Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    MTB B'dos
    Nice RIP9, great build
    If the trails in the pics are indicative of what you ride I think you'll be quite happy with them - the Mtn.Kings love loamy - but if you have some good rock/hardpack you might not be so happy, especially with the 2.2" - small, tall knobs are quite squirmy on hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by fljohnmtbkr
    ................................Comments: I've only ridden it about a half dozen times from muddy to dry terrain. First impression is that cross country/downhill is fast and responsive. Uphill climbing not a huge difference from my 26", but that may be due to me being out of shape. Although locking front fork is a big plus. Shifting and braking is incredible. The Mt.King tires are awesome for muddy winter conditions, but not sure how they will do in dry summer trails. Going tubeless has been fine so far, although I do lose pressure in front for no reason. Love the Hope hubs. Also nice not having to take front tire on and off. Bought a Highroller upright bike mount. ................................
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Don't mess with a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by megalow maniac
    Main purpose (XC, AM, etc): XC and trail cruising
    -Trail location/terrain: Düsseldorf/Bergisches Land, Germany, fast singletrack, short but frequent up- and downhills.
    -Frame Year/Size/Color: 07/Large/Blue - Version 1.2 (with extra reinforcement gusset at the rear of the seattube)
    -Rider Weight: 190
    -Rider Height/Inseam: 6'5"/35,5"
    -Stem (length/rise): Thomson Elite, 120mm, 5 deg., no spacers.
    -Seatpost: USE Sumo straigt with 1cm layback
    -Handlebar: Salsa Pro Moto 11°bend
    -Rear Shock: Stock RP23
    -Rear settings (psi, etc.): 135psi, standard setting rebound (4 clicks)
    -Fork: Reba Race @ 100mm with remote poploc
    -Fork settings (psi, etc.): 135/145psi pos/neg.
    -Brake Setup: Formula Oro K24, 7" rotors front and rear.
    -Drivetrain Setup: 3x9, SRAM X9 rear derailleur, Middleburn cranks (175mm). Blackspire rings with 22,32,42t, crankbrothers cobalt CroMo bottom bracket.
    -Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 2,1" rear, Panaracer Rampage 2,35" front
    -Wheels: NoTubes ZTR Arch 29er with Hope Pro 2 hubs
    -Build Weight: no idea

-Other 29er bikes owned: Niner Air9
    -Mileage on RIP9: constantly growing...
    -Future Changes: Easton EA 70 mid-rise handlebar. In the distant future probably a fork with more travel.
    -Comments, etc: Fun bike! Easy to climb with, smile-inducing on descends. A bit slow on the plains. This bike boosts my confidence in technical terrain!

Now with mid-rise handlebar, Shimano Hone cranks and the sweet new Reba Team with Maxle light. The bike feels totally different now with this fork: Downhill I go much faster yet feel more confident. In the plains the bike pedals more efficiently even though the fork changes the geo from XC to more AM (I feel to be more "in" the bike)... Only downside is when going uphill: The front end lifts quickly. That was to be expected, though. After all, I really enjoy my RIP with the improved geometry and the added travel.

Ballstein Models
    Made a few changes while waiting for the trails to dry out around here. Thought I would share some R.I.P. 9 "Classic" bike pron

