mtbr member

Rode my first niner over the weekend.

As the headline reads I got to demo some niners over the weekend. I rode the jet9 rdo and the rip9rdo. The rip being closer to my stumpy fsr 29 that I currently ride. I liked both bikes a lot. Liked the rip better. But unforunatley they didn't have any wfo9 to ride. That's the bike that really has me lusting for one of these. My big question is how well does it climb (wfo) compared to the rip. I know the wfo has and is way more bike then I need in Indiana where I live but I don't care. If it's a blast to ride and makes me smile that's all that matters. Any info you guys can give would be great. I liked the other 2 bikes but if I'm giving up my stumpy to switch brands it's going to be for the wfo. So convince me!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok
    The WFO is the only FS Niner I haven't owned.

I didn't even look at the 1st Gen WfO because I just didn't IMO have the fork/s to get it in the zone I would have wanted.

I have a friend with the new WFO ( He also has owned & ridden all the Niners ) His last bike was a New Green Rip9 & when I got the Phone call after his 1st hard ride, He was buzzing.

We have both been very close in our thoughts of bikes & forks, I would have no problem buying a bike that he says is a must have even if I hadn't ridden it.

I will own a new WFO sometime soon.

Here is the thing,

The CVA pedals well,
    The New WFO frame isn't heavy for what it is,
    The 1x drive train saves weight,
    The 160mm pike works great & is not heavy,
    Carbon rims are light & stiff,

So you can build it & keep it true to what it is & not be peddling a heavy bike on the climbs.

So here is the thing, It pedals well ( Better than many bikes lighter than it ) So here is the thing forget about how it climbs, It Climbs great if you build it right.

What you need to base your buying on is, 1 of the things that the WFO does is make the trail feel easier so on the down hills you can push harder & there for get a greater buzz.

However it will also make the flat single track feel much easier, So if you don't have the power to push harder, You will just be left with riding a trail that feels to easy & less fun.

Being someone that has a stack of wheels & tires mounted up ready to go, I can tell you that on my Rip9 RDO that it is so much more alive on the flats with the Racing Ralph's on carbon rims than the Hans Dumpf's on Flow EX's as you would expect.

So it also comes down to your build to if you are going to still make it a lot of fun when not going down.

My go to wheel setup that I ride almost everywhere ( We have steep climbs but none of this over an hour stuff ) I run I9 Torch hubs & spokes, Carbon rims 1640 grams with valves & tape & 2.3 Minion DHR II on the back 846 grams & 2.3 Minion DHF on the front 924 grams.

These tire roll so much better than I thought they would, Sure the are not light but man do they bite hard & a very good trade off for me given were I ride.

So how much bike do you need ?

Do you really get that much air or are you wanting a piggy back shock & shorter Chain stays.

Or something that just grips like hell.

mtbr member
    I had a chance to demo a rip 9 this weekend also and was surprised by how well it handled. I had never felt like by my bike was a pig until I rode the rip 9.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The Jet9 RDO is the best climber of the bunch. Descending, the Rip takes the cake...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I rode a jet also and went with a medium which was way to small for me and the way the bike was setup was really stiff so I didn't get a good ride on it.

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member

The rip and jet are great bikes but I don't think the rip has enough travel for me. I used up every bit of it and didn't ride it as aggressive as I do my stumpy. I also have a ss that I ride a lot also. So my legs are good to go for long climbs. I just need to get some saddle time on a wfo but with out riding one I can see this being my next bike purchase. 150 mm travel is not needed where I usually ride but the fun factor a bike like that can bring is what I'm really shooting for.

mtbr member

Re: Rode my first niner over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    The rip and jet are great bikes but I don't think the rip has enough travel for me. I used up every bit of it and didn't ride it as aggressive as I do my stumpy. I also have a ss that I ride a lot also. So my legs are good to go for long climbs. I just need to get some saddle time on a wfo but with out riding one I can see this being my next bike purchase. 150 mm travel is not needed where I usually ride but the fun factor a bike like that can bring is what I'm really shooting for.

I ride in indy also so if you get to ride a wfo or buy one I'd be interested in knowing what it's like also. been looking into a bigger travel bike myself

2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have nowhere near the skill set for techy trails and big downhills, but I do know that my RIP9 blows away the Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp that it replaced. Yeah, it's way more bike than I need, just as you say the WFO will be for you, but I figure for now it'll help keep me out of trouble while I develop the skills to push the envelope with it a bit more.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I have nowhere near the skill set for techy trails and big downhills, but I do know that my RIP9 blows away the Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp that it replaced. Yeah, it's way more bike than I need, just as you say the WFO will be for you, but I figure for now it'll help keep me out of trouble while I develop the skills to push the envelope with it a bit more.

