike right, It is hard to put into words just how good this bike is.

I have a friend that had not ridden my Jet9 RDO & brought a close out deal on a Rip9 Alloy(3 weeks ago ) & fitted it with XX1 group & I9 wheels & loved it.

As of this weekend his wife has pinched the Rip9 & is taking up MTBing & he has been ridding 1 of my Jet9 RDO's & I'm pretty sure he is going to buy a Jet9 RDO he likes it so much more.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Thanks all for the responses. I certainly love all the enthusiasm you share. It seems the closest dealer is over 3 hours away, so I won't be testing anything out for a while-- I guess I'll be best served by waiting, though I'll probably miss the deals on last year's frames by then...
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm a talentless hack so take this for what it's worth.

I am 5'10 (long arms) and had a medium 2006 5-spot which felt kinda cramped. Now I have a medium Jet RDO which feels just right. Niner top tubes are longer than Turners.

The Jet RDO with 120 mm fork feels pretty good on the descents - even better with more fork (not that I would ever do such a thing).

Steeper head angle and bigger wheels are going to feel significantly different than your 5-spot. Maybe you can catch a niner demo in your area...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    love your idea, but between not having a dealer within a couple hours, 20 degree weather, and 2 feet of snow I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity anytime soon. any other ideas?
    Unless you know somebody in your area that owns one and will let you toss your leg over it for a spin or check when the Niner Demo van will be within a 1/2 day's drive, then it might come down to buying on faith alone. And that's not a new concept as most of us probably purchased our Niners that way. I know I did for both my JET 9 and RIP 9.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have a Turner 5 Spot and Jet 9 RDO. Two different type bikes. I don't think one is better than the other but they are different. There are a ton of nice bikes out there. The Jet 9 RDO is a nice bike with a great sale going on now; however, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Giant and others also make great bikes. I don't think the Jet 9 RDO is heads and tails better than other dual link bikes out there. The sizing is weird for some and that may be a consideration for you.

I ride a medium Jet 9 RDO at 5"11" and it feels fine. I would like a smudge longer top tube. The large RDO felt lumber truck like to me. I ride a large 5 Spot and it feels spot on....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Now is the time to buy. You can get the nicest frame on the planet for $1,500 from many places

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    The Jet9 Rdo is easily the most versatile bike I've ever owned. It can be a lighter weight XC build, or a more rugged trail bike, and everything in between. Right now, I'm running a 120mm Sid rct3 fork. When I first got the frame, I was using a fox 100mm fit rlc. Even with the 120mm stravel up front, it still feels very sharp, nimble,and race worthy. Some guys say it's twitchy with 100mm up front, but I never noticed that. Both travel options serve a different purpose, and wouldn't hesitate to try either.

You def should try to test ride one. Only because at 5'10 you could possibly go with medium or large. I actually think a medium is your best option. Niners sizing is slightly different then a lot of other companies. Everybike I've owned till the j9 rdo, I was in between a L and XL, on the niner I am not even towards the top of their size chart for a large. It's a perfect for me at 6'1.

Sorry off topic but how do you like the Sid compared to the Fox in all aspects besides the travel?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

Sell me on a Jet 9 RDO

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Unless you know somebody in your area that owns one and will let you toss your leg over it for a spin or check when the Niner Demo van will be within a 1/2 day's drive, then it might come down to buying on faith alone. And that's not a new concept as most of us probably purchased our Niners that way. I know I did for both my JET 9 and RIP 9.
    I also bought my RIP9, and JET9 RDO on faith... I don't have a dealer for quite a ways either. Where are you located? I'd happily let you take mine for a spin. I'm in MN, on the St Paul side.

Arrrghhh!!!
    [QUOTE=five5;10152940] [QUOTE=Jaybo;10152539] [QUOTE=BruceBrown;10152401]
    [QUOTE=BigDweeb;10151678]

You guys are great! I went back and looked at the numbers some more and it definitely seems like the medium is a better fit in terms of reach and stack, despite having a shorter top-tube than I'd generally look for. Your feedback and comments are really helpful, and I might just take the leap. I wish I was closer to you, Five5, but I'm far too far away (Maine). I'm gonna make a couple of calls today and see what I can find.
    Anyone know where I can find a medium?
    William James

mtbr member

Sell me on a Jet 9 RDO

Yeah, Maine is a stretch! Haha!

I totally forgot.. I'm also 5'10", and on a medium for both my Rip, and Jet. It's perfect for me.

Competitive Cyclist I believe still has a couple black.

mtbr member
    bikebling.com still shows mediums in both white and black at the sale price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    bikebling.com still shows mediums in both white and black at the sale price.
    That was enough to sell me. At $1500 that is almost half price, what else do you want?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sorry off topic but how do you like the Sid compared to the Fox in all aspects besides the travel?
    Yes drz400sm, please do. If your DR-Z has those sweet conventional Showas you surely do appreciate good fork action!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Insighter, if you are in Maine, check out Bath Cycles. They are a niner dealer. Davis Carver is the man up there. He will tell you what size is best for you. Problem solved!

Arrrghhh!!!
    Thanks for the info-- Bath Cycles is great. I e-mailed them a while back and was told that they don't have demos. They could help with sizing, however...

Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Insighter, if you are in Maine, check out Bath Cycles. They are a niner dealer. Davis Carver is the man up there. He will tell you what size is best for you. Problem solved!
    William James

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I actually really like the Sid. I haven't had enough time on it to give an in depth comparison to the fox forks I've used, but in my opinion it feels equally as good so far. Once ive put another 100 miles or so on it, Ill have a better idea. So far, it feels equally as stiff and the rct3 damper works great. I like it better then Fox's CTD because all 3 Of the adjustments actually work. I felt like the descend setting on the fox was worthless. I kind of feel like fox took a step backwards with CTD, but many would say the same about RS solo air. I've never owned the prior dual air forks, but have ridden a few. I don't think they feel different, but can't argue with the fact you have limited tuning.

I've never really had issues with fox forks not using the full amount of travel when set properly. The only issue I've had with the Sid was when it was brand new out of the box. It must have needed a slight break in period because I couldn't for the life of me get any sag unless I dropped the psi down to 50. After one good ride, it loosened up a bit...but I'm sure this happens with any new fork. Never noticed it on any of my fox forks, but I also had bought 2 of them used, and the other 2 came as OE forks on new bikes. The main reason I chose the SID RCT3 was because I could run a 120mm travel fork without any weight penalty. IIRC it weighed about 150 grams less then a F29 RLC 100mm I had at the same time. And it also comes in black as an aftermarket option, can't say the same about the non-talas fox models. On that note, I sold a talas about 2 weeks after I bought it. The adjustable travel didn't do it for me. I'd rather have a dedicated fork for the travel options needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have owned Turners for over 10 yrs - Turner makes a great handling frame and the dw-link is one of the best designs available. Having demoed most of the carbon 29r frames available I haven't had much interest in the 29r's until demoing the j9 rdo. This is a standout without a discount price. At the sale price, it's the best deal to be had and I am surprised they are not all gone.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    I have owned Turners for over 10 yrs - Turner makes a great handling frame and the dw-link is one of the best designs available. Having demoed most of the carbon 29r frames available I haven't had much interest in the 29r's until demoing the j9 rdo. This is a standout without a discount price. At the sale price, it's the best deal to be had and I am surprised they are not all gone.
    Great info, thanks. I love the dw suspension and it took a bit to consider other designs, but all the positive reviews of the Niner CVA sold me. The sizing, as Jaybo mentioned, is different from others and it looks like I'll need a medium (versus a large in the Turner).
    William James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast