Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The RIP9 Setup Thread (all years, forever and ever)

412K views 1K replies 325 participants last post by  bear 
#1 ·
Niner RIP9 Setup Thread

RIP9 owners, here's your chance to share your setup and help other riders that are researching sizing and spec'ing of RIP9s. This thread should be used for others to browse frame size, rider height/inseam/weight, riding terrain, and stem/seatpost/bar setups most of all. If you're looking for detailed discussion of travel issues, etc you may want to check the RIP 9 Fine Tuning and Development Thread.

Let's keep this thread clean, with specific questions taken outside via PMs. Feel free to add any extra information, but do your best to keep the same order. And, if possible, try to post a pic taken side-on w/ drivetrain showing. Bonus points for an extra ride shot, especially if taken while airborne :thumbsup:.

#205 ·
scolli said:
Sweet. Just received my from...same color.

what hub are you using with the FLOWS and how do you like it
Industry 9 Enduro wheelset with their proprietary spoke and hub set-up. I've been really happy with the I9 stuff so far, I have another set of their Classic/Flanged hubs and they are very sweet and super easy to swap of to any of the current axle formats.

#206 ·
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on the I9 Enduro. Did you get a good deal on 'em. If so, where?

thanks

tri-tele said:
Industry 9 Enduro wheelset with their proprietary spoke and hub set-up. I've been really happy with the I9 stuff so far, I have another set of their Classic/Flanged hubs and they are very sweet and super easy to swap of to any of the current axle formats.

#208 ·
Weight 30.40lbs using a Feedback Sports hanging scale. She's a fatty but I love her. I was shooting for 28lbs but I can't think of what I could swap out that wouldn't hurt durability and strength.

This is my first 29er and all I can say is W O W! I can go anywhere with this beast!

Rip 9 Small Balck Ano
Niner OEM Fox F29 120 RL w/ taper
Sun EQ27 rims
DT Comp spokes with alum nipples
Hope Pro2 front hub and Chris King ISO Rear hub with stainless steal drive shell
Maxxis Ardent 2.40 front and 2.25 rear with tubes
Thomson 100mm stem
Niner Flat Bar
Headset- stock FSA
XO twist shifters
ODI Lock on grips
Thomson 410mm seatpost
WTB Rocket SLT
SLX 36/22 double with bash
SLX BB
Hope Tech M4's
XTR pedals
XO rear Der. Long length
SLX front Der.
Hope seat clamp
Salsa rear skewer
Shimano Der cables
Sram PG 991 11-34 cassette
Sram 990 cross step chain

Attachments

#210 ·
cinemachine said:
Finally finished off building up this baby after several months of researching and purchasing components. I must say the wait was worth it as she rides beautifully.

Very detailed pics of the components and more pics of the bike can be found by checking out this gallery.

Looks really good

Not sure if you are aware of this but this comes from the thomson web site:
"December, 2009 Safety Alert
From time to time people strip and reanodize our products to get colors other than the black and silver we offer. There are products like this for sale on eBay right now. This is unsafe and not authorized by Thomson. The process of stripping and reanodizing will make the part physically smaller, and much too brittle. There is no warranty of any kind on a part so modified and it can result in a catastrophic failure. Please let us know if you have questions about this. "

#211 · (Edited)
Box Fresh!

Just built this today, have to sort out my brake hose.

I think poo brown looks pretty good with kashima!

:D

I`m waiting for my new wheel set which is Crest,supercomp, Acros hubs. I also have a new Middleburn crank on its way too.

Otherwise its xtr/XO mix with Acros seatpost, stem and ceramic BB. Its pretty light but hasnt been on the scales yet.

#212 ·
Have you weighed it yet?

fux said:
Just built this today, have to sort out my brake hose.

I think poo brown looks pretty good with kashima!

:D

I`m waiting for my new wheel set which is Crest,supercomp, Acros hubs. I also have a new Middleburn crank on its way too.

Otherwise its xtr/XO mix with Acros seatpost, stem and ceramic BB. Its pretty light but hasnt been on the scales yet.

#214 ·

Just a few rides in and lovin' it!

