Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

412K views 1K replies 325 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
Niner RIP9 Setup Thread

RIP9 owners, here's your chance to share your setup and help other riders that are researching sizing and spec'ing of RIP9s. This thread should be used for others to browse frame size, rider height/inseam/weight, riding terrain, and stem/seatpost/bar setups most of all. If you're looking for detailed discussion of travel issues, etc you may want to check the RIP 9 Fine Tuning and Development Thread.

Let's keep this thread clean, with specific questions taken outside via PMs. Feel free to add any extra information, but do your best to keep the same order. And, if possible, try to post a pic taken side-on w/ drivetrain showing. Bonus points for an extra ride shot, especially if taken while airborne :thumbsup:.

#927 ·
Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.

#933 ·
I built up my new RIP 9 RDO over the weekend (ridden it twice and oh what a monster!) and have one minor gripe. The rectangular plug that is supposed to seal the downtube where the rear der cable enters is loose and slides out. Anyone have a solution for that or should I contact the merchant? It doesnt look like the plug is misformed, so my guess is that the rectangular slot in the downtube is ever so slightly too wide and so the plug doesnt click in. I guess I could wrap the plug with teflon tape until the fit was a bit tighter... but I am expecting perfection here ;-)

#936 ·
Here is a pic of my new RIP 9 RDO with a few additional tweaks, including a 28t front chainring and a new 185mm rear rotor for the XO trail brakes. If you have ever ridden Dunn Rd in Palm Springs, you know why I needed those;-)
Now that I have spent a few days on the trails here, I can only say, this bike climbs as well as any hardtail I've owned and just crushes the downhills here. To anyone on the fence, this is a great bike.
And for comparison sake, my brother in law was ripping it up on a KHS 7500 650b. It's an insane bike, there were a few places where the niner could cruise through with a bit more ease, but overall it was a pretty worthy duel.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

#940 ·
Some time has Passed and I'm absolutley loving the RIP9

Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff

Attachments

#941 ·
Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?

#947 ·
I would think medium as well. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam and I had to move my seat forward and change from a 50 to 70mm stem (as compared to my 2012 alloy RIP9) to keep the weight on the front end for the long climbs.

Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

#948 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!

#959 ·
Nice

I'm thinking mine comes in around 28 with dropper

Built mine up a week or so ago, but too much IPA and I ended up with a misscut steer and poorly sealing tires. Oops...I'll get one up next week.

• Rip 9 RDO (Small)
  • Pike 140
  • XT 1x10 everything except SRAM X9 Crank & 30t Wolf Tooth DM Ring, RAD Cage & ONeUp 42T
  • Thomson 70mm stem(May go to 80mm as it feels cramped), 730mm Carbon Bar
  • KS Lev 125mm post
  • Fizik Gobi
  • I9/WTB Kom i23 wheels
  • Spesh Puratory 2.3/Ground Control 2.3

#960 ·
Is there any visible way to ensure that my black frame has the new carbon compaction tech? The white it's obvious but the black paint scheme stayed the same. Is there any year info anywhere on the bike? This is the inside of my frame:

Colorfulness Close-up Macro photography Stock photography

Looks pretty well compacted I guess, I imagine I got the new one but just wanted to make sure.

#961 ·
Is there any visible way to ensure that my black frame has the new carbon compaction tech? The white it's obvious but the black paint scheme stayed the same. Is there any year info anywhere on the bike? This is the inside of my frame:

View attachment 979237

Looks pretty well compacted I guess, I imagine I got the new one but just wanted to make sure.
You can tell by the serial number label; the new frames have the new style label with niner logo, the barcode, and the serial number w/ black background.

#963 ·
Got the custom rock protection plate from you cytoe. Saw it and was perplexed by the asymmetrical dimple in it and then realized that it's actually in the perfect position due to the pivot being shifted away from the drivetrain side. Fantastic fit and finish, well thought out pad positions, the part that wraps under is the exact right curve, and it's just overall a great product, thanks! Highly recommended!

#967 ·
Yeah, I know. I dread snipping them, what a PITA it is to bleed these SRAM brakes, and the rockshock reverb isnt a piece of cake either. Sending it in to the shop to have them do it this week while it rains a bunch this week...

And mtnfiend, sweet build, congrats on getting it together and amen on the 28T!!

#966 ·
Finally posting pics of my '14 RIP9 ROD. Thanks for all the input on this and other threads. I leaned a lot and poured that into my build. I'm coming from an '08 Titus Racer X 29. I loved the Titus but it's amazing how far 29er suspension has come since then.

I purchased from Backcountry via Active Junkie. I swapped to carbon bars and 28T ring before shipping. After the bike arrived I returned a bunch of parts as well. It was great to return items for a refund rather than having to sell on my own. The Active Junkie rebate paid for my Light Bicycle 35mm carbon wheels!

Beyond stock I am running the following:
- Light Bicycle 35mm carbon rims, Hope front, King rear, DT Revolution, brass nipples
- Thomson post
- WTB Silverado saddle
- Syntace F110 60mm stem
- 3TT Exsero Team carbon bar
- Sram XO GripShift
- RedMonkey Karv 6.5mm grips
- Bar Fly 3.0 computer mount

I'm loving this bike. It took a few rides to dial in the suspension but now feels pretty darn good. The rear still feels a little soft on paved/fireroad climbs coming from the Titus but it's amazing climbing technical singletrack and flies down everything I've ridden thus far. The carbon rims have made a big improvement too.

From yesterday's 23 mile 6k day:

#969 ·
Yeah the 28T is the perfect setup for me given the types of rides I do. That pic was taken at the top of an approximately 100-150yd section of >15% trail. I needed every bit of 28x42.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.