-Frame Year/Size/Color: 2008 Large Hi-Po Silver
    -Fork: Fox F-29 120mm
    -Headset: Chris King No Threadset 1 1/8 Green Sotto Voce
    -Stem (length/rise): Hope 90mm 0 rise 31.8
    -Headset Cap: Niner YAWYD, bottle cap chosen: Rogue or Bells Oberon
    -Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon NanoTube
    -Bar Ends: Singletrack Solutions ST-Pro
    -Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-on Green clamps
    -Brakes: Hope Tech M4 Disc brakes w/ steel braided lines
    -Brake Rotors: Hope M4 Floating 203mm/180mm Gold
    -Shifters: SRAM XO trigger w/ hope matchmakers
    -Saddle: Koobi PRS-Enduro
    -Seatpost: Thompson Elite Setback 34.9x367mm
    -Seatpost Collar: Salsa Green Fliplock QR
    -Rear Shock: Fox RP23
    -Pedals: Crank Bros Candy SL Black
    -Crankset: Silver Race Face Deus XC 175mm
    -Chainrings: Actiontec Ti 20t, MTBR member BRUZED's 30t, FSA 40t
    -Bottom Bracket: Chris King Green 68mm
    -Cassette: SRAM PCG-990 11-34t
    -Chain: SRAM PCG-991 cross link
    -Rear Derailleur: SRAM XO 20th anniversary medium cage
    -Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M971
    -Cables : Allifgator iLinks Silver
    -Tires: Panaracer Rampage 29x2.35
    -Tubes: Stan's NoTubes solution
    -Wheelset: Industry Nine 29er Enduro Gold hubs, Gold spokes
    -Skewers: Salsa Flipoffs Green
    -Rims: Stan's ZTR Flow
    -Build Weight: 29.48 via digital scale
    -Other 29er bikes owned: Surly Karate Monkey, Soul Cycles Dillinger SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hogprint; 04-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member

Update to My Original Post

Purpose: XC/AM - Longer Rides than my GF HT
    Rider Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 210 (racing season), 220 all other times
    Frame: 2008 Closeout L/Anno Silver w/ Fox RP23
    Fork: Manitou Minute w/ 20mm thru Axle (black)
    Crankset: Truvativ Noir 3 Ring
    Shifters: SRAM x9
    Rear Derailleur: Sram x0
    Front Derailleur: XT
    Handlebars: Bontrager Race X-Lite Flat OS w/ 9 deg backswing
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback
    Seat: WTB Devo
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 185mm front, 160mm rear rotors
    Headset: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro
    Wheels: Stans Flows w/ WTB Laser Lite, Black DB Spokes,Red Nips
    Cassette: SRAM 990
    Chain: SRAM PG-990 Cross Step (970 is garbage)
    Stem: Race Face Deus XC
    Pedals: Shimano 545 (stolen off of my HT)

Initial Thoughts: I have been riding the RIP for about 2 months now, and I am in complete and total love with this bike. It can go anywhere, do anything, climbs as well as my HT, feels in total control on the DH, and is comfortable to ride for hours. The T/A fork really adds to the difference in front end stiffness and I think it is one of my favorite differences of this bike from bikes in the past. I would rather change the picture, but I figured it was time to make this build post official.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

banned
    schweet! we are gonna put that thing through the ringer at wilson's creek this weekend. I see you picked up one of the yeti sdg ti fly saddles from jenson while they were $50.00. I gave mine to motobutane because it clashed with my color scheme. As Deone Sanders always says, "lookin good is 90% of doing anything"

Everyone all together welcome Keith to the Fray, you are amongst family now.;>)

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    I saw this Large RIP 9 frame at Sundance Cyclery, in Agoura Hills, CA. It was paid for last October, waiting for parts to build it up.... Sorry if the pic is blurry, only so steady can I hold my BlackBerry when I saw a new 2009 RIP.

I wonder if this belongs to PaloComadoGrinder ?

mtbr member
    That's my baby! BTW it's an XL. I'm 6'3" and between 200 and 215 lbs. depending on ratio of riding vs. tequila consumption. Watching another thread re: frame sizing I'm getting a bit worried that it'll be too big.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

As I spotted on the pictures mud clearance near the chainstay seams to be not the biggest I've ever seen.
    So here comes my question: did any of you experience any clogging problems? Especially while running wider tyres (2.3"+), or during winter time, or in sticky conditions?

Will appreciate very much your reply.
    Cheers!
    I.