I have to disagree with on the rip blowing my stumpy away. But that's just my opinion. That's also one reason why I want to ride a wfo. I pound the **** out of my stumpy. And would like more travel for bigger jumps and drops. That and the wfo just plain looks bad ass !!!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by lweilenman View Post
    I ride in indy also so if you get to ride a wfo or buy one I'd be interested in knowing what it's like also. been looking into a bigger travel bike myself

Man where do you ride usually? I have yet to have seen a horse thief on the trails that I ride. I ride everywhere from Indy to Versailles and bcsp vbr. I think a wfo would just be bad ass at vbr on the old school downhills there.

mtbr member
    all over indy and bcsp haven't been to vbr or versailles.
    2013 Salsa Horsethief 3

mtbr member

You need to check Versailles. If you like ungroomed old school trail vbr and gnawbone camp are awesome.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have to disagree with on the rip blowing my stumpy away. But that's just my opinion. That's also one reason why I want to ride a wfo. I pound the **** out of my stumpy. And would like more travel for bigger jumps and drops. That and the wfo just plain looks bad ass !!!

What was the spec of the Rip9 you rode ?

The Rip9 with a 140mm Pike up front would eat the Rip9 with 130mm Revelation.

I have ridden both & the Rip9 with the 140mm Pike is so much better it doesn't even feel like the same bike.

mtbr member

The rip I rode had the 130 rev on it in rdo trim with the xx1. Nice bike but my stumpy with 140 kashima talus would eat it for breakfast. With that fork. Plus it had the American Classic rims and hubs. That were very disappointing. The rep told me not to judge the bike by the wheel set. So I overlooked it the best I
    Could. But the bike begged for more fork.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I had a 130mm Rev on my Rip9 RDO & when I fitted the pike man did it lift the bike, My friend had a 140mm Rev on his Rip9 RDO & did 1 ride on my bike & ordered a pike as soon as he got home.

It is that much better on the Rip9

The rip I rode had the 130 rev on it in rdo trim with the xx1. Nice bike but my stumpy with 140 kashima talus would eat it for breakfast. With that fork. Plus it had the American Classic rims and hubs. That were very disappointing. The rep told me not to judge the bike by the wheel set. So I overlooked it the best I
    Could. But the bike begged for more fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I had a 130mm Rev on my Rip9 RDO & when I fitted the pike man did it lift the bike, My friend had a 140mm Rev on his Rip9 RDO & did 1 ride on my bike & ordered a pike as soon as he got home.

It is that much better on the Rip9

I took MUZZANIC advice on the pike and love it. Also went with the Carbon wheels. I understand your wanting a bike that is over built for your trails. Most all my riding buddies have 29er carbon XC race bikes and think I am handicapped on climbs, they are wrong. I really think wheels make a bike after spending the money for carbons. It came down to I simply like the ride of a " FS trail bike", I tried to like a 29er HT race bike but after a couple demo's I could not do it. I have to agree with RUFUS about the Stumpy, IMO it handles tight singletrack like a dump truck (please take no offence, its just not for me).

The RIP with a 140 pike and better wheels can do a lot with giving up very little.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't know about dump truck, but as for mine, while I won't say the steering was slow, the steering just felt heavy compared to my RIP. I was always understeering turns and going off the trail in the twisty stuff. Not to mention, the front wheel always seemed to "hunt" left and right with every pedal stroke, a feature that became even more apparent when climbing. I got used to it, and it got better when I moved the spacers from under the stem to on top, but it never seemed to have the immediate response, and the "go where you point it" feel that the RIP has.

I chalked a lot of that feeling up to it being the slackest angle bike that I've ever owned, but my RIP with the 140mm Pike is supposed to be the same angle, and it exhibits none of that feeling. The Stumpy felt like a big bike while riding the twisty stuff, but the RIP doesn't feel feel like as big a bike, even though it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I should put out a disclaimer about the dump truck statement. At that time my regular ride was a 2011 trek fuel ex8 26".....to be fair. Still my trek fuel 29er ( yes I had 2 trek fuel bikes) and the rip both handle better IMO.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon