mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rip's on ebay, broken frames, chainring damage....

I know people love the frame but I'm beginning to wonder what's up with Niner, lot's of broken frames, jets, rips. etc...( I saw 2 at my LBS), 44t chainring problems, eccentric bb issues, 09 frames for sale on ebay from people who didn't like them or were misfit. Easily scratched anodizing. Generic looking ne w09 rip, looks like a trance or my old s-works. Starting to beome more psyched that I looked elsewhere for a frame!

err, 27.5+
    Yeah, frames break. Quality control is always an issue. I think the difference is that Niner is a company that came up through the internet and word of mouth. As such the majority of people owning them probably are quite comfortable posting any issue they have. On the other hand the majority of Trek, Specialized, Giant, and Gary Fisher owners are not mtb addicts. When they have an issue they take it back to the shop. So I think there is a lot less visibility of the scale of problems in those mfgs.

At any rate, welcome to MTBR no matter what you ride
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

banned
    if you wanna see real problems with a bike, look at the superfly. This has to be the most fragile mountain bike frame of all time. As the above poster stated, frames break if you ride them. I have owned pretty much everything out there and the Jet and Rip are the best climbing and descending full suspension bikes I have ever thrown a leg over. The funny thing is that I don't even own a Niner anymore but I will as soon as I find a good deal on a MCR.

Long story short, the guys at Niner are mountain bikers, not a corporate machine.

Space Ghost
    I am sure for every negative there are quite a few positives. I am on record as saying I think Giant had more to do with the '09 RIP than them being built in a Giant factory (assumption on my part). However, I think that is a GREAT thing. I had a Reign and a Trance X and believe the Maestro suspension is one of the best available regardless of $$. I aggressively ride my RIP 2-3/wk and am very pleased with the bike. Mine doesn't creak or have any annoying niggles. Thought the fit and finish is not up to Turner's quality, it is only a tiny step below. My Anodized Milk Dud has held up very well, when you can actually see the paint through the mud and dirt. Anyway, for the $, I believe the RIP is the most bang for your buck in FS Aggresive 29er's.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Closekids.com
    I'm so tired of cracked/broken frame threads. For the love of pete...
    If a company sells twice as many niners as another company, and the frames break at the same rate, you will hear 2x complaining from the people who bought the most popular bikes!

There is no way to compare breakage rates unless you know sales numbers AND total breakage numbers. So it is a waste of everyone's time!

Underskilled
    Booming, this is a forum, this is not a place for rational considered thought.

Can you please keep your posts to knee-jerk emotional reactions based on specious logic and lack of factual analysis.

mtbr member
    I'm going to have to agree with coach. I do have to say it's somewhat of a blessing that "if" you do have a problem with your Niner (I own a Jet, love it, and am very excited about a RIP being delivered tomorrow) that when you call for a warranty you actually get a human answering the phone. I've got a lot of respect for a company that realizes the community on these forums and actually participates. Speaks volumes for customer care.

Frames break. But so does almost everything else in life. It's all about how it gets put back together that matters IMO.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Don't let the screen door hit your rear wheel on the way out!
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    I'm so tired of cracked/broken frame threads. For the love of pete...
    If a company sells twice as many niners as another company, and the frames break at the same rate, you will hear 2x complaining from the people who bought the most popular bikes!

There is no way to compare breakage rates unless you know sales numbers AND total breakage numbers. So it is a waste of everyone's time!
    Yep, Niner seems to sell a lot of frames in this segment, plus it appears that the customers are internet savvy and have regular participation in the internet. It's likely no coincidence, since Niner used word of mouth on the internet quite well to get themselves out there.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't have a lot of failures. One never knows. They are really doing something about it, so their response is what counts. If after a few years they can't fix the rep, then maybe there is a problem, or the problem is that they aren't addressing shortcomings. We won't know in the short term, but we need more data over a longer time. Hell, look at EW. They have some ten years or more of failing frame history and "odd" business practices and ethics. I hardly see Niner in this league so far. Look at Crank. We're hardly there yet. If in a year or two we're hearing the same thing, then perhaps then things need to change. These things come in waves, and this is another one.

mtbr member
    Niner has treated me right and so has my LBS when it came to warranty/build issues.
    My LBS took great care and consideration on the build and tweaking after the fact.
    I cant complain about Niners customer service...its been top notch.

