Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

412K views 1K replies 325 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
Niner RIP9 Setup Thread

RIP9 owners, here's your chance to share your setup and help other riders that are researching sizing and spec'ing of RIP9s. This thread should be used for others to browse frame size, rider height/inseam/weight, riding terrain, and stem/seatpost/bar setups most of all. If you're looking for detailed discussion of travel issues, etc you may want to check the RIP 9 Fine Tuning and Development Thread.

Let's keep this thread clean, with specific questions taken outside via PMs. Feel free to add any extra information, but do your best to keep the same order. And, if possible, try to post a pic taken side-on w/ drivetrain showing. Bonus points for an extra ride shot, especially if taken while airborne :thumbsup:.

#914 ·
Hey fellow RIPpers.. I have protective film on my rub points around my frame but want to add some protection in other areas that have received some minor scratches. I don't plan on selling my bike ever so this isn't just for cosmetics, just want to prevent damage/wear (have some scratches from rocks getting between my rear disc and frame for example).

I know some of you (Muzz) cover your entire bikes so was wondering if you could tell me exactly what you use?

Would this work?

XPEL Clear Universal Door Sill Guard (60" x 2.75") Paint Protection Film Kit:Amazon:Automotive

Thanks!

#920 ·
I am note sure what the alloy comes with for protection but I did ask my dealer to cover the frame and cable rub spots with helicopter tape. They did get most all the spots but I did add a few more spots later. I guess I am OCD about that stuff

#922 ·
I should be getting the 3M tape next week in the mail.. I will post up some before and after pics of the spots where I am seeing the need for it. I already have cable protectors in spots and some tape in cable rub spots but am going to redo some of that as well. The biggest area where I am seeing rock scratches is in the rear between the frame and tire, nothing too concerning though, I just want to protect it. I am anal about cleaning my bikes... partly because I enjoy listening to music with some beers out in the garage while tinkering with my bikes.

#924 ·
Add me to the growing list of folks jumping at the RIP RDO deals out there. Got in on the CC 10% off w components + Active Junky cash back for a killer deal.

On big question, I am buying a 140mm travel Pike for the front and see there is a 51mm offset option or one that mentions no offset. Which do I need and what does this offset do?

#925 ·
I like the 46mm off set pike ( more stable )

the 51 off set makes the bike turn a little faster ( twitchier ) & wonder a little more on the climbs.

I have Rip9's with both a 46 & 51 & you can't go to far wrong with either, But I do like the 46 more.

#927 ·
Count me in the list of folks taking advantage of a custom build on a new RIP RDO. I'm going XX1 with a 130mm Pike with 46mm offset, Arch EX wheels, 180mm rotors, and 9020 XTR brakes, and I am going to transfer over my Thompson dropper and Ergon grips / saddle from the 2012 RIP9. I'll also set up my Roval Carbon wheels on it so I have a second set for different tires / conditions. I usually leave my existing Arch EX wheels set up for road rides when the weather is not cooperating and will probably do the same here.

#933 ·
I built up my new RIP 9 RDO over the weekend (ridden it twice and oh what a monster!) and have one minor gripe. The rectangular plug that is supposed to seal the downtube where the rear der cable enters is loose and slides out. Anyone have a solution for that or should I contact the merchant? It doesnt look like the plug is misformed, so my guess is that the rectangular slot in the downtube is ever so slightly too wide and so the plug doesnt click in. I guess I could wrap the plug with teflon tape until the fit was a bit tighter... but I am expecting perfection here ;-)

#936 ·
Here is a pic of my new RIP 9 RDO with a few additional tweaks, including a 28t front chainring and a new 185mm rear rotor for the XO trail brakes. If you have ever ridden Dunn Rd in Palm Springs, you know why I needed those;-)
Now that I have spent a few days on the trails here, I can only say, this bike climbs as well as any hardtail I've owned and just crushes the downhills here. To anyone on the fence, this is a great bike.
And for comparison sake, my brother in law was ripping it up on a KHS 7500 650b. It's an insane bike, there were a few places where the niner could cruise through with a bit more ease, but overall it was a pretty worthy duel.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

#937 ·
my new big wheel

Greetings Niner crew...

Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
Fox 34 150 Float (K)
Reynolds R29AM wheels
Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
XX1 10-42 cassette
X01 shifter, derailleur
Thompson setback post, 410mm
WTB Pure V saddle
Niner RDO stem, 110mm
3T carbon bar, 700mm
XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
Ergon grips
20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

#938 ·
Nice bike, Go get some miles on it.

Greetings Niner crew...

Replacing/augmenting 2007 Foes XCT-5 with a new RIP9 RDO, been wanting a 29r for a while (after demoing several including the RIP) and finally caved with the blowout deals on the 2014 frames. Got the frame and a bunch of parts from Competitive, few more from Jenson, and wheels and fork off Fleabay. Have just under $4k invested. Details:

2014 RIP9 RDO medium, blue (duh).
Fox 34 150 Float (K)
Reynolds R29AM wheels
Geax Goma 2.25 (set up tubeless)
Race Face Turbine cranks, bb, 26 single ring (clyde gearing)
XX1 10-42 cassette
X01 shifter, derailleur
Thompson setback post, 410mm
WTB Pure V saddle
Niner RDO stem, 110mm
3T carbon bar, 700mm
XT brakes, dinner plate up front, salad plate in back
Ergon grips
20 yr old spare 747 pedals, beat to sh!t, er I mean "experienced"

Think that's it. I'm 5'11" so in that awkward size range. Large frame is just too tall, little too close to the boys. Medium frame is a little short since I like to be stretched out on the bike so I had to go with long stem and offset post. Feels pretty good in initial setup/adjusting. Foes weighed mid-28 lb range on a scale. This one is noticeably lighter but haven't put it on a scale yet. Going riding tomorrow... Psyched! Here are a couple of pics. Still need to trim the rear brake line.

View attachment 956157 View attachment 956158

#940 ·
Some time has Passed and I'm absolutley loving the RIP9

Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff

Attachments

#941 ·
Well I have made some changes to the 2014 RIP9 that I got last summer. I put on a PIKE 140mm, and Answer 20/20 carbon bars, been through a few tires and like the current combo I'm running. Swapped to a 22tooth front small ring, 2x10 still. Tires are the Bonty XR-3 Team issue out back and up front is a Nevegal , again. Tried Conti's Mountain King , didn't like them at all.
The bars have a 20 degree sweep back. Like an old "Mary" bar. Carbon helps deaden some of the bad vibes.
The Pike is just incredibly smooth and strong and stiff
I'm interested in your thoughts on those Answer bars, control and comfort vs a regular sweep, etc. Also, even though there is a forward sweep to keep hand position more forward, it looks to me like you might need a bit longer stem to get the same hand position as with a normal bar?

#947 ·
I would think medium as well. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam and I had to move my seat forward and change from a 50 to 70mm stem (as compared to my 2012 alloy RIP9) to keep the weight on the front end for the long climbs.

Sent from my iPad (so I blame autocorrect for the spellin' errs)

#948 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody, I really appreciate all the input. I've been leaning toward the medium for the reasons Gordon and OhioPT stated, with most of my riding being in tight trees and rolling terrain.
Muzz, I checked my seat hight on my current bike and I've got it at about 740, so I would end up having roughly the same amount of seatpost exposed as you do on the large.
Anyways, thanks again for the input. These forums have been immensely helpful in my quest for a new ride. I'll put up some pics when she's all put together!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.