Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

412K views 1K replies 325 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
Niner RIP9 Setup Thread

RIP9 owners, here's your chance to share your setup and help other riders that are researching sizing and spec'ing of RIP9s. This thread should be used for others to browse frame size, rider height/inseam/weight, riding terrain, and stem/seatpost/bar setups most of all. If you're looking for detailed discussion of travel issues, etc you may want to check the RIP 9 Fine Tuning and Development Thread.

Let's keep this thread clean, with specific questions taken outside via PMs. Feel free to add any extra information, but do your best to keep the same order. And, if possible, try to post a pic taken side-on w/ drivetrain showing. Bonus points for an extra ride shot, especially if taken while airborne :thumbsup:.

#846 ·
Mine went in pretty easy compared to the Rip 9 that they came out of, but with the preload you give the bearings it shouldn't be a problem.
No creaking. Mine are the FSA headset. Remember to re-check them after a few ride though.

BTW you would be well served by checking cytoe's skid plates out for your frame!

#847 ·
I have brand new skid plate on it right now. I also had one on my Jet 9 that I am selling. Cytoe did great work with those. The RIP bottom linkages hang way more below the front 1x ring I have than the Jet did. No doubt I will need it.

Also going to do some preventative rock taping this time.

Any suggested areas besides the inside of the rear triangle and where any cables will rub?

#849 ·
I'd definitely address the cable hot spots.

The only other suggestion I'd make is the inside of the rear triangle. It can get pretty beat up and its the only place I'm going to tape. I have always been a use it and abuse it owner of anything from bikes to skis to clothes. Keeping things nice seems like time that could be spent using the product so long as maintenance is done.

Maybe I'm getting more responsible as I get older. I guess I want any preventative protection I can get for obvious spots. The inside of the rear triangle can take a beating from tire rub to rocks, mud, etc. Other than that I don't see much need to tape as well.

#850 ·
For the record, if anyone is on the fence with height (5'7"-5'8"), I'd go with a small.

The stand over height, flickability is greatly improved over the larger size and I don't think I gave up anything in stability. Way more "in the bike" feel people talk about.

RIP 9 RDO is a fantastic bike.

#854 ·
Hmmm, that's what I'm wondering. Tho, I read some reviews about a Pivot (they use same new technology) and there did seem to be an improvement in ride quality. Anyone know when the new frames hit the market?
Also iirc, the weight difference on Rip is negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#855 ·
I am 5'11, 32" inseam. Looking at a medium 2011 Rip 9. I came off a Salsa Spearfish medium and like like a slightly compact fit. I just read in Mountain Bike Fiction that the current Rip corners like a lumber wagon? I like most of what I read about this bike but I do like riding technical stuff and small wheelie drops to negotiate tight sections. Is the 2011 frame weight 7lbs for a medium? I am reading as much as I can before I buy. Thanks,Flash

#857 ·
-MAIN PURPOSE: XC and AM
-TRAIL LOCATION/TERRAIN: Colorado: Front Range, Winter Park, etc.
-RIDER WEIGHT: 210 w/ gear
-RIDER HEIGHT: 6' height, 33" inseam

-FRAME: 2014 Niner Rip Nine RDO (Large, Licorice Black)
-REAR SHOCK: Niner tuned Fox Float CTD
-FORK: RockShox PIKE RCT3 Solo Air 140mm, 46mm offset
-HEADSET: Chris King Inset, Model 2
-STEM: Niner RDO alloy, 80mm length, 6° rise w/ 30mm of headset spacers
-HANDLEBARS: Race Face SIXC 3/4” Carbon Riser, 760mm width, 8° rear sweep, 4° up sweep
-GRIPS: SRAM Grip Shift
-BRAKES: Front & rear Magura MT-6
-BRAKE ROTORS: 203f/180r Magura Storm SL
-SHIFTERS: SRAM X0 2x10 Grip Shift
-FRONT DERAILLEUR: SRAM X0 2x10 (S3 low) direct-mount, bottom pull
-REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X0 Type 2 10-speed medium-cage
-CRANKSET: Race Face Next SL Carbon, 175mm, 24/38
-BOTTOM BRACKET: Race Face Cinch
-CHAIN: SRAM PC1071, 10 speed
-CASSETTE: SRAM PG 1070, 11-36
-PEDALS: Crank Bros. Candy 3
-RIMS: NOX Composites AM-29 Hookless Carbon
-HUBS: Industry Nine Torch
-SPOKES: Sapim CX-Ray
-NIPPLES: Sapim hexagonal alloy
-FRONT TIRE: Maxxis Ardent 2.4 EXO
-REAR TIRE: Maxxis Ikon 2.35 3C/EXO/TR
-SEAT POST: Kind Shock LEV, 125mm
-SADDLE: WTB Pure V Pro, Ni-Cro rails

