mtbr member

ROS 9 and EBB Questions

I'm combing the market for a new 29er. The ROS 9 caught my attention because it just looks like a super fun and versatile bike. I'm a bit worried about the EBB though. I don't plan to run it single speed any time soon. But I've heard the horror stories about creaking and slipping from the Niner EBB. I'm selling a bike due to maintenance issues now and I don't want to build a new bike only to have a different set of problems.

Any thoughts, feelings, or input on the current version of the EBB? Is it possible to replace it with some kind of adapter to run a standard press fit BB?

Anything else I should know before I "Ride Over Stuff?"

I actually like "Roots Of Steel" better
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Seems like looking at other threads that EBB issues stopped about a year ago when they released the EBB2. The same EBB that comes on the ros9. I think they(niner) also say that it works with their cya system so you could put just about any bb in it. I really want a ros, I think that I would run it with the EBB2 and 1x11 so I could have adjustable cs length and bb height.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Seems like looking at other threads that EBB issues stopped about a year ago when they released the EBB2. The same EBB that comes on the ros9. I think they(niner) also say that it works with their cya system so you could put just about any bb in it. I really want a ros, I think that I would run it with the EBB2 and 1x11 so I could have adjustable cs length and bb height.
    Awesome, glad to hear it's sorted. I'm basically envisioning Niner's 4 star build, but with a Pike instead of the Revelation. I have a Revelation now and I'm itching for just a bit more.
    The cake is a lie.

greedy
    I'm running the EBB2 in my v1.1 Sir 9 frame as a singlespeed. I've put 20 or so rides on it and have not heard any noise or had any slippage. Never put the EBB1 in it, so I have nothing to compare it to. Installed it with Oatey's pipe thread compound.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    If your not planning on running singlespeed, why not just for the Kona Taro or Honzo, or better yet spend a few bills more and get a Carver 420 Ti.
    ArcGIS mapping pro, offering trail design and mapping support to non-profit organizations across Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had the older version of EBB and it was a pain, if you look at the design it was not the best to start off with.
    The version 2 on the other hand is a benchmark product, very cleverly designed and works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    If your not planning on running singlespeed, why not just for the Kona Taro or Honzo, or better yet spend a few bills more and get a Carver 420 Ti.
    Only reason is my LBS takes used bikes as trade-ins toward new ones. I'd be trading in a bike for some quick cash and Niner is one of the brands they carry. I know I'd probably get a few more bills if I sell it, but we'll see. I'm waiting to hear the offer.
    The cake is a lie.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I've used both the Biocentric and the Biocentric 2, and have never had an issue, slippage, creak, etc with either EBB. I wouldn't worry about it.

COTA member
    I have used BioCentric I and BioCentric II on my Niner Air 9 Carbon SS without any problem with either. Fantastic bike for both climbing and descending. Sub 20#.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the confirmation everyone. I'm totally at ease about the EBB.

Now I have a sizing question if anyone wants to chime in. I currently ride a medium 26 inch FS with a total reach (stem length included) of 15.75. If I pick up a medium Niner ROS 9 and spec it with a short 50mm stem, the reach would be approximately 15.7. Seems like a no-brainer, but according to the Niner chart, I should be on a small. I'm 5'7" (no shoes), so I'm on the fence.

I know if I go with a small, it should feel right. But I'm curious to try a longer TT with a short stem and zero offset post to give me room to move around a bit. Plus I'm thinking it will help the bike climb better since it has such short chainstays.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Going from a 26 to a 29, you will find that you will need to "throw the bike around". Without a doubt, you should run the smallest frame. If you ask 29er guys, and Niner guys in particular, you will find that almost everyone prefers a smaller frame.

Also, with the seat tube angled as it is, your seat will end up farther back that you may be used to (compared to the cranks). Taking that into consideration, you may think you need a longer stem after moving the seat forward, but you will find that the shorter bike is still easier to muscle around.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I had EBB problem on 2 frames. Switched to EBB II and no problems anymore. EBB II is good deal. I use Carbogrip, leftover from older style ebb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by have2ride2day View Post
    Installed it with Oatey's pipe thread compound.
    I used that stuff when I was replacing the valves on my hot water radiators, and thought this stuff must be effing awesome for BB's! Nice to see someone else has used it too. It is tenacious, doesn't wipe away.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.