Carbon & Ti rule

Rip9 tyre pressures please ??

Well up until now I have been running the same Tyres ( Ignitors 2.1 ) at 30lb pressure, Stans Flow rims on the Rip9 & on my Jet9 so I can do a good back to back & now happy with that.

Now its time to play, Lynx has said to try the Ardent on the front so I have decided to give that a go for my 5 hour ride on Sunday

But would like to know who is running what ?

I will want
    Body weight & hight.
    Type & size of tyre.
    Pressure.
    Rim type.
    Tubed or tubeless.
    What riding you do.

I'm 6ft 177 lb ride a large frame, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 tyres 30 lb tubeless Stans Flow Rims & most rides have lots of XC & very fast down hill I don't like big air but love fast ruff trails & I'm brave I like the 44 tooth chain ring on my bike & I use it
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Experiment

IMO, the only way you can find the psi sweet spot is to experiment with different pressures until it feels right.

Closekids.com
    I weigh 186 and ride a medium frame with Nevegal on the front and Bonty Jones on the back, both at 24 (or as close as I can to it) psi.

Bodhisattva
    Currently running an Ardent in the rear, Specialized Captain Control 2.2" up front. Both around 25psi.

I run Ignitors on my singlespeeds but I think there are better choices for a RIP.

Me:
    160 lbs
    Ride chunky rocky mtn stuff
    rim: Flows tubeless

I've also liked Rampages F & R and Ardents F & R (with the rear Ardent mounted in reverse for a bit more grip).

I plan on trying the Captains front & rear eventually.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    180lbs nekkid

Ontario singletrack - rocky/rooty/steep

Rampages F & R, 28psi front and 32 rear more or less.

Any lower I get pinch flats.

/edit - I do a bunch of drops, anything up to about 30" to flat and whatever to transitions.
    Last edited by pinkheadedbug; 08-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

banned
    Sep 2007
    225 pounds

27 front on a Rampage 2.35 with tube
    34 rear on a CST Cabellero 2.25 with tube.

I ride everything, roots, rocks, 18"- 24" drops, Ryhno Lites on Hadley hubs. Zero problems in 2000+ miles.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 08-21-2009 at 10:24 PM.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I am coming up on 2 yrs now on my RIP and have tried a bunch of tire and psi combos. I agree with the prior statement that you'll need to experiment. That being said, what I like currently is a Spec Captain Control 2.0 out back. It grips nice and rolls fast. It also seems big for a 2.0, but I still keep it at 30 to 32 psi. Up front I currently have an Ignitor 2.1 which I run around 27 to 28 psi.

I also like the Rampage up front, or a Nevegal, for a slower but grippy setup. I usually run those more like 26 to 27 psi.

I also ran a Continental tire up front, can't remember the name of the tire but it was 1.5 yrs ago and their only 29er tire at the time I think. Anyways, never found a pressure I liked that tire at, probably better suited to damper conditions and not the dry decomposed granite and loose over hard stuff in SoCal.

My next tire up front will be another Spec Captain or something similar based on the good experience with the one out back.

I am 180lbs and still running tubes

mtbr member
    160 lbs bare. 5'6.

Run Spec Captains 2.0 now F&R. Both around 30-32 psi.

Tubeless on Stan's Flows.

Rocky Mountains where I reside...

MTB B'dos
    As said Muzzanic, it's all down to personal preference and your local terrain. For me I've no real need to run anything more agressive than Ignitors down here, but for a very few, short trails/trail sections and then it's overkill most everywhere else.

Right now I'm running Ignitors F & R tubeless on Flows and loving them, HOWEVER, I have gone at them with a clippers and trimmed some knobs to open up the tread patern to make them more wet/mud friendly.

What I have used down here and liked is Crossmark REAR/Ignitor FRONT, Ignitor F & R. I've also ridden the Rampage on the front and while I didn't have a problem with it, it just made life a little too easy on our trails and added a bit of weight that isn't need with all the roads we have to ride to get to and between trails.

Now while in CO my tyre choice change for obvious reasons, I swapped a Rampage to the FRONT and kept the Crossmark on the rear, but then decided I wanted even more and went Rampage REAR/Nevegal FRONT and that really worked quite well there. What I think I will run next visit to CO is Ardent REAR/Rampage front, which I think will give very decent traction on most trails, yet roll very fast.

Pressure wise I run about 28-32 PSI REAR and 25-28 PSI FRONT depending on the tyre and trail, sometimes even a bit higher dpending on if there's a lot of non tech and fireroad tyre stuff - I'll go as high as 40 PSI tubeless if there's a load of road/fireroad in my ride and then if need be drop pressures on the trail. Oh and FYI 6'2.25", about 180-185lbs geared to ride on an '08 RIP9.

Let us know how you like or don't like the Ardent up front and remember that tyre PSI will play a HUGE role in how the tyre feels and performs - especially with the Ardent.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Closekids.com
    Good thread. I'm starting to think about bumping up my pressure by about 5 psi per tire. Will that help with speed over non tech stuff?

Lynx, where do you live?

MTB B'dos
    As the TAG uner my username says, Barbados in the West Indies. Our conditions down here mainly consist of coral stone, clay and grass trails. We've got a few decent tech trails (not much by CO standards) but fun, slow tech with a nice view of the Atlantic ocean. So when I visit CO it's like a whole new ball game for me and I have to get used to the chunk they have, BUT, it has improved my riding every time I've visited since I find I try more tech/steeper stuff and it increases my confidence - helps having some very good guys to ride with who can inspire you - but I also know my limits and do just stand and watch in awe some times

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Good thread. I'm starting to think about bumping up my pressure by about 5 psi per tire. Will that help with speed over non tech stuff?

Lynx, where do you live?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0