-BUILD WEIGHT: 27 point something w/o pedals

-OTHER 26'er BIKES OWNED: Specialized FSR Pro Carbon, Specialized M2 Pro
-FUTURE CHANGES: After pictures were taken, bars were cut down from 285mm to 260mm, 60mm stem swapped w/ 80mm, bar ends and ODI grips & clamps were removed. Weight was 28.1 w/ that setup.
-COMMENTS, ETC: Ground-up custom build as a "dream-bike" retirement present (from the AF) for me. This beast is easily capable of writing checks my body has utterly no hope of cashing. Initially had short stem, stupidly wide bars on it, but changed to a (somewhat) shorter bar and a bit longer stem-- the bike seems to really like the longer stem better; changing it out solved my pogo-ing issues on the climbs. It's as close of a "single-quiver" bike as I've ever seen. If it has any limitations, I don't want to find them, as I'll be in an ER someplace.

Attachments

#859 ·
Thank you!

One thing I forgot to mention-- those Nox Composites wheels are TERRIFYING (in a Very Good Way). They are stupidly stiff, and you point, and you are gone. It's a whole other experience coming from alloy hoops. I'm having to relearn a bit on how to use them. They are FAST!

The I9 hubs are great, but they're loud, loud, loud! Those extra pawl's make a constant zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz noise--- it's not bad, but it's sure an attention getter!

Bottom line? I'm VERY glad I got talked out of the Flow EX's in favor of the Nox's.

R.

#862 · (Edited)
Thank you Muzzanic! Just to complete :

-Main purpose : AM, Enduro
-Trail location/terrain: France.
-Frame Year/Size/Color: 12/black, size L
-Rider Weight: 75 kg
-Rider Height/Inseam: 1m86
-Stem (length/rise): SB3 Flowy 50 mm, 0°
-Seatpost: KS i900R
-Handlebar: Raceface Atlas 750mm, 10mm rise
-Rear Shock: Stock RP23
-Fork: RS Pike RC 150
-Brake Setup: Shimano XT
-Drivetrain Setup: 1x10, SRAM X9 Type 2. 24T, 11-36
-Tires: OnOne smorgasbord 2.25 rear/Chunky Monkey2.4 front
-Wheels: ArchEx, Hope Pro 2 Evo
-Build Weight: 14 kg

#864 ·
Thank you Muzzanic! Just to complete :

-Main purpose : AM, Enduro
-Trail location/terrain: France.
-Frame Year/Size/Color: 12/black, size L
-Rider Weight: 75 kg
-Rider Height/Inseam: 1m86
-Stem (length/rise): SB3 Flowy 50 mm, 0°
-Seatpost: KS i900R
-Handlebar: Raceface Atlas 750mm, 10mm rise
-Rear Shock: Stock RP23
-Fork: RS Pike RC 150
-Brake Setup: Shimano XT
-Drivetrain Setup: 1x10, SRAM X9 Type 2. 24T, 11-36
-Tires: OnOne smorgasbord 2.25 front/Chunky Monkey2.4 rear
-Wheels: ArchEx, Hope Pro 2 Evo
-Build Weight: 14 kg
Any reason you're running a skinnier tire up front? I'm a big fan of the ChMonk, but mainly for its front end capabilities. Not used to seeing people running a smaller tire up front than in the back.

RDO frame
Pike Fork 140
XX1
XTR BRAKE
ROVAL CARBON WHEELS
CRANK BROS PEDALS
LEV POST
RENTHAL COCKPIT
PURG/GROUND CONTROL
BONTI SEAT

190# TRAIL RIDER
Pics, dude! Sounds nice, though.

#874 ·
Rip9 vs Rip9 RDO

There isn't a huge difference between the 2.

It depends on how you look at it.

If you are on a limited budget & have to pay an extra 1k for the RDO frame, You could end up building a better bike putting that extra 1k into the wheels & running gear IMO.

In short, If you have brought the 2015 Alloy, Don't worry you are not way off the mark from what the RDO can do.

I'm about to head out so don't have a lot of time so will sit down tonight & wright my thoughts.

#875 ·
Imo, after selling alloy and buying rdo the biggest difference is the rear shock. The RDO handles chatter better and feels a bit more lively. I prefer ed my alloy for descents because it felt more stable with the longer stays. As pointed out, nothing major though between them.

#876 ·
Thanks guys I didn't think it would be that big of a difference. I have the 1 star and I think I'm gonna upgrade the brakes first rear one at least and then try and find a deal on some carbon rims. Gotta save up some dough first though, after buying the bike and planning a wedding I am pretty strapped for cash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.