mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Searching for Jet 9 XX1 advice

My new to me aluminum Jet 9 is currently equipped with a standard X9 2x10 set-up with the only exception being an XO rear shifter. This is my first 29er, as well as, my first 2X10 group. The shifting is somewhat inconsistent and loud. Overall it seems rather sluggish compared to my old XT 26er.

Im looking for an upgrade in shifting action and noise reduction. My LBS guy recommends the XX1 package. Ive read most every article available but havent found much specific to the aluminum Jet 9. Also, Q-factor is a choice that I need to make if I decide on this group set.

Anyone running XX1 group on an aluminum Jet 9? If so, Id be interested to know about your experience with it. At 46 Im mostly into the fitness associated with XC riding. My local trails are fairly easy. Im doing about 10 miles in just under an hour and ride about 60 miles per week.

Thanks,

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm a fan of XX1 & think you would love it.

However it sounds more to me that your rear derailieur hanger may not be straight.

I have run 156Q on Allow Jet9's Alloy Rip9's & Jet9 RDO, The Rip9 RDO is the only Niner that is big enough that I had to run 168Q.

But it will still come down to how straight you feet stay when pedalling & what size MTB shoes you wear.

With 156 q with my size 46 shoes I have no problems with all but 1 of my sets of shoes that has wide heals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The hanger is straight. My LBS helped me make some adjustments and got it much better. Still, it's not what I'm looking for in regards to precision shifting and drive noise. It grinds occasionally when cranking up a tough hill if I'm not in the preferred chain line.

I need to figure out what's best on the q factor. I ran 30 miles of trail yesterday and paid attention to my heal clearance. Seems to be plenty of clearance on my current X9 crank. It's 170q I think.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    The hanger is straight. My LBS helped me make some adjustments and got it much better. Still, it's not what I'm looking for in regards to precision shifting and drive noise. It grinds occasionally when cranking up a tough hill if I'm not in the preferred chain line.

I need to figure out what's best on the q factor. I ran 30 miles of trail yesterday and paid attention to my heal clearance. Seems to be plenty of clearance on my current X9 crank. It's 170q I think.
    Maybe twist grip shifters so you can "trim" the FD and avoid the grinding?

On the other hand, I'm running 2 x 9 on my JET 9 with Rotor Q Rings using the X.0 Trigger shifters and I have no grinding or drive noise. Both rings can use all cogs in the rear without any grinding, although I rarely use the small ring up front and the 11T cog in the rear in combination.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 04-24-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Bruce, I'll keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Front derailleurs are always a compromise between nice shifting, noise, and safe granny gear throw.

Do you have shadow plus? Because that is awesome, but so is xx1, just that xx1 is not really a wet weather option......