Out there
    Aug 2006

The 2009 RIP9 Setup Thread

Since Our Dear Leader refuses to make a sticky I thought I'd launch this thread so that newbs don't get confused by a setup thread that talks about two very different models of the same bike (especially vis-a-vis clearance issues). Keep it near the top by posting your set-ups.

Here's mine as originally built up:

Original build was:

09 Medium Niner RIP9 Frame
    Fox 120 RL OEM fork
    AmClassic wheels + Rampages
    SRAM X9 shifters + RD
    Shimano M771 FD
    Shimano XT 22/32/44 crankset
    SRAM 11-34 cassette
    Shimano Msomething SPDs (the nice ones but not XTR)
    Formula K24 brakes 180f/160r
    Raceface 400mm seatpost cut down to about 360mm
    WTB Pure saddle
    Raceface stem
    Dangerboy riser bars
    Odi/Oury lockons
    SRAM flak jacket cables (but will be swapped out for Gore cables ASAP)

My regular rides are technical Ontario singletrack, LOTS of rocks and roots, fast descents, steep climbs and bits you need to trials your way through. With this bike I generally choose the hardest line, which is a new thing for me.

I don't know the exact pressures but I am running about 25% sag front and back. Even on fairly big hits. Back is around 140 psi, front around 90 I think but I have not got it dialled yet. I will say that the bike seems to work well with a big range of pressures... you can change the feel completely from an XC stiffness to an AM plushness. I have not done anything more than a 3' drop to flat on this bike but it feels like it could handle a LOT more.

Tires are running 30 psi front, 32ish rear.

I wrapped the chainstay in an innertube. I the the upper chainstay needs wrapping too.

I ran into the same problem as several other people, which is the chain sucking up between the big ring and the chainstay. This only happened for me when the chain was muddy, but round here that's often enough that it's a deal breaker. I did have a bent big ring tooth but straightening it out didn't solve the problem.

My solution was a new Ultegra chain and a bash ring to replace the 44. No problems since then. I will probably go for a 42 at some point if that seems to work for folk.

Awesome bike. Incredibly confidence inspiring.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Closekids.com
    Does the tapered fork still take a 1 1/8 headset? Or you you need something special?

Closekids.com

What size Lizard Skin?

Does anyone know what size Lizard Skin chainstay protectors fit?
    Going to slap one on the top and bottom chainstays.

Thank you.

MTB B'dos
    If I remember right it takes about a 1/3 length of a 26" inner tube cut in 1/2 Seriously, throw on the inner tube and get cheap and very effective noise dampening. I was all worried about looks when got my firs nice bike - Giant Trance - and used a Lizard Skin, but it didn't cover the entire stay and the Trance had hydro formed stays that didn't quite fit any of the standard sizes. By the time I got my RIP9 I had figured out that innner tubes fit any shape and size, cost nada and work absolutelu at absorbing the impacts and deadening the noise- first thing I did before even considering building it up was to wrap the stays.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    Does anyone know what size Lizard Skin chainstay protectors fit?
    Going to slap one on the top and bottom chainstays.

Thank you.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Saucy Size Moderator
    Hey, awesome details. I'm going to merge this into the RIP thread so we can keep all the RIP materials nice and tidy.

Your dear leader,

p.

mtbr member
    The Jumbo fits the lower chainstay nice and tight. Two pairs of hands helps with installation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have had really good luck with road bike handlebar tape in stead of a Lizzard skin...super durable...the "padded" type tones down the chain slap noise...some high quality black elec tape to finish off the ends with a zip tie for good measure

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I'm in the inner tube camp. I don't even cut mine in half, just wrap it on as is and secure with a zip tie. I like the way it looks... don't f*&^ with me.

I also use inner tubes to wrap the upright on my hitch-mount bike carrier.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    I'm in the inner tube camp. I don't even cut mine in half, just wrap it on as is and secure with a zip tie. I like the way it looks... don't f*&^ with me.

I also use inner tubes to wrap the upright on my hitch-mount bike carrier.