Frame Niner R.I.P 9 Milk dud large
Fork FOX R29
Headset FSA
Rear Shock Fox RP23
Rims/Wheels Stans flow
Hubs Yes - ZTR
Spokes 32 of 'em - each!
Tires WTB MutanoRaptor 29x2.3
Crankset Truvativ Stylo 3.3 22/32/44
Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP
Front Derailleur Shimano XT 771
Rear Derailleur Sram X7
Rear Cogs Sram 950
Shifters SRAM X7
Handlebars Truvativ Stylo
Tape/Grips WTB Weirwolf
Stem Truvativ Stylo
Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5
Brakes Avid Elixir 5 160
Pedals Shiman SPD
Saddle WTB Silverado
Seat Post Truvativ Stylo
Seat Binder Salsa Lip-Lock

#216 ·
-Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): Trail

-Trail location/terrain: Southwest Colorado/Moab

-Frame Year/Size/Color: 09/M/Raw

-Rider Weight: 185

-Rider Height/Inseam: 5'11"/32"

-Stem (length/rise): Titec Pluto, 90mm, 6 deg . 15mm spacer underneath (will lower soon).

-Seatpost: Thomson Elite Straight

-Handlebar: Easton XC hi rise carbon

-Rear Shock: Stock RP23

-Rear settings (psi, etc.): 150psi (I think. It is set for 25% sag) , 2 clicks before fastest rebound

-Fork: 2011 Fox FIT TALAS 120 1.5t QR15

-Fork settings (psi, etc.): 100psi

-Brake Setup: XTR 180/160

-Drivetrain Setup: All XT, Shadow Rear D.

-Tires: Specialized The Captain S-Works 2 bliss

-Wheels: Front: Hope Pro 2, DT Comp, Stans Arch. Rear: DT 240s w/ 36t ratchet, DT comp, Stans Arch

-Pedals: Time ATAC XS Carbon Titan

-Needless bling: Niner Y.A.W.Y.D. headset top cap, currently sporting Stone's Arrogant Bastard cap

-Build Weight: 29.?lbs.

-Other 29er bikes owned: Kona Unit 2-9, Redline Monocog Flight
-Mileage on RIP9: 3 rides/7 hours. I just finished putting it together late last week.
-Future Changes: More rides

-Comments, etc: Hope it would have been lighter, WrenchScience.com custom builder page put it at 27.40lbs but that isn't what I'm seeing. Rides like a dream anyway. Felt like I was between sizes (M/L) glad I went M, seems plenty long in the TT and is that much more playful being a bit small.

I used a few parts I had from a 26er I parted out to get this bike, and about 6 other, mostly web, sources to put this together, including ebay, chainreaction, treefortbikes, craigslist and LBS. In total I have about $3200 into it minus the $1200ish I got for the bike I parted means I only had to lay out about 2k.

I freak'n love it.

Pedal damn it!

Pictures soon
-Scott

Issues: BAD BAD brake squeal. XTR w/ stock Ti backed resin pads.
Creaks and clicks in the left crank/BB linkage area.

#219 ·
Aweather said:
Just put the finishing touches on my RIP9 build, I'll take it out for its maiden ride next week. I'm really stoked! This thread was very helpful it sorting out some setup details for this bike to thanks to everyone for that!
I've been through several tires on my Rip and the Ardent 2.4 is my favorite, you will love the RIP!!

#220 ·
my rip 9 build

its an 07 but just built it up yesterday,
only thing left to do is replace factory decals that look worn, niner sent me a new set but they are water transferable so im not sure how thats gonna play out, i would have to clear over them the frame is ano so not sure how to go about this?:madman:

Attachments

#221 ·
Just did the RIP shake-down ride today. Here 'tis.

Specs:
- 09 RIP w/ Fox F29 120mm, Maxle rear axle - bought from a MTBR member :)
- XT drivetrain, SRAM shifting, Hayes brakes
- Hope hubs, MTX33 rims, 36 spokes, tubeless - built by Mike C.
- KindShock post, Specialized saddle, ATAC pedals, Easton bars, Ergon grips

During this ride, I realized it's the first time I've ever been on a mountain bike that just went where I pointed it. I could FINALLY rail the off-camber stuff without wincing and planning my dismount strategy just in case. The big wheels are ever so slightly less flickable, but since I'm not constantly over-correcting for the deflection of the front fork, I'm just aiming where I want to go and trusting it.

I'm not going to gush about how grippy the rear wheels are when climbing, or how much more endo-resistant it feels. I'm pretty much spoiled now.

It does feel a bit heavier and significantly 'taller', but that's a good trade-off for a bike that doesn't feel like it's twisting like a pretzel underneath my clydesdale ass.

Also, I like Milk Dud. :p

A few more rides to make sure my position is dialed in, and I can trim down the steerer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.