Saucy Size
    Here's a fact for you internet virgins: It's way more likely someone is gonna spend their time and energy complaining than they are applauding. For every butt-hurt owner who feels like they're owed something because their precious boutique frame broke, there are literally thousands of owners who haven't broken their frame, will never break their frame, and simply have no motivation to post up a thread that reads, basically, "Everything's cool here, nothing to see, move along."

Personally I'd hate to be a manufacturer in this day and age.

p.

mtbr member
    Great Point!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

My Jet is just wonderful...

Nic

MTB B'dos
    Yeah, I mean really, don't it just suck when people from all over the world can easily communicate with one another, reporting problems with products and thereby keeping manufacturers a little more honest. Boy yeah it must suck to be a manufacturer these days BUT since this is a CONSUMER REVIEW web site where this is what it was "supposedly" designed for

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Here's a fact for you internet virgins: It's way more likely someone is gonna spend their time and energy complaining than they are applauding. For every butt-hurt owner who feels like they're owed something because their precious boutique frame broke, there are literally thousands of owners who haven't broken their frame, will never break their frame, and simply have no motivation to post up a thread that reads, basically, "Everything's cool here, nothing to see, move along."

p.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Yeah, I mean really, don't it just suck when people from all over the world can easily communicate with one another, reporting problems with products and thereby keeping manufacturers a little more honest. Boy yeah it must suck to be a manufacturer these days BUT since this is a CONSUMER REVIEW web site where this is what it was "supposedly" designed for
    Ah! You'd be talking about the CONSUMER REVIEW section of the site, where there are 36 reviews of the 2009 RIP9 with an average rating of 4.83.

I can see how you'd be confused by the forum functionality at mtbr.com.

I don't know about you, but I've never viewed the manufacturer forums as my personal complaint box. OTOH it is in fact pretty awesome when people from all over the world can easily communicate with one another, resolving problems with products and thereby helping manufacturers continue to improve their products.

p.

mtbr member
    haven't broken their frame, will never break their frame, and simply have no motivation to post up a thread that reads, basically, "Everything's cool here, nothing to see, move along."
    Well I do NOW...

Everything's cool here, nothing to see, move along!

mtbr member
    Ah! You'd be talking about the CONSUMER REVIEW section of the site, where there are 36 reviews of the 2009 RIP9 with an average rating of 4.83.

I can see how you'd be confused by the forum functionality at mtbr.com.

I don't know about you, but I've never viewed the manufacturer forums as my personal complaint box. OTOH it is in fact pretty awesome when people from all over the world can easily communicate with one another, resolving problems with products and thereby helping manufacturers continue to improve their products.

p.
    Oh Snap!
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    I must say, after reading all this hoop-lah about the '09 RIP. I am soooooooooooooooooo glad I bought an '08 closeout. I am still loving this bike every day. I have riddent the crap out of it, I am a big guy, and don't really see a need for stiffining up the frame IMHO. I have ventured into more technical terrain than I ever thought I would ride, and am succeeding at riding it pretty damn well. Thank You NINER.

Nathan
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Saucy Size
    Right now my dream ride is a 2009 RIP9 with 150mm rear Maxle, a 120-140mm TA fork with a tapered steertube, and mayyyyybe Kings laced to Gordo rims (although I have zero complaints about the Flows -- just wish they were a bit wider).

I'll be lucky if I can get into this by 2010, unfortunately. :-/

p.

p.s. oh and tang!

Hud
    Singletrack minded

p.
    Nice. My Sir9's BB doesn't creak or move so.... "Everything's cool here, nothing to see, move along."
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Right now my dream ride is a 2009 RIP9 with 150mm rear Maxle, a 120-140mm TA fork with a tapered steertube, and mayyyyybe Kings laced to Gordo rims (although I have zero complaints about the Flows -- just wish they were a bit wider).

I'll be lucky if I can get into this by 2010, unfortunately. :-/

p.

p.s. oh and tang!

No need to dream... what I ride now, is what I want to be on. Did about 4 hours in the saddle of riding time today, some technical, some chunk, and the more miles I put on my RIP, the more I appreciate what Niner designed and built with their V1's. Not suffering from upgradeitis as much as contemplating a hard tail 29'er for some of the smoother fire roads around here where the single track is more XC. It's a bike, I put a lot of time and miles on it. Rarely does the frame flex bother me, the through axles front and rear helped a lot with a solution for that.

Members who have read this thread: 0