Do you leave the valve stems on for deep water crossings? You know....just in case
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Took my new RIP9 out in the woods the other day. This is my first full-suspension bike, so I haven't got much to compare it to, except a few 29er hardtails. But I must say it feels really great, and so much more comfortable when spending many hours out on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike as it is right now:

Frame: 09 RIP9 size L Milk Dud Ano
    Fork: 08 Minute 120mm QR
    Drivetrain: XT
    Brakes: XT 160mm f/b
    Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
    Bar: Easton EA70 high-riser
    Seat and post: Some old stuff
    Wheels: Arch 32h with XT hubs
    Tires: Racing Ralph 2.4 front and 2.1(?) rear.
    Weight: No clue. Out on the trails I can hardly feel the weight difference from the Air9.

The wheels are from my Air9, but worked fairly good. Anyway, I have some newly built wheels ready to go on: Flow 36h with Shimano Saint hubs, 10mm axle rear and 20mm axle front. I was sent a wrong fork with 9mm QR instead of the 20mm, but got it dirt cheap, so I will be using it until I can pick up another 120mm with 20mm axle on sale. The seatpost is an old Kona, but I've got a Thomson Elite here, just have to swipe the floor to find the bolts I dropped and lost. Also, I'm 185cm (6'1") tall with normal proportions, and a 70mm stem feels a lot better than a 90mm for me (on a size L frame). Rear shock pressure I don't know yet. Felt pretty good right out of the box, with about 25 % sag, maybe a little more. Will have to fine-tune once I get to know the bike a bit better.

I think this will be a great season with an awesome bike out riding the trails here in Norway. Thanks for reading, and here are some more photos for you. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Nice Ride & Pictures......

- I'm close to a photo-rundown of my new RIP. 15qr/Taper Fork should be here anytime and a new set of brakes to top it off.....

I will say, my bike is light, fast, and I have not had any issues whatsoever. In fact I raced it last weekend after 1 break-in ride to 2nd place in the 10 man 24HOA at Laguna Seca. We completed 2 full laps more than last year so it's AT LEAST, IF NOT MORE efficient than my 07' RIP even though it does weigh a little more.

VERY happy!

MTB B'dos
    Some very nice photos indeed, Sweet looking RIP9 looks like a very sweet bit of trail there. Like the first pic very much, first one I've seen that I actually think the Milk Dud looks OK. Got to ask though......Racing Ralphs Come on throw on some real rubber on that baby and experienced what it really can do

Quote Originally Posted by theDuke
    Took my new RIP9 out in the woods the other day. This is my first full-suspension bike, so I haven't got much to compare it to, except a few 29er hardtails. But I must say it feels really great, and so much more comfortable when spending many hours out on the trails.

Here's a pic of the bike as it is right now:

MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the comments! The wheels were just borrowed from my Air9 to do some riding while waiting for the more beefy ones to get done. Now they're here, and will be paired with more juicy tires.

As for mountainbiking here in Norway, check out this stuff and also this to see what it's all about
    Last edited by theDuke; 06-12-2009 at 06:38 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Ah makes sense now with the RR As to Norway riding, yeah we used to have a guy post here going by Biking Viking, looked pretty sweet from his vids, but he hasn't posted in a long while.Nice pics in that thread, not sure why TROND hasn't posted them here yet

Quote Originally Posted by theDuke
    Thanks for the comments! The wheels were just borrowed from my Air9 to do some riding while waiting for the more beefy ones to get done. Now they're here, and will be paired with more juicy tires.

As for mountainbiking here in Norway, check out this stuff to see what it's all about
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Closekids.com

New RIP stem

I assume that the new RIP uses a standard stem, but wanted to double check before I got one. I know the headset is different. Thanks.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Yes, standard stem.

mtbr member

My Rip 9 2009

I just want to post my 2009 Rip 9, got it 2 weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast